General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

any advice?!…

by cupra ·

im searching for a software that i can use my computer as a telephone over a local office network..i just found those who works over internet protocol (VOIP) and its not what i want..i even have this question, is there any software that i can use on every computer in the office as a telephone? for internal and external calls? my plan is connecting the main computer to a telephone line so i can receive the incoming calls on it and from it i would be able to transfer the call to any employee’s computer after installing that software on every computer n the network, and also for internal calls between every computer on the network.
    i would be glad to hear from experienced people and appreciate any advice..

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Not sure if this will work

by unhappyuser ·

In reply to any advice?!…

Skype? OoVoo?

Skype? OoVoo?

by cupra ·

Skype and OoVoo are voip softwares and it isnt what i need..

So you want VOIP without VO but over IP

by the ‘g-man.’ ·

?

no

by cupra ·

i want VO without IP , what i need is VOICE OVER LOCAL NETWORK ((office network))

Ummm….

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to no

In most cases, your LAN (Local Area Network) is running IP. Unless you are an IPX shop or something. If you are running Windows systems, you are more than likely IP. So, you do in fact want VoIP. If you did not want to connect to a main phone line you could simply use any one of the plethora of voice/ video chat software apps out there. However, a good many of them allow you to call standard PSTN (public switch telephone network) numbers for a nominal fee.

well…

by cupra ·

In reply to Ummm….

what i mean is i want to have an internal phone network between the office computers and ONE of them will be connected to a telephone line to receive calls on it and would allow me to transfer that call from it to another computer on the network..without using INTERNET..

You want an IVR

by notsochiguy ·

The PBX will connect to the server/hub via SIP, and then you’ll run clients on each workstation that will allow them to act as phones.

It is a common setup in contact centers.

FrontRange has one that is fairly affordable and easy to administer. Depending on who your carrier is, they may have a recommendation, or even the software, to offer.

I should note that technically this is a VoIP solution.

internet is necessary on all workstations?!..

by cupra ·

In reply to You want an IVR

according to my office rules the internet access is limited, i mean some computers doesnt have internet..but still on the network and thats why im looking for a software that would work without internet just through the network..anyway i will try the solution you gave..

IP

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to internet is necessary on all workstations?!..

You are confusing Internet Protocol with Internet access. Your local area network uses IP (Internet Protocol) to communicate between PC. That is how the data is transfered between the PCs, the server and any network printers. The Internet also uses IP to send information between any node that is connected to it. Voice over IP does not necessarily mean Internet facing. I would suggest you read up on IP technology if you are going to be managing that environment. The Wiki may even be a good place to start.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol

thanks

by cupra ·

In reply to IP

thanks for your advice i already know what is ip and im sure i wouldnt be in this position by now if i got missing information about this environment..anyway this isnt my problem and this isnt a solution for my problem and if you cant help or you dont have any advice so dont even bother your self with other unimportant things..what i meant was i need a SOFTWARE who doesnt need INTERNET CONNECTION and thats what most of VOIP softwares need..anyway that advice you gave, save it for someone who’s a BEGINNER..thanks again

Sorry to say, but you are making yourself sound like a beginner…

by keighlar ·

In reply to thanks

The LAN connection IS an IP connection. There are plenty of VoIP phone solutions that would work for your application and only allow access through the telephone line(s) as long as the firewall is wide open internally. The external internet connection would only matter if you intended to have remote phones outside of the office.

What I don’t think you understand is telephony. It is NOT the same thing as network administration. For instance, do you know that with one phone line, you can only handle one phone call at a time, regardless of the number of PCs you will have connected via soft phones? Do you understand that voice quality is going to be dependent on instituting changes in your network and that it’s not just as simple as downloading a piece of software?

You will need equipment to interface with the telephone line(s). You will need a phone system in some manner that will allow you to program how phone calls ring and to transfer to other stations within the system.

That being said, if you’re looking for cheap do-it-yourself… look into asterisk with soft phones.

Agreed

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to Sorry to say, but you are making yourself sound like a beginner…

I agree with you.
          Also, Asterisk will work for PBX, but you would still have the cost of a PRI, or multiple POTS lines. Plus, someone would need to administer the PBX.

okay..

by cupra ·

In reply to Agreed

okay thanks anyway if you looked at my first post i said “i even have this question, is there any software that i can use on every computer in the office as a telephone?”,,i mean if i already know about “telephony” things i wouldnt ask about it..anyway i know that with one phone line i can receive only one call a time and this isnt a problem for me..we already have one phone line in the office at the reception as the call gets transferred (by the secretary) to the wanted phone..what am trying to solve here, i want to replace all the telephones in the office with a “computer software” and so it will work the same as the telephone ((incoming call >> transfer to employees computer))..also some employees doesnt have phone lines beside them and will cost us more to do it for everyone so its easier if i did it on the computers..

RE: okay

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to Agreed

So, hopefully, what you are saying is; you really do not get too many phone calls, and when you do, they are very brief.

If however, that is not what you are saying, and you are seriously a multi employee company trying to provide some kind of billed service with a single phone line; I wish you luck in trying to keep the doors open. :0

So you already have some type of phone system…

by keighlar ·

In reply to Agreed

What is it? The phone system itself is what proscribes if you may use a soft phone with it. A soft phone is a software phone, downloaded and used from a PC with a compatible PC headset. Some phone systems will work with them, and some won’t.

thanks Keighlar

by cupra ·

thanks so much Keighlar thats the FIRST helpful reply..some people forgot about my question and started to talk about my work..so smart…anyway i’ll try it

too bad..

by cupra ·

too bad i couldnt find anything useful with the software name u gave me..its not that type am looking for..i wanted OVER NETWORK..without phone numbers and registration i just want to call using the computer IP on the office network..but looks like no one got the solution here..anyway thanks to all of you..

Viewing 6 reply threads