General discussion

Access 2000 Database Missing

By debbie ·
We had three users try to open the same Networked Access database. Access opens, but not the database...and no error message. Other Access databases will open but not this one. You can see the file in explorer and if you browse but you can't get it to open. I have managed to access the table info through Excel query but we, of course want the whole thing back. Any suggestions. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by MelodyJ In reply to Access 2000 Database Miss ...

Are you sure that the tables & database window are not hidden? When you open the database, go to Window, Unhide. Choose the database window. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Melody

Collapse -

by debbie In reply to Access 2000 Database Miss ...

It's a thought. However when you hide and then reopen Access the database doesn't stay hidden. Unless you know a way to make it stay hidden. We opened and closed this database several times on several computers. Thanks.

Collapse -

by donq In reply to Access 2000 Database Miss ...

Strange!

I assume you are talking an unsecured .mdb file??? If the database was ever user level secured verify the machine needing access has the correct Workgroup active identifying the appropriate user open.

I had a similar problem a couple of times to an unsecured database and have no idea what was wrong. I was able to open a new database, import everything, delete the problem database, and then rename the copy back to what I originally had. Everything worked fine but I never understood what happened? Access does that some times you know!!

Hope u can do the same! Don Quigg

Collapse -

We tried this... I could see and select the database but the window where you select which tables, queries, reports, etc.... to import never appears. Yes this is an unsecure database.... not mine... I'm new to my employer... this was set up by their Access expert. I found out today that he doesn't know how to import from Excel.... what's a girl to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -

by awilliams3 In reply to Access 2000 Database Miss ...

I really believe MELODYJ is on the right track with this one. Can the database window be made visible by selecting WINDOW/UNHIDE?

If so, then once visible, select TOOLS and then STARTUP. In the STARTUP dialog if the DISPLAY DATABASE WINDOWS option is unchecked then the database window will NOT appear when the database file is opened. By default on any new database it is checked therefore the database window is normally visible. If you wish for the database window to appear then be sure this option is checked.

You can be confident the database is opening if Access is launching. As a tip, Access will open the database with the database window (and without executing any startup code if any) by holding the SHIFT key while double-clicking the database file in Windows Explorer. If Access has a problem with the database, it will let you know, one awful way or another.

If I am right MELODYJ deserves the credit on this one!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by MikeDale In reply to Access 2000 Database Miss ...

Have you tried to Repair the database. Open Access with no database files open. Go to The TOOLS menu and select DATABASE UTILITIES, then select COMPACT AND REPAIR DATABASE. If the database has become dammaged beyond repair Access should tell you at this stage.

By the way when repairing the database you need to specify a new name for the repaired file as Access creates a new file when performing this task, if the repair is sucessful you can delete the old file and then rename the new one.
If Access is unable to repair your database, I know of no way to repair an Access Database in this condition, but in the past have been able to recover data from the database but pulling out tables with Excel or VB and saving them in a new database file.

Hope this helps

Mike

Collapse -

The repair was not available. We recovered a week old back up and I extracted the files into Excel and then back into Access. Hopefully they have learned their lesson about backing up.
Thanks.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)