General discussion

100 mb/s LAN with 10 mb/s Router e0 port

By jan.botha ·
My question is, With a LAN running at 100 mb/s and your router only have a 10 mb/s etehrnet port , is it then better running 10 mb/s on your LAN also to prevent bottlenecks at the router?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ISPnetworker In reply to 100 mb/s LAN with 10 mb/s ...

Of course, - it depends. If you have a flat network dependent on switching more than routing, then you will benefit with 100Mb. On the other hand, if you minimize switching and do not have much same segment traffic then you will see minimal benefit. I would only use 10Mb throughout if you experience problems.

Collapse -

by D_V Ant In reply to 100 mb/s LAN with 10 mb/s ...

We have the same setup here where I work. At another site, they lowered the LAN speed to 10 mb/s. There is a noticeable difference when I access the network from their site. When going across the WAN, there does not seem to be much difference at all. I agree with the previous post, if you are not experiencing any issues, leave it as is.

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to 100 mb/s LAN with 10 mb/s ...

Other things to think about:

Even if you have a T-1 connection to the Internet, a T1 is only rated at 1.5Mbps. Therefore, whether you go with 100Mbps or only 10Mbps, that throughput only applies to your internal network.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)