1. This student is a programmer? Is he working with you, for you or in a parallel role as a programmer?
2. Doesn't your supervisor have anything to do with it?
3. When the director says it doesn't work he doesn't care who's in his face. He just wants it fixed.
4. You take it too seriously.
5. Don't make too many excuses and don't always defend yourself since sometimes you can give the impression that it is your fault if you defend yourself aggressively.
6. Do you really know what the other guy is saying. Maybe you are feeling insecure since the new guy came.
7. Are you his supervisor or not? You need to verify that with your own supervisor and make sure he makes it clear to the new guy. Perhaps they see that you are responsible for his supervision and you don't know it.
8. Don't forget that you have superior experience.
Keep Up with TechRepublic