I just read yesterday at this link about different magazine's reviews on firewalls some credible, some not, about their favorites:
A jumping off point for those who need a different firewall, and so far, Outpost Firewall is doing its job FOR ME, we have to let you decide, because lets face it, they all have their good points and some bad points too (especially for P2P applications, you have to let the whole world into your PC because you have to share, and the hackers love this about Firewalls and P2P sharing. But, anyways, moving on to the Firewalls.
Some of the favorites from the magazine link above are:
1) Outpost ---- so far so good
2) Zone Alarm (however, i've been using Zone for the last year and half and lately, while using P2P (Bitcomet), my DSL connection disconnects a few times a day using it, and I have no idea other than not to use P2P/Torrent Programs for so many good reasons and immoral idiot-savant hackers.
3) Kapersky or BlackIce or Kerio --- I would be interested in these 3, have not had a chance to try them out, maybe others can post their likes/dislikes on these 3.
4) Symantec Norton --- the restrictive, slow nature of this hog I think NIS being in 3rd or 4th place is very generous.
5) Comodo --- newbie on the block?
I would not use Sygate anymore as it does not have stateful packet scanning or TRUE STEALTH protection and can not do the job for protecting against todays hackers. I used it for 3 years, loved it, but had to finally move on to something better. I have been trying Outpost now, and although it asks too many questions (even about system dll changes), I think I will keep it until I have another issue.
I like to stay away from the "Internet Suites" because while keeping with this Article good points about using a different Antivirus program than your Firewall Program so NIS (Norton Internet Suite), BitDefender, and probably, Kaperskey (have not tried this one) are out, so ALL INTERNET SUITES will NEVER be installed on this PC owner's machine.
Keep Up with TechRepublic