That have never been removed from a desktop computer?
I don't know about you but I've seen lots spent far more money that I care to think about on behalf of my customers to recover that data off the Dead HDD's that it's not funny. I currently have a contract with the local Data Recovery House only about 10 miles away so I get a better price to strip a Dead HDD and recover the data but it's still measured in the several K$ mark.
The simple data recoveries I do myself if the drive is running then I stand about a 98% chance of recovering the data and that other 2% goes to the Data Recovery House where the costs are much higher.
While the current HDD technology shows signs of promise I personally don't think it's worth the risk of trusting all your valuable data to a drive that gets moved around so much and hence runs a greater change of turning up DOA when it's really needed.
But you are welcome to your choice I just hope that you never live to Regret It.
Keep Up with TechRepublic