General discussion

2000 Software Installs

By alig ·
Okay, here is the problem I'm running into: I don't want users to install unauthorized programs. So I don't make them Local Admins on their machine. But when I need to install software on a local machine I'll either use the run as command or the domain administrator account. But if I use either one, the install goes into the administrator profile, and most of the time the registry applies for the administrator profile. What is the best way to keep users from not installing programs they are notallowed to, but if I do need to install a program on their machine, I won't have an issue with profiles or the registry?

Thanks
Ali

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

by mgonzales In reply to 2000 Software Installs

If your running a pure 2000 enviroment then you can use Packages to install the software that the people need...this can either be assigned to the computer or to the user...

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

by alig In reply to 2000 Software Installs

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

by neil.cheperak In reply to 2000 Software Installs

I am not yet running Windows 2000 but with WinNT 4.0 I find that locking down the System32 folder usually prevents most software from installing by not allowing dll's to be written there. Grant the users Read Only rights to that folder. This, of course, does not block programs which do not write to that folder such as Snood and Yahoo instant messenger. For that I use a hardware solution called Centurian Guard (not for laptops!).

Good luck...

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

by skkzarg_death In reply to 2000 Software Installs

Best answer I have found is running SMS, but that takes a bit of time to set up correctly. Makes it VERY easy though when it comes time to roll out an app. Another perk is that you can monitor all your client machines for non-standard software that is prohibited (like yahoo messenger, webshots etc.)

Skkz

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

2000 Software Installs

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)