Explore the history, applications, business challenges, and technical issues surrounding broadband wireless
Source: Prentice Hall PTR
Receive a high-level overview of broadband wireless concepts in this chapter download from Understanding the Fundamentals of WiMAX: Understanding Broadband Wireless Networking. Study its history, applications, business challenges, and technical design issues. The chapter asserts the following:
- Broadband wireless could be a significant growth market for the telecom industry.
- Broadband wireless has had a checkered history, and the emergence of the WiMAX standard offers a significant new opportunity for access.
- Broadband wireless systems can be used to deliver a variety of applications and services to both fixed and mobile users.
- WiMAX could potentially be deployed in a variety of spectrum bands: 2.3GHz, 2.5GHz, 3.5GHz, and 5.8GHz.
- WiMAX faces a number of competitive challenges from both fixed-line and third-generation mobile broadband alternatives.
- The service requirements and special constraints of wireless broadband make the technical design of broadband wireless quite challenging.
Author: Jeffrey G. Andrews, Arunabha Ghosh, Rias Muhamed
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Chapter 1: Introduction to Broadband Wireless
ISBN: 0-13-222552-2; Copyright 2007 Prentice Hall. All rights reserved.
Used with permission from the publisher. Available from booksellers or direct from Prentice Hall