General discussion

Any AS400 fans out there?

By richard.gray@kingspanibc. ·
I am currently tendering for an ERP solution for a multi site mixed mode manufacturing org. The solution chosen could run on SCO,NT or AS400. There seems to be no end of people telling me to steer clear of AS400, why?
I'd like to discuss why's and wherefor's of ERP platforms.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by glevin In reply to Any AS400 fans out there?

IBM puts out a tech rag called TCdigest. There was an article listed by DH Brown Assoc; "Comparing Windows NT Server and AS/400 in the Enterprise". This might be of interest if you still need the info.

www.as400.ibm.com/conslt/dhb.htm

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by weinssm In reply to Any AS400 fans out there?

I've been using the AS/400 platform for over ten years and find it difficult to understand why you would run a business on an operating system that crashes regularly (NT). The AS/400 is a great machine and the operating system is as robust as they come.

That being said, the future of the AS/400 itself is in doubt. IBM has been cutting staff and rumours abound concerning its viability in the marketplace. There is new discussion on running UNIX on the AS/400 - it may or may not save the machine from extinction.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Nate Hoy In reply to Any AS400 fans out there?

I am constantly stunned by the reaction of people to AS/400's. We process most of our business on a single AS/400, and yet everyone is all ga-ga about NT servers. We have almost 100 NT servers and they do less than the work of our single AS/400!
NT is a good server for medium sized workgroups (100 people +-). If you want to run ERP for over 500 people, I would give the AS/400 a look.

The '400 also makes a good application server box, can be a file server, and has Web serving and email built in. You need a dedicated NT machine for EACH of these services, plus a cluster server and a few extra application servers for the Web portion. Plus the people to maintain and reboot all of this regularly.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Al Macintyre In reply to Any AS400 fans out there?

I am a fan of AS/400.

The fundamental issue is whether your company wants the latest & greatest technology as soon as it comes out or soon after it comes out, or if you want something that works 99.99 % of the time, in which IBM does not release their version of the new technology until they can guarantee that it is going to work good.

There has NEVER been a computer virus infect an AS/400, because the way the object technology is implemented is alien to how computer viruses work. If youimplement the security the way that IBM reccommends, you will NEVER have a hacker or Denial of Service or a whole host of other security problems that the trade press is often filled with.

However, it is very easy to sabotage AS/400. Just install stuff that breaks down a lot, or have a bunch of co-workers that demand that management get the kind of crud that passes for technology in the PC LAN world.

Some day the AS/400 will be beaten out by the competition, because IBM Corporate refusesto market its streng

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Al Macintyre In reply to Any AS400 fans out there?

I manage a small AS/400 with 50 users each of whom have 4-5 window sessions & they are located in 3 cities connected ... we just converted from leased phone lines to AT&T Frame relay so we could run multi-city Ethernet on the same connection ... theAS/400 never goes down. What goes down is the external power supply, but we are protected by a UPS. Our ISP goes down several times a month ... obviously they are not using an AS/400. Ma bell goes down when weather fronts hit trees in rural areas.

Some day the AS/400 will be beaten out by the competition, because IBM Corporate refuses to market its strengths, and sooner or later customers of the competition will demand the kind of stuff we AS/400 users have grown accustomed to.

64 bit systems are standard on hardware, operating system & software & have been for quite some time.

When you upgrade your operating system you do not have to replace the applications running on it.

General Protection Fault NEVER happens on an AS/400. We have lost files

Collapse -

Back to IT Employment Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

General Discussion Forums