General discussion

About DECstation 5000/25 boot

By tiago ·
I currently have a DECstation 5000/25 here that doesn't boot up. Although it does power-on, it doesn't power up any Hard Disks and doesn't light up the LED in the front.

Well, i tried to hook up a serial cable behind it in order to see if it does anything when i boot it. (No, it doesn't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse). I was wondering if something is missing, i have a Transceiver on the AUI port behind it, as well as i have a SCSI terminator on its external SCSI port.

I saw on the DECstation 5000/25's manual that it doesn't boot if i don't have a terminator on the SCSI or AUI ports. Ok, but i should get into the DEC's firmware, as the manual says. This workstation was stocked for a while, and i'm not sure if it's still usable. Asfar as i know from other folks who have this computer, this is quite unusual to happen.

What could be happening?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BudgieSoft In reply to About DECstation 5000/25 ...

There should be an offset rj11 connector on the back. Plug in a VTxx terminal into this connector. Then you power it on you should get to the console prompt. If not, open the system up and use a multimeter to verify the power supply is really supplying power. If it is, power on the machine with the case open and see if any of the LEDs on the motherboard light. If they don't the most likely culprit is the motherboard or CPU. Bad RAM will not cause the LED on the front o the machine to not light up.

Collapse -

by tiago In reply to About DECstation 5000/25 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by GIJoe In reply to About DECstation 5000/25 ...

Is this still a problem?

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Linux Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)