General discussion

ADSL sharing with windows 2003

By lumeng_lim ·
Our office has about 15 computers with a windows 2003 server. We recently got a adsl connection but dunno how to share this. I know a broadband router is a nice way to go but would like to know how to do the sharing without the router.

we have a dhcp server running and uses a 10.x.x.x range. Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Broadband router recommended for security reasons

by softcorp.us In reply to ADSL sharing with windows ...

First some comments...

I recommend you use a hardware broadband router. I use one for my small office LAN (Linksys WRT54G). I chose this particular device for multiple reasons including security. Notable features include:

- It provides a "stealth firewall". Computers on my LAN are invisible to the internet. Malware on the Internet cannot attack what they cannot see.

- No Windows machine is directly on the Internet. They are much less vulnerable to the many and continuous attacks that target Windows.

- It provides both wired (100 MBps) and wireless (54MBps) Ethernet.

- It is inexpensive and reliable.

- It is easy to configure via a web browser.

- It provides a DHCP server.

- It provides Network Address Transalation (NAT). There is one IP address visible on the Internet for all PCs on the LAN.

- It provides these features without adding a software firewall to Windows PCs on the LAN. Of course, you can do that also.

To your question: This is a general answer. To share a broadband Internet connection via your Windows Server, you'll need two NICs (Network Interface Cards) in your Windows Server. One NIC will connect to the ADSL box (Internet NIC) and the other to your LAN (LAN NIC). Next, configure Windows to share the Internet NIC. I don't have a Windows 2003 machine available. But, on Windows XP, you open "Network Connections" in the Control Panel, right click on the Internet NIC, and choose "Properties". In the Properties window, choose the "Advanced" tab. Click the check box to enable "Internet Connection Sharing". Finally, the client PCs on your LAN will need to use your Windows Server as a gateway for routing IP packets to the Internet. In my experience, this occurs auctomatically when the Windows server provices DHCP and the client is configured to use DHCP instead of a static IP address. If necessary, this can be configured manually via the "Advanced" button on the Properties window for the NIC in the client.

Hope this info is helpful!

-----Steve Jackson

Collapse -

I couldn't agree more...

by comxero In reply to Broadband router recommen ...

Steve's recommendation of opting for a hardware router solution over your proposed Windows Server 2003 software router is spot on. I would guess that you rely on that single server to provide several services to your office network. If it were to go down, your office would be without all these services until you performed recovery steps on it. With this in mind, I imagine you?ll want to isolate it from the Internet as much as possible. If you choose to use it as a router you are leaving it VERY exposed through the Internet connected interface. In light of this and all the points that Steve made, just pick up a little broadband router for your production environment. These are super cheap now. You can easily find one for less than $100.

If you want to build the W2K3 router in a lab as a learning project that?s great and it?s not that difficult of an endeavor.

Essentially you will need a machine that meets the minimum system requirements for Windows Server 2003. You don?t need a powerhouse. This can be a decommissioned user workstation or an old machine setting in the corner of the office. It?s not going to be doing any heavy CPU, memory or I/O intensive operations so don?t waste a server class machine on the project. The only other piece of hardware you will need is a second NIC (and extra CAT5 cable to connect your second NIC to the existing LAN switch/hub). You will define one NIC as the INTERNAL (LAN) interface and the other as the EXTERNAL (Internet) interface. You will be using the Routing and Remote Access service (RRAS) in W2K3 to create a demand-dial interface to connect to the Internet via your ASDL connection. Once this is in place you will configure your new router to use Network Address Translation (NAT) to give your LAN users "partially protected" access to the Internet. I also highly recommend you take other steps to protect your server and LAN users such as software firewalls, packet filtering, etc. that you are sacrificing by using this type of router.

Fortunately everything you have ever wanted to do with Windows Server 2003 and more is very well documented.

For step by step instructions to accomplish this project refer to:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_RRAS-Ch3_06d.asp

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)