Question

Acer 9630 Cannot get Wireless to Enable

By jaybrook ·
I am used to XP pro, so I am not sure if I am missing something here...

I am trying to get an Acer 9630 (Vista Ultimate) to connect to the internet Wirelessly.

1. The button for wireless internet does not work.
2. I have updated every driver I can think of (broadcom,chipset etc), all windows updates are installed.
3. It does connect via the ethernet lead.
4. Device Manager etc says all is working normally.
5. Acers Management settings say the Wireless Lan (Broadcam 802.11g) is disconnected.

Any suggestions? I need this laptop to work wirelessly as having a leading trailing around is not practicle! I am hoping the solution is starting me in the face, it is driving me batty.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Differences between XP and Vista can be finicky ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Acer 9630 Cannot get Wire ...

If you want to ENABLE the wireless, you'll have to DISABLE the wired connection first, since you can't have both turned on at the same time.

Go to Control Panel and select Classic View. Click on the Network Communications icon and you'll (I think) find the wired and wireless sitting side by side - Disable the wired option then Enable the wireless.

Try connecting now in the way you've already tried. It should work.

:)

Collapse -

Enable/Disable Wired/ Wireless

by jaybrook In reply to Differences between XP an ...

It does not make any difference wether or not the Ethernet Cable is connected/ disabled Thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -

Climb off your HR throne and READ IT AGAIN !! ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Enable/Disable Wired/ Wir ...

Jeez, y'know, sometimes I wonder why I bother answering some of you CLOWNS!!!

I wasn't talking about your ethernet cable!!!

Collapse -

Why post a question if you can't read the answer??!!!!

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Enable/Disable Wired/ Wir ...

Next you'll be telling me you've got an ethernet cable plugged into your Control Panel will you?

READ SOMETHING - DON'T JUST ASSUME!!

Otherwise get down off your cross because someone else could do with the wood!

Collapse -

Wired Cable

by jaybrook In reply to Why post a question if yo ...

There is no need to be rude.

I meant wired not Ethernet, I made a typo.

Collapse -

Rudeness

by jaybrook In reply to Why post a question if yo ...

As I have already said there is no need to be rude. I made a typo saying ethernet cable as I was explaining to someone what it was whilst I was typing.

Collapse -

The ethernet IS the wired cable ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Rudeness

You have a wired form of communication (this is the Ethernet cable) which forms the Local Area Connection.

You also have a wireless form of communication, this is the Wireless Network Connection.

You should view these two forms of communication as a Y junction at the end of a single track road - which way to go is the question. You CANNOT go down both routes at the same time.

The Y junction for the laptop is LOCAL or WIRELESS - but not both. Therefore if the computer is currently set up for the wired option, you MUST DISABLE the wired option BEFORE selecting the wireless.

Otherwise it would be the computer equivalent of you trying to place one foot on each path, having your legs stretched further and further apart as the paths diverged.

Now PLEASE - read it again. :)

Collapse -

Wired Cable

by jaybrook In reply to The ethernet IS the wir ...

I have done all that you suggested, it does not work. I think that the hardware must be at fault. I have disabled the wired/ethernet cable then tried to connect using the wireless and it does not work. I have done this using the acer software and the device manager.

Collapse -

Have you been into the Control Panel yet ? ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Wired Cable

Have you witnessed whether Wireless Connection is ENABLED within Control Panel ?

I am typing this on an old ACER Aspire running XP and when I bought it back in 2005 (yes - a 4-year-old ACER !) the first thing I did was to ignore the in-built ACER software. When I came to reinstall at some later point due to a self-inflicted error, I deleted all the ACER software because although I'm perfectly happy with my little workhorse, I wouldn't use ACER software to wipe my ar$e - it's full of holes.

So, I'll ask again - have you checked inside Windows Vista Control Panel ??

Collapse -

Control Panel

by jaybrook In reply to Wired Cable

Usaully I dont use the software that comes with the computer for the wireless etc I but as I had turned the wired off everywhere else including the control panel before enabling the wireless I thought I would give it a go.

Back to Smartphones Forum
23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next

Mobility Forums