General discussion

AMD 1.4ghz only running at 1050mhz!

By techrific ·
I have an AMD Athlon 1.4ghz CPU in a ECS K7S5A motherboard. I installed it today. The processor is and will only run at 1050mhz for some reason. I just updated the ROM BIOS with "aminf332.exe" (amibios update utility) and "k7s5a020626.exe" (self extracting file containing the .rom file bios update for my board). And still same problem. The FSB for this CPU is 266mhz and I am running it with pc133 SDRAM (the board supports DDR RAM as well, I just dont have any yet.)In the BIOS settings I can see that it is running at 100/100 for the clock speed and RAM speed, I can change them only as high as 133/133 but if I do the system wont even boot. Aanyone know what the problem is?

THX!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to AMD 1.4ghz only running a ...

Check out your PC133 memory if it won't work at 133.

The default multiplier is 10.5 (10.5 x 133.33 =1400MHz (1.4GHz))
Your MB is running at 100MHz (10.5 x 100 = 1050MHz)

Also make sure you cool the thing down. One choice is:

Coolermaster
http://tinyurl.com/1paq

Collapse -

by techrific In reply to AMD 1.4ghz only running a ...

Thanks guys (girls too?) :) It was the RAM after all, I Had 3 modules, a 256mb, and two 128's. They were all 133mhz, but diiferent makes, for some reason the board doesnt like the NEC 128mb module, This ram was all running fine under my P3900 thatI just upgraded to this 1.4, anyway, thx!

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to AMD 1.4ghz only running a ...

Athlon processors (unless you get the stepping model) can't be overclocked unless you bridge the the first & second buss on L1 cache(pencil lead shavings work quite well for that). That is why you can only change the core clock speed to 133 Mhz X2 (266Mhz) FSB. If you system doesn't run at that core clock speed, with an Athlon processor, take the board back. (Note: Duron processors only run at 100MhzX2 (200Mhz) FSB core clock speed.

Collapse -

NOTE! heat generation with the Athlons, especially the 1.4 Ghz has been a large problem (resolved somewhat with the Athlon XP processors). Overclocking the 1.4 Ghz Athlon, even to 1450 mhz generates a LOT of heat. Typically, that Athlon's operating temp running at that Core clock speed is about 125 degrees farienhet give or take 7 to 10 degrees. To overcome this heat generation, some overclockers use copper shims, Ultra high speed CPU fans (6800rpm 40 CFM airflow, and have had to resort to using sound proofing inside their cases to cut down on the whine of the CPU fan) and even water cooled (holding tank and all).

Collapse -

Switch to MSI Motherboards. Never had a problem, super support, with a LOT of bells and whistles.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to AMD 1.4ghz only running a ...

I assume that this is an Athlon, and not an Athlon XP series CPU.

My first thought, is that your RAM is NOT capable of running at 133MHz.

The "default" settings for an Athlon 1.4 with PC133 RAM are;
FSB 133
Multiplier 10.5X
= 1.396 GHz

You should be able to get the full 1.4GHz if you change the multiplier to 14X with the 100MHz bus speed.

My second thought is that the chipset is not setting the correct voltage for the CPU.
Download the correct data sheet from AMD, and verify that the BIOS is setting the correct CPU core voltage.

3rd thought, is that you were sold a "re-marked" CPU.
Some vendors have been known to perform speed tests on CPUs, and re-mark them as faster CPUs than they really are.

Look closely at the DIE section of the CPU.
(you may need magnification)
Verify that the part number looks like it was placed there by the factory, and that the part number matches the code on the data sheet for a 1.4GHz CPU.

It is also possible that someone at the vendor where you purchased the CPU just grabbed the wrong CPU from stock, and you got a 1050 100MHz FSB CPU.

One check that you can perform to see if this is a CPU or a memory issue, would be to set the bus to 100/133 (CPU/RAM) if the system boots up properly, then you have 133MHz RAM, but either a slower CPU, or a 200MHz FSB version.
If it does not boot with the ram set to 133, then the ram is the issue.

Chas

Collapse -

Found this in the ECS K7S5A forum

Chas

Author: Chin ()
Date: 2002-03-12 06:37:00

i found many topics with this problem but none seems to have the asnwer for it, maybe some ECS support members can help me.

im running an XP 1400+ on my k7s5a with 133/133 and 2 Infineon 256 doublesided memory SDR-RAM 133 MHz and the system keeps locking up sometimes during XP boot or some minutes after XP started.
I even tried the safest bios settings and flashed the newest bios but it keeps locking up. So i started testing the memory and the mem banks -maybe something was broken-. Booted the system with 1 mem, fine, put the mem in the other bank, perfect. Repeated the same procedure with the other memory, 2 times perfect. Put them both in, crash, swapped the memorybank, crash!!! so im a bit outa ideas now... my system is now running 100/100 with both memory and its stable as a rock for 2 weeks...

Collapse -

continued:

SOLUTION TO 133/133 PROB! (1) (0)
Author: zlater ()
Date: 2002-03-11 03:27:00

Hi there..

First of all my specs.. they seem to mean much here so here goes..

ECS K7S5A/L
256MB kingston ddr 266MHz
AMD 1G thunderbird 266MHz
forsa geforce 2 mx 400 64MB
YMF724 soundcard
TW-IA300 ADSL
10GB WD HDD
Codegen 300W/165W AMD approved power to 1.1G
Proview 19"
and some..

So.. i had great problems getting my cpu to go on 266MHz.. i tried literally everything.. Oh yeah.. the power upgrade from 250 to 300 didn't help.. tried running all kinds of tests and stuff.. no help.. tried flashing older bioses and newer.. didn't help.. saw the 060202L.rom bios had a fault in the powermanagement by the way.. or was it just me .. well any way.. it's a great mobo BUT the support sucks and the upgrading in the CPU PnP setup is very slow and THAT'S the problem .. for 100/100 you should have (in my case) 1.792V core voltage.. in 100/133 1.760V AND FINALLY BUT NOT AT ALL LEAST .. the core voltage for 133/133 should be 1.684 V something.. !!!! it doesn't upgrade it fast enough so u have to cycle slowly the settings for it to be exactly the settings it should be..! Surprised?? well i hope i've saved the day for some peopleout there.. PLEASE try this if u had the same problem .. i downgraded my bios to 011121L.rom .. Had some probs with the newer ones..

Now my system runs as good as it should .. took some time for me to figure it out.. the upgrade from 250W wasn'treally bad anyway but that didn't help.. check out the corevoltage settings carefully.. after that it starts with the speed and frequency u desire..

If this helps .. you're welcome )

zlater

zlater75@hotmail.com

I might add it helps the 133/133 probs, screen going blank at boot, and freezing during games.. etc

Collapse -

Thanks guys (girls too?) :) It was the RAM after all, I Had 3 modules, a 256mb, and two 128's. They were all 133mhz, but diiferent makes, for some reason the board doesnt like the NEC 128mb module, This ram was all running fine under my P3900 that I just upgraded to this 1.4, anyway, thx!

Back to Desktop Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next