General discussion

98 won't log into 2000 Domain

By men ·
Ok, I'm working in an office of 8 computers. We just installed a new W2k server. We purchased 5 computers about 4 mos. ago and after the Server was installed with DHCP they connected perfectly, the problem is with the two older computers, both of them have the same problem. They are set up exactly the same way as all of the others except they can't log into the W2k domain. They can browse the network except for the server. What is even stranger is that 4 out of the 60 times that I tried re-installing the IP stacks and reconfiguring the user names and passwords they connected fine, but as soon as they re-booted, they couldn't get on the network. The only difference between the new computers and the old computers is that the new ones are 98 Second Edition, and the old ones are regular 98. I am willing to buy the upgrades if that will fix it, but I am not sure if that is what the problem is.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by calves In reply to 98 won't log into 2000 Do ...

A long shot here, but do a find and look for *.pwl files. Delete all findings.
Reboot and try again.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by men In reply to 98 won't log into 2000 Do ...

Thanks, I should have put that in the original post I tried that when I blew out all of the network stacks

Collapse -

by Steve Cody In reply to 98 won't log into 2000 Do ...

Do they have any other protocols or adapters in their network configuration? I have had the same problem on some computers configured with Dialup adapters. After removing the Dialup adapter and any VPN adapter configuration, the computers logged into the domain just fine. Prior to that, they couldn't see the PDC.

Try removing any extra protocols and adapters and see if that fixes it.
Good Luck!
- Steve

Collapse -

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to 98 won't log into 2000 Do ...

You didn't say whether you are using Active Directory, but if not, I would try removing these two machines from the the domain and then re-adding them to the domain. Machine accounts authenticate against the domain by a secure channel password thatchanges every seven days or so and I've seen them get goofy and cause problems like this. Deleting and re-adding resets the machine account password.

If that doesn't work, I would agree with the other answers that there is likely a software configuration fragment somewhere (perhaps a password file like Calves suggested or the remnants of an old network stack). You could try deleting the network services (for the 61st time) only this time run regclean before you re-install and make sure youdelete all the protocol stacks, not just TCP/IP.

By this time, you might be ready to try a re-format/re-install and I wouldn't discourage that but you might want to try the domain remove/add first because a fresh workstation install will not curethat problem.

pau

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Inspectorclave In reply to 98 won't log into 2000 Do ...

You might want to check and make sure that the older computer are receiving leases from the DHCP server. I am assuming that TCP/IP is installed and configured, you can ping the loopback, and it responds correctly. If so, ping a host on the networkand ping the server. If you get a response from the server try pinging the servers NetBIOS name. If that doesn't work, then the problem is either a WINS issue, or a bad LMHOSTS file entry. Remember, NetBIOS name resolution will check WINS first before it checks the LMHOSTS file. If all else fails, remove the computer from the AD forest, then re-add them.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to 98 won't log into 2000 Do ...

Take a look into the DHCP configuration and reinstall WINS on older machines,may only be sockets configuration

Collapse -

I finally talked to a guy during my smoke break, and he mentioned that the W2k Encription was pretty wacky and I should go with the original plan, so I bought the win98 SE update disk, loaded them on both machines and without any problems they logged on and stayed on. I guess I can thank Microsoft for not making the encription backwards compatible with the original version of 98.. Thank you for all of your responses, I have written them down for future reference if something like this comes upagain

Back to Software Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums