is only matched by the ignorance.
Try managing SOX, ISO, and SAS compliance while reducing cost and complexity. Try managing multinode Exchange, SQL, and load balanced web farms which all must provide 5 nines availability. Try overhauling an entire datacenter operation without effecting any client oeprations.
20K for 100 user email? I have deployed entire information systems for little more than that.
First, improve your articles title to something like "Field service techs are more flexible than Corporate help desk staff." This would at least be accurate.
Second, let us look at an average day:
1) Brief review of new technologies
2) Resolve critical customer support issues
3) Audit ITIL process for compliance and impact
4) Review Exchange operations for 3 sites and integration with various partners
5) Continue upgrade of virtual infrastructure
6) Tune SAN performance for rapid provisioning and dynamic work flows
7) Maintain vendor relations
8) Put out service fires
9) Design future state architectures
10) Document, document, document
11) Develop training for other staff
I think you get the point. Next time, make sure you know what your talking about before you humiliate yourself...
Keep Up with TechRepublic