General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Are SPAM filtering blacklists killing email as a valid business tool?

by jdclyde ·

Over the last few years, I have found myself on blacklists, be it from spamhous or the latest crackpot organization, dsbl.org. If you go to their web site, you will see some rude jerks.

Everyone agrees that SPAM is an issue. It takes up bandwidth, as well as an extra 30 seconds in my morning to delete the spam that gets by the filter.

My problem is when people forget why they have a job in the first place. It is to make sure that valid business communication can take place. It is better to allow 100 spam to get through than to block one valid email. That email could cost your company millions.

Where do you stand on the SPAM issue. Should there be domain covering blacklists, or not?

Who decides who gets listed, and over what?

What is the removal process?

What really was funny, was when I submitted the removal request from the cussed DSBL list, they send a confirmation email with a link for you to follow. THEIR email they sent to me got caught in [b]OUR[/b] SPAM filter.

Sites like DSBL.org are a parasite on the internet, causing more harm than good.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

don’t get mad

by jaqui ·

In reply to Are SPAM filtering blacklists killing email as a valid business tool?

get even, submit the blacklist srvers to each other and get their domains blocked from sending email.

repeat daily.

I create my own blacklist, for my own use.
      microsoft.com, msn.com, hotmil.com are blacklisted, since they are spam generators.
      an html formatted email is spam and gets the email address blacklisted. top posting is just so stupid it gets you blacklisted.

I just couldn’t believe their attitude

by jdclyde ·

In reply to don’t get mad

And it amazes me that ISP’s are STUPID enough to pay money for such “services”.

it’s that

by jaqui ·

In reply to I just couldn’t believe their attitude

guilty until proven innocent thing, since spammers are scum that need to die.

I agree, but

by jdclyde ·

In reply to it’s that

make sure they are guilty [b][u]before[/u][/b] you execute the miserable sob’s.

Unfortunately, they must

by deity_chooch ·

In reply to I just couldn’t believe their attitude

In an ISP, spam must be one of your top concerns. The truth is that if you don’t have a spam filter on your e-mail accounts, or it isn’t working “well enough,” you will get a lot of complaints and customer cancellations. The average user doesn’t care about the one legitimate e-mail that gets through: they care about the 100 others. In my experience, people are more willing to whitelist a few individuals than to sort through all the messages their account actually receives.

The sad thing is that people actually purchase things from these e-mails, which just adds more fuel to the fire.

There has to be limits and reason

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Unfortunately, they must

one of the black lists that I made it on has a seven day waiting period to get de-listed, unless you wish to pay 50 euros to get off now. A clear case of extortion if you ask me.

All e-mail

by deity_chooch ·

In reply to Are SPAM filtering blacklists killing email as a valid business tool?

I also prefer to receive all e-mail. I work for an ISP and we have spam filtering enabled by default, but I have turned this feature off and use Mozilla Thunderbird’s adaptive filter to properly catch the junk (this also ensures that I have a local copy of the messages so I don’t have to go to the server to check my filtered messages). Spam is still a giant pain in the rear though, as I receive about 400 e-mails per day, due to several e-mail accounts and mailing lists.

I have always said that e-mail should be phased out. When I want to message someone, I simply open my messenger program (which can leave messages for the recipient if they aren’t currently online) and type them a quick blurb. Of course, this isn’t really good formal etiquette, but I prefer it to sorting through junk mail everyday.

IM vs Email…

by jaqui ·

In reply to All e-mail

the plethora of IM protocols makes for multiple apps to communicate with everyone, big drawback.
        with MSNM / Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo, email address is messenger client name, so spam hits both.

Even Skype is getting spam/phishing/pharming messages.

There is no foolproof method to keep the junk out, other than the email 2000 proposal.
        Email 2K being you host the message on website and all the user gets is the url. every message signed digitally and encrypted.. you know, the extreme.
        make the email sender pay for the websever data transfer for people to view the message so that the spammers get huge bills for the mass mailings.

IM SPAM

by jdclyde ·

In reply to All e-mail

I have even been getting IM spam lately.

As soon as there is a shift to ANY new format, the spammers will follow.

Viewing 1 reply thread