General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

A Challenge

by jamesrl ·

I offer up to my friends at TechRepublic a little contest.

We seem to have a troll lurking in our midst. Now I’ve seen and dealt with trolls for years in other forums, but I know there are some here with a unique wit, and frankly I would enjoy seeing a bit of a friendly competition just before the holidays.

So I suggest this:

Read this thread.
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=205566

And post your best ORIGINAL troll smack on this fun loving troll. More points for directing it in the context of the discussion. Humour is highly valued, fighting bile with bile, discouraged.

I will donate a box of Candy canes, mailled to your location to the best response. I will either judge myself, or see if we can entice someone neutral from TechRepublic (Ohhhhh Beeethhhh!). I suggest the contest close by the Friday Yuk.

James

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Just in case you haven’t been following the thread…

by tig2 ·

In reply to A Challenge

James- NC is the target? If so,I shall join in with pleasure!

What a wonderful idea this is! I would only ask that Nick’s response be counted as the first entrant, even if it does precede the official contest. It was a good response and worthy of consideration.

And I will cheerfully add to that box of candy canes and ship the winner a pair of pink ribbon duckies!

This should be good!

I thought that would have been sooo obvious

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Just in case you haven’t been following the thread…

that I didn’t single out No User.

He seems to be fixated on a number of new posters, and it would be a shame to lose them.

James

Probably is obvious James

by tig2 ·

In reply to I thought that would have been sooo obvious

He has stuck his thorn in other sides in other threads. But just in case someone hadn’t been watching the play by play…

Really wish I understood what the issue is. We rarely see someone so vitriolic.

Unfortunately

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Probably is obvious James

I havent been monitoring that thread in a while. I do see that there are a lot of new posts, and I hate to say it, most are not even worth commenting on (especially NO USER). What a complete moron. I wouldnt give this person any credit or response at all. He/She is not worth any effort (kind of like a surface zit that only needs to be touched to pop).
          There are too many comments for my busy day right now (so far this week) to bother reading and following. But, I think I will follow this contest when time permits, cause it oughtta be a good one.
          Good idea for the contest.

Constipated?

by gsg ·

In reply to Probably is obvious James

Maybe he’s constipated. I recommend a nice ice water enema.

SSSHivveriiiing

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Constipated?

lol, what an evil idea. Makes me shiver just reading it. Please don’t do that again — — lol

Strange fellow isn’t he

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to A Challenge

Uses twerp and jerk in the same post, almost as though he’s trying too hard to be offensive.

My theory

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Strange fellow isn’t he

is that like any troll, he craves attention. So tried ignoring him, and he kept hitting on others….

This is a problem on many news groups, and sometimes mocking them consistently makes them go away.

James

Probably right

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to My theory

but I will add, that usually this kind of behaviour is related to an attention starved dumba$$ that thinks that it is their duty to contradict common sense and try to bully others into their crooked thinking.
          Heck, maybe its just a sugar imbalance (see Titus –Norman Rockwell is Bleeding).

The 7 seas of cheese

by jpenrose ·

In reply to Strange fellow isn’t he

I’ve cast my net in many forums over the years and I’ve seen this guy everywhere I go. Claims a big role (Manager in this case) talks a big shoe (hats off to Sullivan) and then proceeds to curb stomp anyone in his path. I did the lamb lies down thing and put up the sappy post to try and draw him out (worked) but then got a little sucked in by his craptastic replies (shame on me).

Oh, and hi; I’m new to posting @ TR but have been a long time reader of the inbox stuff. Nice setup you have here. Looks like a good place to stop a while and hang out. I haven’t been regular in a BBS since the Securely Speaking days a ways back down the road.

Looking forward to seeing some quality troll hunting. I guess I’ll keep that thread subscription a while longer…

Cheers
        \\Mongoose

Welcome Mongoose!

by tig2 ·

In reply to The 7 seas of cheese

Glad you weren’t put off by the idiot. Some people should not be allowed in public.

We get our share of trolls and flamers. Most are okay though. The best rule of thumb I have found is to look at a person’s profile. In general, the real folks take a moment to fill it out, use an avatar, have a post history. That said, we do have a couple who don’t but have a history of being good people.

Welcome to the board. If you have any questions, ask. Folks are generally willing to help out where they can. Many don’t mind peer mail if you don’t want to “ask out loud”.

I’m guessing I didn’t get zlito’s vote for the candy . . .

by drowningnotwaving ·

In reply to A Challenge

Hey Rich

by tig2 ·

In reply to I’m guessing I didn’t get zlito’s vote for the candy . . .

I still don’t think that Zlito was aiming at you- he just took off from your Pink Floyd reference (you have to admit, it was a good reference) and didn’t get threaded right. I haven’t seen him online so he likely isn’t even aware.

Okay..

by maecuff ·

In reply to A Challenge

Nice!

by tig2 ·

In reply to Okay..

I especially like the “circle of friends”. Probably pretty accurate as well.

Knew that we could expect quality from you!

Thanks..

by maecuff ·

In reply to Nice!

I tried to be funny and not mean, but I don’t think it’s in my nature..

I was amused

by tig2 ·

In reply to Thanks..

I thought it was very funny.

And I know what JD needs for Christmas now…

Yes..

by maecuff ·

In reply to I was amused

He could probably use a circle of friends, himself. 🙂

That was awesome.

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Okay..

Made me laugh pretty good on a busy day. Thank You. So far you got my vote (not counted of course).

chuckle, I better not point at my response to this guy

by danlm ·

In reply to A Challenge

I think you all will call me mean.

dan

If Mae can do it

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to A Challenge

I don’t think

by maecuff ·

In reply to If Mae can do it

there are any rules regarding self-submission. But I think that’s an activity best done alone. Or with a trusted partner.

[raises eybrows]

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to I don’t think

[smirks]

I’m not [b][i]touching[/i][/b] that! ]:)

Edit: formatting

I believe you!!

by maecuff ·

In reply to [raises eybrows]

I’m just saying..

Ok, I caved — here is a post

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to A Challenge

and by the way, I am diabetic so I dont want/need the candy. I posted for fun.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=205566&messageID=2137822

I’m sure a suitable substitute can be found…

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Ok, I caved — here is a post

I don’t think anyone is really going for candy canes. But a healthy spirit of competition sometimes inspires people, which was my intent.

And even though I am not competing, I couldn’t help but respond. I am so weak.

James

Comedy

by siliconwombat ·

In reply to I’m sure a suitable substitute can be found…

Took me a while to figure which was the troll but now I see the light. Good comedy replies but unfortunately I cant come up with any of my own. My vote at the moment is with Maecuff. Great slap!!!

I think I should shut up now

by danlm ·

In reply to Comedy

This person irritates me to no end.

The last person I met like this individual basically cost the company millions. They were so self centered in their opinion of their selves and what they thought was correct for the company that the company ended up buying a computer system that didn’t meet the requirements of the business. Yes, I know this is managements fault. But it was also this person’s fault for not taking the time to listen to what people were actually saying. In other words, addressing the actual needs of both the business and it’s power user’s that knew the business functions.

I’m not even kidding anymore when I rip into this individual. All I think about is that this person is: 1). Causing the loss of income for business’s because he never listened to their requirements. 2). alienating business’s from IT contractors because of his superior attitude. 3). Causing any individual under them to have health issues from the constant harassment, argonce, and degrading attitude.

Yup, I’m going to shut up now and disconnect from that thread. Or I may progressively get more abusive in my response’s to his posts. And, unfortunally I have been pretty abusive as it is.

Dan

Why unfortunately?

by maecuff ·

In reply to I think I should shut up now

You were dead on. And don’t you get a little stress relief from it? I know I do.

I did too

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Why unfortunately?

stressed yesterday, then after I posted it I felt a bit better.
          I guess this is called anger management!

Hey Dan

by tig2 ·

In reply to I think I should shut up now

You’re okay. And you haven’t overstepped by any stretch. If you had, you would know it- I’d have been the first to tell you.

People with God complexes are all too predictable and all too painful to endure. People like him give the real folks in IT a bad name and worse reputation.

One of the things I have learned at TR is that one must be very careful in their communication if they want to be understood. This means sometimes that you must consider every word. Obviously this guy hasn’t gotten that message. Just as obviously, you have.

I understand why you are pulling back. The issue has become personal and you no longer believe that you can be objective. That is admirable. Just be aware that you haven’t crossed any lines here and that your responses have been reasoned and well written.

You haven’t- at least by my definition- been abusive in the slightest. I think others would agree with me.

Viewing 6 reply threads