General discussion

Best Certifications for Web Developer?

By jozhall ·
So, I have been building web sites for myself and clients for about 10 years now. It wasn?t until about a year ago that I got an actual full time position building and maintaining web sites for a company. Now, I have decided that I want to pursue web development as a long term career goal. After looking through different job postings I can tell there seems to be more of an emphasis on proven skills versus formal training. Despite the fact that I think my portfolio speaks for itself, I am still interested in certifications to give me a competitive edge during the hiring process. So, I am hear to ask everyone what their thoughts are on certifications for Web Developers.

There are a handful of different certifications listed here: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-1049618.html
What are everyone?s thoughts of these? Or are there others that should be considered?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

if you want a cert, go for..

by Jaqui In reply to Best Certifications for W ...

CompTIA e-Biz+? Certification

quoting from comptia's website:

CompTIA e-Biz+ certification is the credential for e-business professionals. It is a vendor-neutral certification that is designed for both technical and non-technical individuals who work in an e-business environment and possess at least 12 months of core e-business experience. CompTIA e-Biz+ is also suitable for marketing and sales professionals who need an understanding of e-business for management, finance and customer service functions.

end quote

I bolded the important part, vendor neutral.
more concepts, issues etc than any one vendor's products. which, to me, says that the person who went and got this cert will be more willing to look for the best solution for the client than to just sell them something from the vendor whose cert they have.

Collapse -

re: if you want a cert, go for..

by jozhall In reply to if you want a cert, go fo ...

There are other vendor-neutral certifications out there, why recommend this one?

Collapse -

CompTia

by Jaqui In reply to re: if you want a cert, g ...

has a fairly well recognized name.

When you are looking for vendor neutral certifications in anything, name recognition on the certification is an important consideration.
A cert from joe **** school of business, while it may have the same criteria as one from CompTia, the CompTia will get more recognition, making it easier to get jobs / contracts for those who require their staff / contractors have the paper.

Collapse -

CIW

by eM DuBYaH In reply to Best Certifications for W ...

Checkout: http://www.ciwcertified.com/

I think that might be right up your alley.

Collapse -

re: CIW

by jozhall In reply to CIW

Do you have a CIW cert?

Collapse -

CIW Certifications

by eM DuBYaH In reply to re: CIW

Yes I do: Master CIW Designer, CIW Professional, CIW Associate v5, as well as CIW Certified Instructor. Hehe, I wouldn't have recommended CIW, unless I believed in the cert(s)

Collapse -

Educational Tourism and Certification worked for me.

by MikJr In reply to Best Certifications for W ...

I live in Microsoft Country and work in State Government. Needless to say the two go hand and hand. I just completed 8 Microsoft Official Curriculum courses in 5 weeks of full time study in India. I am a 2x MCTS in .Net and SQL Server now and it has opened several new doors for me.

Back to Web Development Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums