Question

• Creator
    Topic

Acer Aspire 3680 not connecting to wireless network

by bj4 ·

I just got an Acer aspire 3680 and it is not connecting to the wireless network at home. OS is vista. But my hp notebook is connecting perfectly with same settings.Anyone can help? it is detecting the network but unable to connect.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by bj4 ·

In reply to Acer Aspire 3680 not connecting to wireless network

Clarifications

Have you right-clicked in your system tray?

by older mycroft ·

And TOLD your system to connect to the available wireless network?

I should add…

by older mycroft ·

Vista has a “better” reporting style when it comes to detecting wireless access points. It will detect and report on wireless signals that XP doesn’t “see” (XP tends to return to the last wireless signal source that was used before shutdown).

So, if your HP laptop is switched on, and using its wireless capability when you start the Acer, Vista – in reporting that it has a signal – will wait for you to tell it WHICH signal you want to connect with, because the HP laptop will also be “seen” by Vista, usually with the network name of “Westerlands” in my experience.

Solution?

by sinmach ·

In reply to I should add…

Did anyone figure this one out? I have the same computer, brand new with the same problem. It’s sees my network and my other Toshiba laptop connects fine. The error after connecting says it’s unable to connect due to an unknown error…. I disabled the wireless security as a test and I get the same error.

Driver Roll back

by adrick ·

In reply to Solution?

try uninstalling the vista driver and install the XP driver for your wireless card. that seems to work the best.

Hey

by babyfirewolf11 ·

I have the same problem. It was working fine the other day and I go to turn it on and it can’t find any wireless networks. Did you ever fix your problem?

Random Fix

by dantdavies ·

I had the same problem with my Acer, albeit a newer model. All I did was shove the plug in, went to Control Panel/System and Maintenance /System then clicked on the link for online support. Et voila the problem fixed itself. No idea how, no idea why. It just did 🙂

The absolute answer- a fix!!

by drummerspirit ·

The bios stops the inbuilt wirless card from turning on, not the card being at fault or the front switch, in the case of the 3690. (i am sure this is the case also in other models too)
      I worked on this issue for days like many people- in the end I went to acer in america via the uk site- and found the latest bios version- V 3.6 by selecting, notebook, model, number etc, I flashed that on start up to my screams of delight, the orange button fired up! All i had to do is connect via windows network and enter ssid key!
      Who da man?
      You all can buy me a pint sometime! 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads