General discussion

2000/XP user profile

By ccthompson ·
I deleted a user profile on a machine where the user was let go from the company, I thought i had got all the documents, but she had a folder on her desktop I didnt know about.

So, I deleted the profile before I knew I needed it, is there any way I can get this back? I have tried some recover tools but with no luck.

This folder must be stored somewhere, as the file size taken up is the same before and after. And since this folder i need is full of pictures from over the years, I figure it is of good size.

Can anyone help me, I am in a bad jam.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to 2000/XP user profile

Check the Recycle bin. Otherwise try Norton Utilities to recover files.

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to
Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to 2000/XP user profile

Also, just to add, the file are not in the recycle bin, Some of the files I did get back using a recover tool, I got some of her documents, but cant seem to find her desktop and any folders there. Thanks!

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to 2000/XP user profile

In a 2000/XP environment, any machine that a user logs onto will have their profile copied to the Documents and Settings folder. Is it possible that she logged onto another machine at your company. If so, you'll find her profile there.

Collapse -

Sorry to say, but her profile was local, I did end up retreving most of her files with recover 2000 utility I found on the web.

Thanks for your post!

Collapse -

by jwalker In reply to 2000/XP user profile

Are the profiles roaming? if so there should be a copy on another machine/on the server?

Collapse -

In a 2000/XP environment, any machine that a user logs onto will have their profile copied to the Documents and Settings folder. Is it possible that she logged onto another machine at your company. If so, you'll find her profile there.

Collapse -

by chaosad In reply to 2000/XP user profile

I have had a problem in the past where the encrytion certs have been deleted and formatted over then become stuck with otherwise unencryptable files and no DRA available.
I found a tool called Active Undelete!!!!! :)
SO HAPPY I WAS!!!
http://www.active-undelete.com/
The best time to use this tool is asap when data becomes deleted. It will recover data that is otherwise considered GONE!

I hope this is useful to you.

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to 2000/XP user profile

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)