0x8004060C Outlook 2003 please help

By delanfe ·
Dear Smart People,

I have received:

Task 'Receiving' reported error (0x8004060C) : 'The message store has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this message store, select some items that you no longer need, and permanently (SHIFT + DEL) delete them.'

This is not an option for me as the data in the file is needed.

I have compacted which had no effect.

My goal is to make a new pst file and still be able to see my previous 5000 emails as before.

I know I have done this before because I have emails from 2004 and the entire size of my Inbox with subfolders is greater than 2.4 GB.

Is it possible to start using a new pst file while continuing to see and have access to the previous batch of emails and maintain the same detailed folder organization?

I appreciate any help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Creating a new PST

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to 0x8004060C Outlook 2003 ...

It's easy to create additional PST files and copy messages to them.

In Outlook go to File->New->Outlook Data File and choose the top option for a newer type PST.
Give it a suitable name, such as Personal Archive (just something different than 'Personal Folders').

This will now appear in the left pane of Outlook as a separate Personal Folders item. Create the folder structure you need within this new file then you can move messages in bulk into it. The original title, date etc of the messages are preserved and you can copy thousands at a time.

You may even want to make separate PSTs for the different years.

I hope this helps.

Keep in mind that having more than 2000 emails in a single .PST has been know to cause problems and can often cause the PST file to become corrupt. This limitation seems to be extended somewhat in Outlook 2003 and newer but is still an issue. There is a built-in PST repair tool within Outlook, but it is not uncommon to have excessively large PST files become corrupt beyond repair making the contents unretreivable.

Collapse -

What if I

by delanfe In reply to Creating a new PST

Thanks for the help!
Is there a way to just add a new .PST file and direct new emails to be stored there and continue using the folders I have in place on the left.

I have all my customers strategically organized in these folders and to recreate that would be a chore...

Collapse -

Sure, absolutely, no problemo

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to What if I

You can set up Outlook so that mail is directed to a different Data File (.pst) and your current directory structure will remain available.
When you do this, the following folders will be added to that new data folder and cannot be removed:
Sent Items

These folders will remain (cannot be moved or deleted) in this new data file even if later you set outlook to send and receive email to a different data file.

These folders are added as new folders rather than 'moved.' Therefore, Items that are currently in folders in the Personal Folders data file, will need to be moved manually if desired. You can do this by dragging and dropping individual emails, groups of emails or entire folders.

To have mail directed to a new data file:
1. Create the new data file as previously described.
2. Restart Outlook and got to Tools - E-mail Accounts.
3. Make sure there is a dot in front of 'View or change existing e-mail accounts' in the E-mail section and click the Next button.
4. Highlight your email account.
5. In the 'Deliver new mail to the following location' drop-down list, select where you want to send and receive messages.
6. Click Finish.

Please let me know if this helps.

It is greatly appreciated if you tag useful responses as 'Helpful' by opening that post and clicking the 'Mark Helpful' button at the bottom. That way, people with a similar situation in the future will be able to quickly see what ultimately helped. Thanks.

<edited for typos>

Collapse -

This just might work...

by delanfe In reply to Sure, absolutely, no prob ...

Thanks again for your help.

To get me through the day I have just moved everything from 2006 and before to a new pst file I called Archived inbox. If needed I can search in that folder for older emails.

I am going to try to follow your suggestions later in the day when I get a moment and after my next question is answered

Q: You wrote,
"You can set up Outlook so that mail is directed to a different Data File (.pst) and your current directory structure will remain available".

Does this mean that the new emails will still show up in my original INBOX and be subject to the sorting rules I have in place for all my customers under the current INBOX but just be stored in a different .PST???

Q: Is it possible to have more than one .PST file for one personal folder?

I would prefer to not have to look in 13 INBOX folders when searching for a communication from 8 months ago.

Thanks again...

At least now I can get emails :)

Collapse -

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to This just might work...

Q #1 - No. By creating a new Data File Folder (.PST) and then directing Outlook to send mail to this Data Folder, you are creating a new inbox. All mail in the future will go to that mailbox. Sorting rules may need to be recreated. Remember, you can always try it out and then redirect mail back to your old Personal Folders data folder and delete the newly made .PST later if you want.

Q #2 - Yes. You can have as many Data Folders as you want. Only one can be named Personal Folders. Do not confuse mail folders such as Inbox, Outbox, etc. with the main Data folder. That is... the Personal Folders folder is a 'Data' folder. Mail does not go into that folder per say. It goes to a folder (Inbox) WITHIN that data folder. Outlook only has the capability to send mail to one data folder (.PST) at a time.

Preliminary and Continued Organization are key.

The best way to organize received emails for easy retrieval later, is to create different folders within the main Data Folder.
For example -
Create a Data Folder called Personal Archives.
Within it, create folders with clearly understood titles such as; 2007 First Quarter, 2007 Second Quarter, 2007 Third Quarter and so on.
Then when you receive email and finish processing it, drag and drop it into the respective folder.

<edited for clarification>

Collapse -

You have answered all of my questions. Thanks!

by delanfe In reply to Answers

Thank you.

I now know what to do..

I appreciate your assistance.

Collapse -

Creating a new PST

by dickschulz In reply to Creating a new PST

My Outlook email is stuck - no sending or receiving - error message 0x8006040C.
I deleted all trash and more than one third of my saved emaols. No results. I followed your advice to make a new PST. I opened Outlook. Choose new data file. I tried several times and always received a message <operation failed>. Any advice. **** Schulz 507 254 3287

Collapse -

Need more info...

by CaptBilly1Eye In reply to Creating a new PST

What version of Outlook?
How many emails total in the all the folders?
What Operating System?
Are you on a network or is this a stand-alone computer?
If network, do you have administrator privileges?
Have all the Office updates been performed?
What is the complete error message when you get 'operation failed'?

The more detail you can provide, the better chance that someone will have an answer.

You may want to start a new Question in order to get more responses.

Collapse -

great solution...

by djkamp In reply to Creating a new PST

Captbilly1Eye's response was the best on the numerous searches I did, including Microsofts site. Thanks for saving my day.

Collapse -

Try to use the built in Archive Feature

by Bapster In reply to great solution...

Archiving will prune out your older emails (you set how far to go back by date) and it will create a new set of folders (or PST) using SAME folder hierarchy (creates subfolders)you have in the original PST file. (Thus freeing up / reducing the size of your large, primary PST file.

Back to Software Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Software Forums