General discussion

600e won't start

By m.franklin2 ·
I have a thinkpad 600e. When I try to power up the
system, the power lights flash, and I hear a "click", and
the system shuts right back down. Can anyone help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Chris910 In reply to 600e won't start

I would be thinking that either the battery is dead and/or the the external power is not getting to the machine. (usually a bad connector) One way to see if it is a bad battery is to remove the battery and try to power up with only external power connected. if the computer starts up OK then the battery is severly discharged (try charging it overnight)or defective.
Good luck!

Collapse -

by m.franklin2 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to 600e won't start

I used to have a Thinkpad 600E and I think I know what you are talking about. A couple of times, putting it (running Win2K and XP) into Hibernation mode, I managed to get it to not come out of it. It would Hibernate correctly (and the power shuts off when it Hibernates), but then when I would flip the power switch up to turn it back on, it didn't. And the couple times this happened, the thing I remember is the Hibernation sequence just came out strange. I can't describe that any better, it just went down in an odd way.
Anyway, the only way I could the turn the 600E back on was to do the following:
1) take out the battery
2) unplug the laptop from its power cord
3) wait a few seconds
4) put the battery back in
5) plug it back into its power cord
6) push the power switch to the On position AND hold it up for several seconds that way, until it beeped.
7) release the power button
push the power button again, but this time normally to the On position, and release it (i.e. turn it on normally)

That would do it. If I did not take the battery and unplug the power cord, the power On button sequence did not work. I had to fully reset things like that.

So, give it a shot. Good luck.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by maddiuex In reply to 600e won't start

3 things. Remove the Battery, Power cables and open the laptop. Gently press in a cpr method on the keyboard. DONT Press hard, This helps reseat the cables. Second. Take out the ram and use a eraser to clean the contacts. Check the voltage of the power supply cable

Collapse -

Collapse -

by m.franklin2 In reply to 600e won't start

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)