Many anti-virus software apps do a good job of cleaning up viruses and Trojans, but only relatively recently have they begun to effectively address the newer threat vector of spyware and adware. Which anti-spyware utility is worthy of a space in your computer first-aid box?
As its name implies, Spybot Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware as well as adware. For years, it has been available completely free for home and non-commercial use. I put Spybot through its paces and to find out whether it lives up to its promises. Here's what I learned.
SpyBot Search & Destroy's strengths:
- Huge database with more than 90,000 definitions of spyware and adware
- Actively maintained database with downloadable updates
- Simple download-install-scan for basic users
- Powerful advanced features
- Completely free
SpyBot Search & Destroy's weaknesses:
- Malware comes in many forms. You will probably want to pair SpyBot with some solid anti-virus and anti-rootkit software.
The Right Tool for the Job?
Although I would not recommend using Spybot as one's only tool anti-malware tool , it is an outstanding spyware and adware remover. I've made a place for Spybot Search & Destroy in my computer rescue kit. More me, it is definitely The Right Tool for the Job.
Read my comprehensive screenshot review of SpyBot Search & Destroy.
Paul Mah is a writer and blogger who lives in Singapore, where he has worked for a number of years in various capacities within the IT industry. Paul enjoys tinkering with tech gadgets, smartphones, and networking devices.