Question

Acer Aspire 5100 Wireless Problems

By jebb ·
I just purchased an acer aspire 5100 windows vista labtop, My wireless card on it is doing crazy stuff. it will connect to our network for about a minute and then automatically disconnect. then try and connect and connect but then disconnect a minute or two later. I try right beside my router and the problem continues, help me please.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Look at the Security used on the Router

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Wireless ...

You'll probably find that as you are logging in with an unauthorised computer you need to set up the WiFi connection to accept some MAC Addressing or something similar.

Col

Collapse -

Same issue

by cortesev In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Wireless ...

I have bought an aspire 5100 running vista and I am having the same issue. When I search for the available networks, my router's signal strength is excellent;however when I connect, it shows good or fair, sometimes poor and then it disconnects. I am not sure if it the problem is Vista or my new laptop

Collapse -

OK Since this doesn't appear to be a one off problem

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Same issue

You have 2 choices the first and most likely will be to post a question at the Vista Community Forum where the should have an answer even if it's only Yes we are aware of this and currently working on a fix.

http://tinyurl.com/yt8adb

Or you can contact the resellers of the NB's and demand a refund because the product that has been sold to you is not of usable quality then hit them for a NB loaded with XP Pro as the only suitable replacement option.

Col

Collapse -

Solution

by cortesev In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Wireless ...

Hi jebb
I think I have found a solution to the problem. As mentioned in the previous reply I have the same laptop with the vista on it and the wireless was disconnecting and reconnecting as you explained in your post.
I downloaded the drivers for the card from this website:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html
just select acer aspire 5100 and under MS Windows XP (there are none for vista) select wireless LAN Driver 802abg Atheros.

Collapse -

This works best

by dbjecross In reply to Solution

Thank you Cortesev. This fix worked, the others didn't. The driver update option on the notebook said no updates available. The Acer euro address downloads page gives an option for Vista, but the 802ABG Atheros is only listed under the XP drop-down (near the top). Although it now stays connected when online, the wireless icon still flashes connected/disconnected when not online. Acer should know about this--probably why this model is on sale everywhere. Dave

Collapse -

THANK YOU!!

by burn24 In reply to Solution

I'm not an IT person at all but you saved me a gazillion hours of research with your post. Big XX and 00s to you!

Collapse -

Driver for ACER 3680

by lorimariekane In reply to Solution

This is an extremely helpful thread!
My ACER is a 3680...so it's probably a different driver than the one for the 5100, right?...do you know which driver I should use? Thanks so much!
~~Lori

Collapse -

You'll find XP Drivers for the 3680 here

by OH Smeg In reply to Driver for ACER 3680

Atheros 802.11 b+g WiFi

http://tinyurl.com/2d7ld2

Broadcom 802.11 b+g WiFi

Apparently there are 2 available XP Drivers so you'll need to look at which WiFi Card you have installed and download the right one. I'm not sure that the XP Drivers will work with Vista but maybe it's worth a try.

Col

Collapse -

Hum... Am I missing something?

by marypops_x In reply to Solution

Hi,
I downloaded the driver, unzipped and pressed "install"... There *has* got to be smething I'm not doing, because it<s still not working... Any ideas?
Thanks =)

Collapse -

I Found a Fix

by superkid41402 In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Wireless ...

I believe I found a fix to the wireless card problem. I just purchased the same laptop, and have been having the same problems. It took me a while to figure it out, but I think this is the solution. It worked for me, so it might work for you:

1. Hook your computer up to your router using an ethernet cord. This will allow you to access the internet.

2. Go to the control panel and click on the system icon.

2. In the left sidebar, click device manager.

3. Double click on network adapters and double click the Atheros wireless network adapter.

4. Click on the driver tab at the top, then click update driver.

5. After clicking update driver, click the search automatically for updated driver software.

The computer will search the internet for an updated driver for the wireless card, and it will find one that is dated 5/11/07 and install it. This worked for me, and I hope it will work for you.

Back to Smartphones Forum
16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Mobility Forums