The following would all need to happen, but I also believe most of it is likely to happen (with variable likeliness):
1. Honeycomb is a big hit and opens up the way for more and more desktop-like Android apps
2. Android becomes dominant mobile platform
3. Google gives up on ChromeOS and focuses all that manpower to Android.
4. Android x86 port gets some backing from the industry (Intel?)
5. Android gets better and better support for native apps
6. Major Linux desktop apps are getting ported
Analogy: this is somewhat how Windows "spread" to server market. Big success of it as a desktop solution created a demand for their server software. Meanwhile MS itself figured that it wanted to spread into that market.
Keep Up with TechRepublic