thanks, this guide was tremendously helpful. The setup is working nicely with my 851W. Could not have figured that out on my own, Cisco's website is just.. uhm... overwhelming.
A few remarks:
- the Excel macro button doesn't work on Excel for Mac 2004, but no big deal as one can just use the reference page manually and fill in the values
- command: "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [WAN-GW ip number]" was entered as "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet4" in my existing config, and I left it that way. Dunno if it really makes a difference.
- I added the "dns-server" command under 'ip dhcp pool VLAN20" as well, seems to miss (although maybe that's fine?)
- DHCP for Guest VLAN20 hands out IP numbers 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 etc. although those are registered as reserved - a very minor issue, but looks like an IOS bug - not sure
I'm using my Cisco with Mac computers, and they have a little issue when re-attaching themselves to the internal VLAN with the hidden SSID. Most often one has to manually choose the network again after restarting or waking the computer from sleep. Same issue with my iPod touch. So I just use "guest-mode" under VLAN1 now, which makes everything work perfectly, and I'll let my potential guests deal with the hidden SSID.
In case some guru can help me with another setup question:
- how can I set up a dedicated DMZ computer inside my LAN?
- is it possible to assign a 2nd static WAN IP to that DMZ?
I can't the heck find any documentation on those questions.
The Deranged Chef
Keep Up with TechRepublic