Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked Keyboard/TouchPad

By homertrix.ray ·
Hi, hope someone here can help me. I've got an Acer Aspire 5100 and 2 nights ago i was using it and all was well. Fell asleep while watching a movie on it and it blocked 2 hours after i fell asleep more or less. Thought nothing of it, turned it off and rebooted it. Got a CMOS error that I've had a few times before so unplugged it, took battery out and plugged it back in again. When it started up, both keyboard and touchpad are dead. When i get to the windows log-in screen, sometimes the FN + F6 combination works but that's all. I've took it to a friend who is a PC Repair guy and he says all cables are firmly connected, no problem there. Anyone have this problem ever? I don't know if I need a new keyboard or what to do. I rang Acer and they want the recipt but as it was a present from my exgirlfriend, i don't have it. My mate says maybe i leaned on the keyboard while sleeping and had some keys held down for a prolongued time and the CMOS or BIOS has locked the keyboard and touchpad and that maybe resetting the CMOS/BIOS by jumper or removing the battery will unlock them... Any suggestions anyone?? Really hope i can repair it cheaply as it is the only pc i have!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

43 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Aspire 5100 Touchpad lockup issue

by phinfan In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

Try using Fn + F7. It turns the touchpad on and off.
I was having the same issue. I took apart my 5100 and everything was fine. Once I found Fn + F7 my touchpad works fine.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Mine still won't work

by my_jet In reply to Aspire 5100 Touchpad lock ...

Fn + F7 make no difference for me either.
See this thread-
Fn brightness up and down works,
but no mouse or keyboard.
Also can't hit F2 during boot or any
keyboard input!!!!

This is driving me nuts...
There must be a fix for this?!?!

Any way to clear bios or something
to get keyboard back!?!?!

Removing battery does not help either...

Collapse -

That worked for me!

by tphamiltonz In reply to Aspire 5100 Touchpad lock ...

What be the reason to disable the touchpad? I fixed this issue with no problem after reading this post but it does not make any sense to me. Thanks for your help! I was about to check the connection to the motherboard!

Collapse -

Touchpad FN/F7

by jconant In reply to Aspire 5100 Touchpad lock ...

Thank you! I fat finger broke my touch pad and couldn't for the life of me get it back to work...2 seconds after reading this, I had my touch pad back.

Collapse -

the same problem here

by nextstop2003 In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

Hi dude,
I've the same laptop and yesterday I came thru the same problem you said...
as I know, the last action I remember I did was to connect my ipod by the left sided usb input and everything was messed up in few secs.
Nobody could solve my problem so far, nor F2 at prompt neither fn+F7 routine...
did you fix it?

Collapse -

Same problem with Acer Aspire 5100

by dunnjed85 In reply to the same problem here

I have the exact same problem. I was listening to some music using iTunes, I left my room for a while and when I came back there was a weird screen that came up with white, purple, and green vertical lines and it was frozen up. So I held down the power button to turn it off and restart it and when I did, the keyboard and mouse no longer function. I tried the fn+f7 and that doesn't work. I tried the brightness keys and they worked for a while after start up and then they stopped working. I read somewhere else that this might be a motherboard problem, but I have no idea. Anybody have any idea?

Collapse -

Same problem as well

by dchung In reply to Same problem with Acer As ...

Two notebooks Aspire 5043 and Aspire 5102 have the same keyboard/touchpad lock. F2 or whatever key combination does not work. External keyboard and mouse does not work either. Both problems started 3 weeks ago in case someone thinks this is a software update or windows update issue. I have read many other threads with people and the aspire 5000 and 5100 series having the exact same problem. Class Action Suit anyone?

Collapse -

Same Problem EVERYWHERE!

by ejulaw In reply to Same problem as well

Since I bought the Aspire 5100 in Dec. 2006, it has crashed 4 times. When it crashes, a weird screen comes up, and everything is frozen, so you cannot do anything but power it down. When you try to power back up, most of the time it will not boot up. Rarely, it will boot up but the keyboard and mouse are locked, so again, you can't do anything. The first time it happened was March 2007, about 90 days after I bought it. I sent it in to Acer, and they replaced the motherboard. The same exact thing happened in June 2007 and in Oct 2007. They replaced the motherboard each time. With this trend, I knew that if it happened outside the 1-year warranty, Acer would tell me I'm on my own, so I called to complain that they never fixed the problem. They did confirm that outside the 1-year warranty, I would be on my own! (Sad way to stand behind your product and to take care of your customers!) Well, it just happened again mid-February, they told me to take a hike, and I got my attorney involved. In researching this problem, I spoke to a very experienced computer repair center who confirmed they have been getting in these models with the same exact problem. He confirmed that something is causing the connections for the keyboard, the mouse, and the USB ports to **** on the motherboard, which is why Acer kept replacing the motherboards on my unit until I was out of warranty. And to compound the problem, even if I wanted to have it repaired, it seems the motherboards can't be gotten. He also pointed me to posts from Italy, from Ontario Canada, and from several other states in the U.S. with users with this Acer model outlining the exact same scenario. So, I'm stuck with a computer that doesn't work and that cannot be fixed! What Acer should have done was a recall to fix their obvious design flaw OR to make it right with customers who paid good money for a reliable laptop and instead got in essence a defective product. But that would cost Acer too much money, so I guess they figure they'll field complaints until people get tired and give up. I'm working on a legal alternative. Contact me at if you'd like to explore options. My name is Ed, and the ejulaw stands for Equal Justice Under Law, which Acer counts on us not exercising.

Collapse -

Same with me

by coollg01 In reply to Same Problem EVERYWHERE!

I am having same problem. I have given it to local vendore here. He recovered my windows and told me that its a windows problem. my acer laptop worked for 3 days and again same thing happend.

I don't know what to do. I will try to re-install a simple windows XP with out any acer software with it.

I will do it on this weekend then put the result again....

But in last 3 weeks i am really fed up to see it starting but not responding

Collapse -

Update to 'Same Problem Everywhere' from 02/23/08

by ejulaw In reply to Same Problem EVERYWHERE!

Just sharing my saga with Acer and the faulty Aspire 5100 (read original post from 2/23/08 for background) in an effort to help. Acer replaced my defective Aspire 5100 with a different model that lists for much more than I paid for the 5100. I'm using it right now. Won't go into detail in this post, but if you're stuck with a laptop that won't work and cannot be fixed like I was while Acer has your money but won't help you and you want to do something about it, email Ed at You will need to reside in the U.S. or Canada to explore this option.

Back to Smartphones Forum
43 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next

Mobility Forums