by Bill Detwiler ·

blog root

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Lock down your laptops

by Bill Detwiler ·

In reply to Bill’s Computer Crime Watch List

MCI is learning the hard way that laptops, and other portable devices, that story sensitive information should be carefully controlled and adequately secured. On Monday, News.com published a Reuters’ story about an MCI laptop stolen from an employee’s car. According to the report, the laptop contained the “names and Social Security numbers of about 16,500 current and former employees of MCI “.

The MCI incident is just one in a string of laptop security leaks. In December, thieves made off with a laptop belonging to the Delta Blood Bank, which contained the personal information of 100,000 blood donors. UCLA’s Blood and Platelet Center felt the sting in November 2003 and June 2004, when two laptops containing the combined personal information of 145,000 blood donors were stolen.

Unfortunately these thefts of private laptops pale in comparison to U.S. government laptop losses. A 2002 report from the Justice Department’s inspector general reported at least 400 laptop computers were missing or stolen from agencies such as the FBI, U.S. Marshals Service, and Drug Enforcement Administration.

If you’re going to store sensitive information on portable devices, IT departments must take appropriate measure to lock down those machines, such as: using power-on, BIOS passwords, using password-protected user accounts, and encrypting all sensitive data. Above all else, IT departments should train laptop user how not to lose their laptop in the first place. Teach users these five laptop security musts.

Toyota Prius immune to virus attack–for now

by Bill Detwiler ·

According to antivirus software developer F-Secure, the Cabir mobile-phone worm cannot infect a Bluetooth-enabled Toyota Prius. During a recent test, F-Secure technicians tried to transmit the Cabir.B and Cabir.H worms to a Toyota Prius without success. This puts to rest rumors that Toyota and Lexus cars with Bluetooth capability are susceptible to Cabir infection.

Unfortunately, I doubt this trend of immunity will continue indefinitely. As more retail electronics and are controlled by virus-susceptible operating systems, malware miscreants will increasingly target those systems. Personally I’m waiting for the first toaster virus that burns my breakfast.

Toyota Prius immune to virus attack—for now

by Bill Detwiler ·

According to antivirus software developer F-Secure, the Cabir mobile-phone worm cannot infect a Bluetooth-enabled Toyota Prius. During a recent test, F-Secure technicians tried to transmit the Cabir.B and Cabir.H worms to a Toyota Prius without success. This puts to rest rumors that Toyota and Lexus cars with Bluetooth capability are susceptible to Cabir infection.

Unfortunately, I doubt this trend of immunity will continue indefinitely. As more retail electronics and are controlled by virus-susceptible operating systems, malware miscreants will increasingly target those systems. Personally I’m waiting for the first toaster virus that burns my breakfast.

Toyota Prius immune to virus attack—-for now

by Bill Detwiler ·

I’m ready for biometric authentication

by Bill Detwiler ·

While speaking at a conference sponsored by Australia’s national Computer Emergency Response Team (AusCERT), Jesper Johansson, Microsoft’s senior program manager for security policy, suggested IT departments change decades of common policy, and encourage users to write down their passwords. According to Johansson, users required to remember passwords on dozens of separate accounts will often use the same password for all–thus “reducing overall security”.

As someone with at least 15 different accounts, I understand Johansson’s suggestion, but feel it’s just a temporary solution. Encrypted password files and RSA tokens (which I’ve used in the past) offer higher security than simple passwords, but are also vulnerable to forgetful users.

Personally I’m ready for biometric authentication–thumb prints, iris scans, hand geometry, what ever. Electronic manufacturers should settle on a highly-secure standard and implement that technology across the board–computers, automobiles, ATMs, doors, and so forth. I don’t mind pairing my thumb print with a single password or pin. Having worked with end users for many years, I doubt most will have trouble remembering ONE alphanumeric key. Problems arise when we ask the average person to remember 20 different keys.

I’m ready for biometric authentication

by rbencheikh ·

In reply to I’m ready for biometric authentication

I agree with you 100%, government agencies and other bodies are still experimenting with the different biometric authentication devices, I don’t think it’s 100% bullet proof, show me one system that is, you hear the bad publicity from time to time, like http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm  . we have to educate users, there are many issues and implications we have to look at before starting using biometrics, saying that, i still think biometrics are the way forward to secure authentication.

R Bencheikh   http://www.thebiometrix.com

Computer criminals hold files for ransom

by Bill Detwiler ·

Cyberscofflaws are now using encryption to hijack and ransom users files, according to Websense, a California-based Web security firm. News.com reports that a Websense customer was victimized in early May, 2005. The victim visited a malicious Web site exploited a known vulnerability in Internet Explorer to surreptitiously install the PGPcoder/Gpcode Trojan. The malware selected 15 files from the victim’s hard drive, encrypted the files, removed the originals, and then presented a message asking $200 for the encryption key. Fortunately, Websense was able to break the malware’s simple encryption and decode the files.

Although not yet a common attack, this type of attack will only increase. Pranksters and academics no longer dominate the computer crime landscape. Organized criminal groups are following the money into cyberspace. Electronic ransom and blackmail through DoS and DDoS attacks offer the opportunity for significant gain with little, or no, chance of being caught and severely punished. Ransoming individual files or individual systems is unfortunately a natural progression.

Bank of American fights phishers but malicious insiders pose greater threat

by Bill Detwiler ·

Bank of America is rolling out a new security measure to
      fight phising scams. The new SiteKey system uses images and text to reassure
      customer they are using a genuine Bank of America Web site.

While I’m glad Bank of America is taking steps to protect
      their customers from phishing attacks, I’m more concerned with insider data
      theft. In May Bank of America notified at least
      60,000 customers that their accounts might be at risk. Bank of America
      employees gave or sold account information to DRL Associates, a company that
      claimed to provide bank account, balance, and employment information to debt
      collectors. The data was then sold to collection agencies and law firms, among
      others. In February Bank of America lost backup tapes containing Social Security
      numbers and credit card information of 1.2 million U.S. government employees.

Malicious employees and data handling mistakes pose a far
      greater risk than phishing attacks. Recent security breaches illustrate that Bank
      of America and other organizations could do better do protect the person data
      customers entrust them with.

Attending Tech-Ed 2005

by Bill Detwiler ·

I’ll be attending Tech-Ed 2005 Monday 6/6 through mid-day
      Wednesday 6/8. Last week I used Microsoft’s Breakout Sessions Calendar to
      organize my TechEd schedule. The tool worked well when using IE, but failed to
      function using Firefox–imagine that.

My schedule focuses heavily on the Security track. I’ll be attending Gord
      Mangione’s, VP of Microsoft Security, strategic Security briefing on Monday
      morning. According to Microsoft’s Tech-Ed Web site, Mangione will discuss “his
      perspective on the state of security today, the importance of continued
      innovation, and advances in Microsoft’s platform, products, and technologies
      designed to better protect customers”. I’ll be interested to hear what
      Mangione says about Trustworthy Computing and Windows’ support for two-factor
      authentication.

Alleged Sasser creator faces July trial

by Bill Detwiler ·

Sven Jaschan’s trail is scheduled to begin July 5th.
      Jaschan, a 19-year-old from Waffensen in Lower Saxony, was arrested in May 2004
      and subsequently confessed to releasing the Sasser worm and several Netsky
      variants. German firewall company Securepoint, hired Jaschan in September 2004
      as a security programmer.

What are you looking forward to most about Tech-Ed 2005?

by Bill Detwiler ·

What are you looking forward to most about Tech-Ed 2005–attending
      the breakout sessions, hearing the keynote addresses, collecting freebies from
      the exhibition booths, networking with fellow IT professionals, hanging out in
      Orlando on your company’s dime?

Tech-Ed 2005 – Day 1 – Why is my wireless connection so slow?

by Bill Detwiler ·

Energy permeated the air as I registered for Tech-Ed this morning. Hundreds
      of IT pros flocked the show floor; watching, waiting, and connecting with each
      other. Unfortunately this was more than I could say for my wireless network
      connection. I’m glad that Microsoft provides Tech-Ed attendees with free wireless
      access, in fact I would expect no less. Unfortunately they skimped on the
      bandwidth. It took me no less than 10 minutes to access CNET’s network and begin
      retrieving my e-mail. It seemed the 802.11b network was straining to handle the
      traffic attendees were generating. I hope this is just a first-day glitch that
      Microsoft will fix as Tech-Ed continues.

Tech-Ed 2005 – Day 1 – Why is my wireless connection so slow?

by rexworld ·

In reply to Tech-Ed 2005 – Day 1 – Why is my wireless connection so slow?

They’d better have more than a mere 802.11b.  It ought to be
        802.11g, if you’re gonna have a lot of people hitting the
        network.  Also the darned 2.4 GHz range is very susceptible to
        interference–at home my cordless phone operates in that range and can
        cut out the Wi-Fi signal.  I could imagine the hotel or convention
        center you’re at might have cordless phones or other equipment
        operating in the same 2.4 GHz range.

Best Tech-Ed 2005 exhibitor contests and giveaways

by Bill Detwiler ·

Surf the exhibitor isles at Tech-Ed 2005 and you’ll be bombarded with
      sales pitches, giveaways, and contests. MP3 players and smartphones are
      common contest prizes this year. Altiris is giving away an Apple iPod.
      Some exhibitors however, are going above and beyond the normal offering
      of gadgets. Sybari Software, a security software provider in the
      process of being acquired by Microsoft, is giving away a kayak,
      snowboard, mountain bike, and assorted camping gear. Citrix is giving
      away a Creative Labs MuVo Micro 1GB MP3 player every hour. So far,
      Sunbelt Software takes the top prize with the customer chopper their
      giving away on Thursday, June 9th at 3PM–must be present to win.

Post a comment to this thread and share you favorite Tech-Ed 2005 freebies and contests.

SQL Server 2005

by Bill Detwiler ·

During Tuesday’s Tech-Ed keynote Paul Flessner, Microsoft Senior Vice President of the Server Applications,
      announced that Microsoft would release SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, and
      BizTalk Server 2005 the week of November 7th, 2005.

Microsoft to release SQL Server 2005 the week of November 7, 2005

by Bill Detwiler ·

During Tuesday’s Tech-Ed 2005 keynote, Paul Flessner, Microsoft Senior Vice President of the Server Applications,
      announced that Microsoft will release SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, and
      BizTalk Server 2006 the week of November 7th, 2005.

Microsoft unveils Microsoft Update and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)

by Bill Detwiler ·

During his keynote Tech-Ed 2005 presentation, Microsoft CEO Steve
      Ballmer announced that the new Microsoft Update and Windows Server Update
      Services (WSUS) were live as of June 6. I witnessed a demonstration the new
      tools during Gord Mangione’s Tech-Ed 2005 strategic briefing Security: Raising the Bar. Mike Chan, Microsoft
      Technical Product Manager, showed how IT organizations can use of Microsoft
      Update and WSUS to better manage software updates.

Key points about Microsoft Update and WSUS:

• Provides caching support for ISA Server 2004 – This
        feature is handy for remote offices with multiple clients. Once the first client
        pulls the update from Microsoft other clients can pull the information the ISA
        server.
      • Provides Service Packs and other updates, not
        just security patches
      • Opt-in process to switch from Windows Update to
        Microsoft Update
      • You can run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
        (MBSA) from Microsoft Update.
      • You can control which updates are applied to
        which machines via Group Policy and Active Directory

Unfortunately, the neither Microsoft Update nor WSUS eliminates
      the need to reboot after update installation. Mangione and Chan said Microsoft
      was working on this problem for Longhorn.

Check out this Microsoft TechNet article for more information on Microsoft
      Update and WSUS.

CardSystems Solutions security breach endangers 40 million credit cards

by Bill Detwiler ·

On Friday, June 17th MasterCard International
      announced that CardSystems Solutions, a Tuscon-based possessor of payment card
      information, suffered a security breach that potentially exposed information on
      more than 40 million credit cards. MasterCard-branded cards make up approximately
      13.9 million of the affected cards. According to multiple news reports, CardSystems
      Solutions detected the breach on May 22 and notified the FBI the following day.
      Authorities believe the exposed information includes account-holder names, bank
      names, and credit card numbers. Criminals could use this information for credit
      card fraud, but not for identity theft. Multiple news agencies are covering
      this story, including: CNET’s News.com, CBS News, Fox News, CNN, ABC News, and
      MSNBC–many news agencies are using the original AP report.

Tougher cybercrime sentences will be needed

by Bill Detwiler ·

According to a CNET News.com report, a German judge issued a
      21-month suspended sentence the teenager who admitted creating the Sasser
      computer worm. The 19-year-old Jaschan was put on probation for three years and
      must complete 30 hours of community service.

While I don’t believe Jaschan’s crime warrants a lengthy prison
      term, the court should have issued a stronger sentence and required him to
      spend at least 6 months in jail. Although not an issue in the Sasser case, cybercrime
      has shifted from the realm of social activists and academics, to the world of
      organized crime. Future sentences should reflect that shift.

Though this shift increases the risk cybercrime posses, it
      also lets us combat cybercrime with techniques likely to work against financially
      motivated perpetrators. Here’s an example:

“The Sasser case is the only success so far for Microsoft’s Anti-Virus Reward Program, which was launched
      in November 2003. The program has offered a total of $1 million to informants
      who help close official investigations into four major viruses and worms,
      including Sasser, and has another $4 million earmarked for future rewards.”
      CNET News.com.

Financial incentives are more effective when used against individuals
      motivated by financial gain. Reward programs haven’t been overly successful in
      the past, but they will likely produce better results in the future.

by hutchtech ·

In reply to Tougher cybercrime sentences will be needed

Bill,

I’ve got to respectfully disagree with your statement that “…Jaschan’s crime [doesn’t] warrant a lengthy prision term.”  If we don’t take this case seriously, then why should anyone with the skills necessary, not continue to use the Internet as their own personal playground?  He caused billions of dollars in losses for business.  If he’d stolen this money outright, we’d be calling for his head, but since he merely started the snowball rolling, and happened to be a minor, we should slap him on the hand?  I don’t think so.

While he may not have personally profited from his actions, he is one of the most prolific vandals in history.  The damage Kevin Mitnick did pales in comparison to this hooligan.

– Hutch

by jaqui ·

In reply to Tougher cybercrime sentences will be needed

nope, he shouldn’t have gotten a lengthy prison term
        just long enough to bild a gallows and hang him untiul dead!!!

no mercy for people like that..

oh, heck, no mercy !!!
        kill em all thet the gods sort em out!!

U.S. Department of Homeland Security creates Assistant Secretary for Cyber S

by Bill Detwiler ·

On Wednesday, Secretary Michael
      Chertoff
      announced a six-point agenda for the Department of Homeland
      Security designed “to ensure that the Department?s policies, operations,
      and structures are aligned in the best way to address the potential threats ?
      both present and future ? that face our nation,” according a department press
      release

DHS will release details of Chertoff’s new agenda in the
      coming weeks and months, but several outlined several changes in Wednesday’s
      press release. Among these changes is the creation of a new Assistant Secretary
      for Cyber Security and Telecommunications. This person will be responsible for “identifying
      and assessing the vulnerability of critical telecommunications infrastructure
      and assets; providing timely, actionable and valuable threat information; and
      leading the national response to cyber and telecommunications attacks,”
      according to DHS.

The new Assistant Secretary position is a much needed boost
      to the formerly director-level post. Hopefully DHS will have more luck keeping
      the new position filled, as the department went through a string of directors
      for the National Cyber Security Division, including Richard Clarke, Howard
      Schmidt, Amit Yoran and Robert Liscouski.

WSJ Outlines current cybersecurity threats

by Bill Detwiler ·

Last week, The
      Wall Street Journal
      published a great cybersecurity piece that’s definitely
      worth a read. The authors provide detail explanations of common threats such targeted
      attacks, botnets, adware, spyware, and more. While the article’s information
      won’t be news to computer security professionals and seasoned network administrators,
      it’s worth a quick look and could serve as a reference the next time senior
      management asks you to describe the latest network security threats.

?500 fine appropriate for UK man who stole wireless bandwidth

by Bill Detwiler ·

According to The Register, a British court sentenced
      24-year-old Gregory Straszkiewicz to 12 months conditional discharge and a ?500
      fine for “dishonestly obtaining a communications service and related
      offences.” Straszkiewicz accessed the wireless broadband connections of
      multiple residents with the intention of obtaining stealing bandwidth.

Because authorities provided “no evidence he
      [Straszkiewicz] had any hostile motive beyond” a free Internet connection,
      John Leyden, the article’s author, categorized Straszkiewicz’s sentence as
      “harsh”. A point with which I respectfully disagree. Leyden used the
      term “borrow” to describe Straszkiewicz’s actions. As Straszkiewicz
      had no intention of repaying victims for their bandwidth, I contend that
      Straszkiewicz stole, not borrowed, the bandwidth.

“It’s unclear whether anyone who accidentally jumped
      onto another party’s net connection (easy to do if a host is using an unsecured
      connection with no encryption) might also risk prosecution,” Leyden wrote
      in closing. Here Leyden appears to liken Straszkiewicz‘s
      premeditated theft to the inadvertent intrusion on an unsecured wireless
      network. Despite any technical similarity these two actions have, they are
      diametric opposites with respect to motivation and outcome. Straszkiewicz
      purposely and repeatedly used someone else’s paid Internet connection without
      permission.

Consider an individual I’ll call John. John works in a large
      office building that houses several businesses. On day the company’s copier malfunctions.
      Needing to copy several documents, John asks his boss for instructions. John’s
      boss arranges for John to make copies at ABC corporation, another business in
      the building. John leaves to make the copies. Unfortunately, John mistakenly
      enters the office’s of BAC company. The BAC’s office door is open and the reception
      area is empty. John, who believes this to be the right office, walks beyond the
      reception area to the copier. While making his copies, John is confronted by a
      employee and asked to explain his presence and copier use. Realizing his
      mistake, John apologizes and explains the situation. Later, John’s company reimburses
      BAC for the cost of the copies. BAC company understands John’s mistake, accepts
      his apology, and agrees to the reimbursement.

Now consider Jane, who also works in the same office
      building. Each day during lunch, when most offices are empty, she leaves her workplace
      and secretly enters BAC company. Without permission she copies dozens of
      documents. Jane’s actions are recorded by BAC surveillance cameras. When BAC
      employees confront her with the evidence, Jane acknowledges her actions but
      refuses to reimburse BAC company.

Both John and Jane entered BAC company offices without
      permission. They each made unauthorized copies. But the similarities end there.
      John made an honest mistake and offered a suitable reparation. Jane knowingly
      and repeatedly used BAC’s copier without permission and refused to make
      repayment. Jane is guilty of both trespass and theft.

These two scenarios illustrate the difference between
      someone who accidentally wonders onto and then off of an unsecured wireless
      network and someone who purposefully and repeatedly seeks out and uses unsecured
      wireless networks without permission.

While current statutory and case law on Wi-Fi access leaves
      many questions unanswered, there are guidelines that business and consumers can
      follow. Check out this News.com article on
      TechRepublic
      for more information.

?500 fine appropriate for UK man who stole wireless bandwidth

by lampman55 ·

In reply to ?500 fine appropriate for UK man who stole wireless bandwidth

Right On!  Steeling is steeling, period.  To borrow is to
        request access and offer, if necessary, a payment in leu of service or
        use.  The penalty levied against Straszkiewicz was just, if not light.

I hope the US will consider the same offense as the responsibility of
        the thief, not of the company who ‘didn’t secure their WiFi
        adequately.’.  Am I responsible for someone breaking into my house
        because I left the front door open?

Great Article!

Vic.

Helpful computer crime downloads for IT professionals

by Bill Detwiler ·

IT professionals should report computer crimes to the proper
      authorities, but many aren’t sure exactly which activities are illegal, which
      should be reported, and to whom the activities should be reported. TechRepublic’s
      Computer crime reporting checklist helps
      you make that decision with confidence.

Computer crime reporting checklist
      http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-1009-5678282.html

Once you detect a computer crime and decide to report that
      activity to law enforcement, you must secure all digital evidence. Yet the
      steps necessary to maintain the integrity of digital evidence often run
      contrary to common IT practices. TechRepublic’s Computer crime evidence-preservation checklist tells you what to do
      and what not to do in the aftermath of a computer crime.

Computer crime
      evidence-preservation checklist

http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-1009-5678286.html

Helpful computer crime downloads for IT professionals

by ankit17.ag ·

In reply to Helpful computer crime downloads for IT professionals

well i think that you are right by saying that.

first i ll tell something abe myself.i m an undergraduate student and in india.

i dont how much it is known in globally….but in India,the cyber crime laws are not well defined and most of the people using internet dont even know much about that.infact i also think that i also dont know very much about that.

so,how is it possible for the people to report cyber crime.

secondly,the genral mind set of the people here is to stay away from the police.

Zotob suspect appears in Moroccan court

by Bill Detwiler ·

Reuters reported yesterday that “a Moroccan magistrate
      questioned an 18-year-old science student in court on Tuesday about his alleged
      role in unleashing computer worms that disrupted networks across the United
      States last month.”

Zotob suspect appears in Moroccan court

by master3bs ·

In reply to Zotob suspect appears in Moroccan court

With as much sensational coverage the worm got when it was released, isn’t it amazing how underreported this story is?

Juvenile appropriately sentenced for accessing Paris Hilton’s Sidekick

by Bill Detwiler ·

Last week, the U.S. District Court in Boston sentenced a
      17-year-old Massachusetts boy to 11 months in a juvenile detention facility and
      two years supervised release for a series of computer crimes–most notable the
      illegal accessing of Paris Hilton’s T-Mobile Sidekick. The teen plead guilty to
      nine counts of juvenile delinquency. During this time the teen is prohibited
      from having or using a computer, cell phone or other device capable of
      accessing the Internet.

Although the illegal accessing of Hilton’s cell phone and
      the subsequent posting the device’s contents garnered the most media attention,
      this young man’s criminal activity goes far beyond the outing of celebrity
      dirt. This teen’s 15-month crime spree included making bomb threats to multiple
      schools, illegally accessing T-Mobile’s network and creating fraudulent phone
      accounts, perpetrating a DoS attack against T-Mobile, illegally accessing and
      installing spyware on internal AOL computers, obtaining proprietary AOL
      information, and illegally accessing LexisNexis databases, which may have
      compromised the information of 310,000 Americans.

Honestly, had this youth only pulled off the Hilton hack I
      would consider the 11-month detention a bit harsh. America’s juvenile justice
      system puts greater emphasis on rehabilitation and reintegration than the adult
      system, and I would expect a first-time offender who caused limited damage to
      receive a lighter sentence. The facts in this case however, illustrate the guilty
      party’s persistent and flagrant disregard for private property, public safety, personal
      privacy and US law. The 11-month detention is therefore highly appropriate.

It is unlikely that this sentence will dissuade the many criminal
      organizations that now perpetrate a significant portion of cybercrime. Yet I am
      hopeful the deprivation of this individual’s freedom and subsequent supervision
      will serve as both a specific and general deterrent to the casual cybermiscreant.
      Specific meaning the sentence will dissuade this individual from continuing such
      illegal activity and general meaning the sentence will serve as a warning to
      other would-be offenders.

You can read more about these events at:
      http://news.com.com/Hilton+hacker+sentenced+to+juvenile+hall/2100-7349_3-5865391.html

Juvenile appropriately sentenced for accessing Paris Hilton’s Sidekick

by dc guy ·

In reply to Juvenile appropriately sentenced for accessing Paris Hilton’s Sidekick

I’ve never seen a shred of evidence supporting the thesis that severe sentencing has a significant deterrent effect on crime of any sort. Most crimes go unreported for a variety of reasons. People find the procedure time-consuming, exasperating, futile, depressing, and sometimes even humiliating. A huge portion of reported crimes go unsolved.

Crimes of passion are rarely well thought out so the perps are often apprehended, but people overcome by passion will not be deterred by threat of punishment. Besides, cybercrimes are hardly crimes of passion in most cases. Few perpetrators are caught. Nobody is going to worry about what will happen to them when the probability of the crime being reported multiplied by the probability of the crime being solved is so tiny.

Young people especially tend to believe they’re invulnerable and as a demographic group they pay little attention to possible consequences of their actions. Just look at their drunk and/or reckless driving record.

Privacy officer leaves Department of Homeland Security

by Bill Detwiler ·

Nuala O’Connor Kelly, the first privacy officer for the Department of
      Homeland Security, stepped down Friday as she announced plans to become
      General Electric’s Washington-based chief privacy leader and senior
      counsel in early to October. Check out this News.com story for more information.

Sober.r variant making the rounds

by Bill Detwiler ·

Sober.r, a new variant of the Sober e-mail worm is making the rounds. Check out the latest at CNET’s Seucrity Center.

Estonian market timers hack PR Web site Business Wire

by Bill Detwiler ·

According to various news sources, two employees from Lohmus
      Haavel & Viisemann, an Estonian financial services firm, used a spider to
      view press releases from Business Wire before the releases went public. These
      cybermiscreants then timed their financial investments around the information
      in the press releases–mergers, acquisitions, major announcements.

Check out more information:

CNET News.com

NPR

I would hire a convicted cybercriminal — would you?

by Bill Detwiler ·

On the soapbox

Security
      firms, software developers, financial institutions, and government
      agencies should decided to hire or fire cyberoffenders on a
      case-by-case basis. Is an applicant who gained or attempted to gain
      unauthorized computer access more or less dangerous than an individual
      convicted of any other crime? It depends. IT hiring managers must
      consider each applicant on his or her case’s individual merits and bear
      in mind poorly written cybercrime laws, one-time indiscretions, and the
      impracticality of an absolute ban on cybercriminal hiring.

Daniel Cuthbert is a cybercriminal. On Thursday, October 7, 2005, a British court found him guilty
      of violating the Computer Misuse Act of 1990. On Dec. 31, 2004, added
      “../../../” to the URL of a Web site soliciting donations for Asian
      tsunami victims in an attempt to access the site’s higher directories.
      Cuthbert claimed he donated to the Web site and later became concerned
      that he’d fallen victim to a phishing scam. Cuthbert was fined about
      $700 and required to pay about $1,050 for costs.

Cuthbert’s conviction underscores the problem created by outdated or
      poorly written cybercrime laws. Cuthbert had a clean criminal
      background and worked for a reputable financial institution. He didn’t
      install a spider, attempt to crack a password-protected system, or try
      a social engineering attack. The trial judge agreed that Cuthbert did
      not intend to cause harm through his actions. The judge also deeply
      regretted finding Cuthbert guilty.

The Computer Misuse Act of 1990 classifies “unauthorized access to
      computer material” as an offense regardless of the accused intent to
      cause damage. While I agree it’s a good idea to classify unauthorized
      “browsing” as criminal, I find it difficult to catalog Cuthbert’s URL
      manipulation as inherently wrong. What happens if an unsuspecting user
      incorrectly enters an URL and strays onto propriety information? This
      activity would be classified as criminal by the Computer Misuse Act.

In the physical world, most individuals understand the boundaries
      between public and private space. We see a house’s front door, knock
      and, if it’s locked, leave. Reasonable individuals understand why
      picking the lock and entering the house without cause constitutes a
      criminal act. In cyberspace, the barriers aren’t so clear. The lack of
      adequate cybercrime case law makes the accurate wording of cybercrime
      statutes critical for effective enforcement. I would equate Cuthbert’s
      manipulation of the Web site URL with knocking on the front door.
      Unfortunately, Cuthbert’s lawyers made this argument during trial and
      failed.

Luckily, computer security firm Corsaire, Cuthbert’s current employer, has taken a sensible view of the situation and chosen to keep Cuthbert as an employee. I applaud Corsaire for choosing to look past Cuthbert’s conviction and consider the situation’s mitigating factors.

Let me be absolutely clear: I’m not advocating that organizations
      hire unrepentant virus propagators, spammers, phishers, or other
      organized computer thieves. All governments should arrest and prosecute
      hardened cybercrimnals to the fullest extent of the law. I also believe
      convicted criminals should face sentences commensurate with their
      crimes. I do propose however, that IT hiring managers make a pragmatic,
      case-by-case evaluation of past criminal history–cyber or otherwise.

Want to keep up with who’s “On the Soapbox” each week? Use this link to automatically subscribe to the Blog Roundup Newsletter and have it delivered directly to your Inbox every Wednesday.

by jaqui ·

In reply to I would hire a convicted cybercriminal — would you?

Actually, the owners of the site in question screwed up by not locking
        down the permissions for the server to stop people from backing up in
        the directory tree like he did.

it was not set up as a secure site / server, so the next issue is how
        much to they pay for data stolen by people accessing areas they should
        have secured?
        they were obtaining donations for the tsunami releif efforts, i bet
        there were records on the site about donations, possibly including
        credit card data.

by master3bs ·

I would on a case-by-case basis for one of the reasons from your first paragraph: “and the
        impracticality of an absolute ban on cybercriminal hiring.”

by peter spande ·

I get the point that this wasn’t a malicious attack and I get that this
        is far from a horrific offense.  I also get the fact that there is
        no way this should have worked if the charity had decent
        security.  Still, if he felt he was scammed there are other ways
        to investigate the fraud.  This feels to me like a story made up
        after the fact to explain actions he knew were wrong.  This is no
        different than going into an unlocked house.  Shame on the home
        owner for not locking the door and shame on the person that went
        in.  If he had the knowledge to crack the site, he should have the
        understanding that what he’s doing is wrong. 

The laws have trouble keeping up with the tech developments but I don’t think this was the case here. 

by Bill Detwiler ·

URL manipulation is completely different than entering a
        locked, or unlocked, house. Imagine the following scenario. You walk up to
        someone’s business. You knock on the door and no one answers. You try the
        door–to poke your head in and say “hello”–but it’s locked. You then
        look in the front window, which has no shade or curtain. As you look through the
        window you see a whiteboard. A variety of sensitive information is written on
        the whiteboard and clearly readable from your vantage point. Have you broken
        the law? The company hasn’t granted you explicit authorization to view the material.
        Yet you have complete access through the company’s blatant failure to protect
        the information.

Now consider KRS 434.853 which defines unlawful access to a
        computer in the fourth degree as “A person is guilty of unlawful access in
        the fourth degree when he or she, without the effective consent of the owner,
        knowingly and willfully, directly or indirectly accesses, causes to be
        accessed, or attempts to access any computer software, computer program, data,
        computer, computer system, computer network, or any part thereof, which does
        not result in loss or damage.”

The important term here is “effective consent”. If
        you access a computer system without the owners knowledge or through the use of
        deception or coercion, you lack “effective consent”. I argue that the
        company described in the scenario above has for all intents and purposes granted
        you “effective consent” to view, or access, the material by placing it
        in plain sight.

It seems only logical to then conclude that the relief Web
        site in question granted Cuthbert “effective consent”. The sensitive information
        plainly visible to anyone who entered a specific URL. It’s on this point that
        the Computer Misuse Act of 1990 is deficient. Most reasonable people would
        conclude that individuals who view, or who attempt to view, information clearly
        visible through a front window–without the use of any vision aid and without
        going to illegal measure to view said information–should not be criminally
        charged. URL manipulation is nothing more the looking through the window.

by apotheon ·

Simply put, I agree. There is really not a whole lot more for me to add at this time, except to say that I find it a chilling comment on the state of the law as regards networking technology that one can be convicted of a criminal offense so easily under such circumstances as these.

I’m pretty sure that, if he’d thought he had been doing anything wrong, it would have occurred to Daniel Cuthbert that tracking him down by way of web server access logs would be a trivial operation.

To whom would you most likely report a serious computer intrusion?

by Bill Detwiler ·

A new TechRepublic poll asks, “To whom would you most likely report a serious computer intrusion?

Law enforcement
      Legal council
      Executive management
      Appropriate regulatory agency
      All of the above
      Wouldn’t report”

The
      2004 CSI/FBI Computer Crime and Security Survey reports that 48 percent
      of responds did not report computer intrusions and only 20 percent
      reported intrusions to law enforcement.

Would you report a serious intrusion? Why or why not?

Has your network suffered a serious intrusion? Did you report the intrusion? What was the outcome?

Educate your IT staff about when and how to report computer crime

by Bill Detwiler ·

We?ve turned Debra Shinder?s popular ?Computer crime reporting checklist? into an easy-to-follow PowerPoint–“Presentation: Learn when and how to report computer crime”. Use this handy training resource to educate your IT staff on how and when to report computer crime.

Teach your IT staff how to preserve computer crime evidence

by Bill Detwiler ·

Taking appropriate action when you detect and decide to report a computer crime can significantly impact the success of any possible prosecution. Use our PowerPoint presentation, ?10 things you should know about computer crime evidence preservation? to educate your IT staff about what to do immediately following a system intrusion.

Technologies that made the biggest impact on my 2005 work life

by Bill Detwiler ·

Video Conferencing

TechRepublic has had video conferencing (VC) equipment for many years, but 2005 was the first year my team and I consistently used the systems. This is due in large part to significant advancements in VC technology. It wasn’t too long ago that calls were placed over ISDN lines and could only be made through large, conference room systems. Today, we can make calls directly from our PCs via Ethernet and our VPN.

The TechRepublic Content Team has several members who telecommute. Even with a conference call system, this has always been a challenge during meetings. Seeing a person’s face conveys the tenor of their comments more effectively than audio-only conference calls.

Check out these links for some of the video conferencing equipment and solutions that we used in 2005:

In 2006 we’ll be examining more video conference equipment. Tandberg offers technology that allows the secure, seamless transmission of external VC calls based on e-mail address or phone number. This would eliminate the current problem of connecting to VC devices outside the LAN/WAN. I can’t wait to try it out.

Instant Messaging

Instant messaging (IM) is another technology that’s been around for several years, but that I only started heavily using this year. Communicating with remote team members was always possible via our telephone system and e-mail, but I always hated sending one sentence e-mails–just more mail to clean out of my mailbox. Phone calls also seem like overkill when it comes to brief questions that require only a one- or two-word reply. I also find that short telephone conversations easily balloon into lengthy discussions. I’ll call a remote team member to discuss a single issue and 20 minutes later we’ve talked about a host of unrelated items. IM is prefect for keeping the conversation on target and under five minutes.

I personally use Cerulean Studios’ Trillian as I hate the extra junk that often comes along with MSN Messenger, AIM, and Yahoo! Messenger.

If you’re looking to incorporate IM into your organization, check out the following TechRepublic IM policies before getting started:

Lost Marriott tapes highlight internal threats

by Bill Detwiler ·

Hotel chain Marriott announced last week that they lost backup tapes containing
      personal information on more than 206,000 customers. The missing tapes hold credit
      card data, Social Security numbers, and, in some cases, bank information on customers
      of Marriott’s time-share division, Marriott Vacation Club International.

Marriott’s data debacle underscores the danger of internal
      threats. The 2005 CSI/FBI Computer Crime and Security Survey reported that “Inside
      jobs occur as often as external attacks.” Whether the missing tapes were
      simply misplaced or stolen for financial gain, Marriott’s IT department should
      seriously reevaluate and adjust their data security measures.

Trojan exploits Windows WMF exploit

by Bill Detwiler ·

Virus writers have released code for a Trojan that exploits a
      flaw in the Window Metafile (WMF) image format. Computers running Windows XP
      (SP1 and SP2) and Windows Server 2003 systems are vulnerable. Older Windows version
      may also be at risk.

Computer security organizations and AV researchers have
      released information on the new threat and Microsoft has released a rather
      cumbersome workaround. Microsoft has stated it will release a patch on January
      10th as part of its normal, monthly update cycle.

SANS has released an unofficial, .MSI installer file fix for the vulnerability that you can download here. I have not tested the file personally, but several AV professionals have and they recommend it.

You can learn more about this threat from the following
      links:

FBI releases 2005 Computer Crime Survey

by Bill Detwiler ·

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has release it 2005 Computer Crime Survey. Quoting from a January 18, 2006 press release, the survey shows the following:

• Frequency of attacks. Nearly nine out of 10 organizations experienced computer security incidents in a year’s time; 20% of them indicated
        they had experienced 20 or more attacks.
      • Types of attacks. Viruses (83.7%) and spyware (79.5%) headed the list. More than one in five organizations said they experienced port scans and network or data sabotage.
      • Financial impact. Over 64% of the respondents incurred a loss. Viruses and worms cost the most, accounting for $12 million of the $32 million in total losses.
      • Sources of the attacks. They came from 36 different countries. The U.S. (26.1%) and China (23.9%) were the source of over half of the intrusion attempts, though masking technologies make it difficult to get an accurate reading.
      • Defenses. Most said they installed new security updates and software following incidents, but advanced security techniques such as biometrics (4%) and smart cards (7%) were used infrequently. In addition, 44% reported intrusions from within their own organizations, suggesting the need for strong internal controls.
      • Reporting. Just 9% said they reported incidents to law enforcement, believing the infractions were not illegal or that there was little
        law enforcement could or would do. Of those reporting, however, 91% were satisfied with law enforcement’s response. And 81% said they’d report future incidents to the FBI or other law enforcement agencies. Many also said they were unaware of InfraGard, a joint FBI/private sector initiative that battles computer crimes and other threats through information sharing.

Unfortunately, as of this posting the link to the full report is not functioning. I will update this post with a corrected link as soon as possible. I’ve included the broken link in the hope the issue will be fixed and the existing link will function.

MyWife e-mail virus making the rounds

by Bill Detwiler ·

A new e-mail virus is spreading.

Check out CNET’s virus alret: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6600_7-6426309-1.html

The Right Tool for the Job?

by Bill Detwiler ·

Next week, TechRepublic is launching an exciting new feature called The Right Tool for the Job?
      Each week a TechRepublic contributor or member will review a different software or hardware tool with which they have significant personal experience. Each reviewer will outline the job for which he or she is using the tool and evaluate the product’s performance. Our reviewers (network administrators, help desk analysts, IT consultants, and other technology professionals) will focus on real-world application and personal experience.

The Right Tool for the Job? reviews will examine help desk call/equipment tracking software, network management and monitoring tools, security software and tools, database software, Web platforms, desktop/laptop management tools, software deployment utilities, hard drive imaging systems, patch management applications, network hardware, business class office hardware, video conferencing equipment, and more. When possible, each review will also include a gallery of photos or screenshots.

Write your own review
      If you’ve found the perfect tool for the job, we want to hear about it. Send us an e-mail describing the product and the job you’re using it for. If we feature the product in The Right Tool for the Job? blog, you’ll earn a little cash and be featured across the TechRepublic Web site and in our newsletters.

Demotivators: You’ll laugh because they’re true

by Bill Detwiler ·

I just posted a new gallery of Demotivators lithographs from Despair, Inc. Skip the delusions that motivational products induce and head straight for the disappointments that follow with these soul-crushingly depressing Demotivators.

Demotivation

Ten laws of geek

by Bill Detwiler ·

If you ever needed to confirm your geekhood, download the ten laws of
      geek
      and see how many fit you. Taken from tapeworm’s, 1337
      h4x0r h4ndb00k
      , these popular geek laws can help even the most
      socially-adept IT pro walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk of a hacker. For example:

Geek Law 2: Thou shalt have seen the movie ?hackers? and knoweth it well. “I have
      never met a geek in my life that hasn?t seen this movie,” wrote tapeworm,
      “It?s quite an exaggeration on real life, but is a classic none the less.
      it is not uncommon to hear quotes from this movie in everyday geek
      conversation.”

How many of the laws fit you? What would you add to tapeworm’s ten laws?

$1,000 for an Origami “PDA”–I’ll pass

by Bill Detwiler ·

As a highly-mobile gadget nut, I’m always looking for new
      gizmos that will fit in my pocket. But I just don’t understand why I should
      spend $1,000, or even $500, for an oversized PDA. Microsoft and PC makers have
      recently unveiled a series of minitablet
      PCs
      . These lightweight, low-wattage devices will run a variant of Windows
      XP developed through Microsoft’s Origami Project.
      Current models will set you back about $1,000, but manufactures are promising
      $500 systems by mid year. So again, I have to ask why.

Sure you can browse the Internet,
      send e-mails, and listen to MP3 files, but the drawbacks are many. Without a full-size
      keyboard, document creation and editing will be all but impossible. Even
      writing e-mails with a stylus is a chore. Sure, I see some limited applications
      for these smaller-than-laptop devices. Doctors and nurses can easily carry
      them around a hospital. But beyond a few very limited markets, I don’t see a
      large segment of consumers rushing out to spend $500 on a glorified PDA. Perhaps,
      I’ll change my mind if I get one to try for a few months. But for now, I’ll
      pass.

$1,000 for an Origami

by mudfoot ·

In reply to $1,000 for an Origami “PDA”–I’ll pass

I agree, there is no realistic market for a 1000$ specialized PC with limited application. I could see using one with an embedded application on a very light wieght windows (read lighter than CE) or better yet Linux for use in an arena such as a hospital, warehouse or some non keyboard required military applications. I have a 300$ PDA that will do all that this new device can do without the operational overhead.

What is the appeal of cell phone gaming?

by Bill Detwiler ·

Would someone please help me understand the appeal of regularly playing games on your cell phone? My Motorola V500’s screen has a viewable area of 3 cm wide by 3.7 cm tall–the image bellow shows my V500 running Bejeweled. I can’t image starring at this tiny space for hours playing a mobile game. Sure, I’ve played Jamdat’s Bejeweled while waiting at the dentists’ office, but only for a few minutes. I could never sit for hours trying to align tiny crystals on a cell phone, and I certainly wouldn’t pay for the pleasure.

I’m a long-time gamer. I’ve played arcade, PC, console, and handheld games for the last 20 years. I also love gadgets. But the $2 billion mobile games market baffles me. I can understand gaming on an integrated PDA, cell phone, MP3 player device with a screen the size of Sony’s PSP, but not a tiny 3 cm by 3.7 cm screen. Perhaps I’m over generalizing my own opinions. A mobile games business worth $2 billion means a great many do enjoy gaming on current cell phone technology. So I’m asking, what is so appealing about cell phone games? Please explain it to me. Please tell me why I should pay for an activity that is essentially a diversion while waiting for someone to clean my teeth.

What is the appeal of cell phone gaming?

by shamusoneil06 ·

In reply to What is the appeal of cell phone gaming?

Howdy Bill,

Interesting question.  I think the size of the device is irrellevant.  The most basic component is that people love to play games in general.  It doesn’t matter whether it’s on a cell phone, an X-Box, or a pin ball machine.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a start-up business with a lot of potential or “playing games” with another’s emotions.  We all play games, just many different forms and sizes.

When people play tiny games(cell phone games, computer games), they have a tinier view of the world than does somebody who spends their time creating a business or a better community.  And those living in tiny world will seek out tiny games to play and they will play them for hours and hours on end; much the same way I did by accumulating about 3 months worth of time playing an internet game over many years.  I’m over that now, thankfully.  But hey, it certainly was really fun at the time; no doubt about it.  đź™‚

All the best!
        -Cristobal

iPod vending machine from Zoom Systems

by Bill Detwiler ·

During a recent trip to Las Vegas, NV, I was captivated by a Zoom Shop vending machine selling Apple iPods. Located in the Las Vegas Hilton, home to the Star Trek Experience and Barry Manilow, this robotic retail system dispenses a variety of iPods and iPod accessories. Developed and operated by California-based Zoom Systems, you’ll find similar units in the San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco Argent Hotel, and the Hartsfield Atlanta Airport.

I’m not sure if I’d buy a $300 piece of technology from an unattended vending machine, but I’m intrigued by the concept.

iPod vending machine from Zoom Systems

Click here to see more photos.

Reports price PS3 between $499 – $736 US: Will you pony up for Sony?

by Bill Detwiler ·

Various Internet sites have reported that George Fornay, VP
      for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, quoted a price of ?499 to ?599 Euros for
      the PS3 during an interview with radio Europe 1. This translates to approximately
      $613 and $736 US. Wow. That’s a little more than I think gamers and analysts
      expected. Sony has been saying for months that the PS3 would have a hefty price
      tag, but many anticipated a price closer to $399 US (see this Gamespot
      article from June 2005
      ).

Sony has yet to announce an official price and these numbers
      may be an attempt to test consumer reaction. Engadget
      also speculates that Sony might adopt a lower price for the US market, starting
      the PS3 at $499. Regardless of the final price, it’s clear that Sony will be
      asking us to pony up some serious cash for the PS3.

Will the average game consumer buy? Only time will tell and I’m
      sure industry analysts will debate the point to death. But I’ll give you my 2
      cents worth. At $499 average gamers and families will likely purchase Sony’s
      new system. Microsoft’s Xbox 360 retails
      for $399 and $299 for the Xbox 360 Core system. I can see people spending
      another $100 for Sony’s “newer” system. At $600 or 700, I’m not so
      sure. You can buy/build a decent computer for that price. Sony can argue all
      they want that the PS3 is a “home entertainment system”, and they’re
      probably right, but parents will still see this as a video game. Sure, many hard
      core Playstation fans can and will spend their own money on the PS3, but I’m
      not sure average electronics consumers will pay en masse.

by smorty71 ·

In reply to Reports price PS3 between $499 – $736 US: Will you pony up for Sony?

$500 and up is strictly fanboy territory IMHO. Families won’t shell that much out, especially when you factor in extra controllers, games, etc. That number could easily be $700-$800 with a controller and 3-4 games. I think the decision to include Blu-Ray will hurt the PS3 in the long run, especially if it turns into another betamax, memory stick, mini disc or UMD.

I shelled out $450 for an XBOX 360 and a second controller; however, the ability to connect it to my Media Center PC and have the equivalent of 2 HDTV DVRs makes it a steal.

I am actually more excited about the Nintendo Revolution than about the PS3. It is rumored to launch at around $150. Plus, it will play all of the old Nintendo games as well as over 1,000 classic Sega Genesis titles.

by Bill Detwiler ·

In reply to Reports price PS3 between $499 – $736 US: Will you pony up for Sony?

Legend of Zelda on my big screen—YES!

At $150, Revolution here I come.

How-to videos: Yes or No?

by Bill Detwiler ·

Over the past few weeks, we’ve published a few downloadable WMV videos. The videos show you how to perform a variety of Windows and Office hacks and give you glimpse of Windows Vista. Currently the videos are only being offered as downloads, but we’re in the proccess of developing an online player, so you can watch the videos before downloading the file. I’d like to get a little feedback on the videos. What do you think of the format? Are they too long, too short, or just about right? Are they more or less helpful than an HTML article or PDF download? Would you like us to offer all three–PDF, HTML, and video?

Check out the following videos and then sound off:

by leblur ·

In reply to How-to videos: Yes or No?

I would prefer either HTLM or PDF as I find it easier to review and store relevant information more easily this way.

I am unsure if the videos were made as samples of length and documentation style or if the included content is part of the type of videos that would be produced. If this is a sample of content, then I think that the videos do not suit the audience that this site is aimed at or maybe I am at the wrong site. The office registry hack could have been covered in a line of text telling users what value to change and where, however for a new user or basic user this video would probably be of use. The same applies to disabling the services, the video should be aimed at a new user or basic user, if there is a tech person who doesn?t know this then they definitely know how to find out.

The final 6mb video on turning RSS feed on Windows Vista and IE7, well you literally had me dumbfounded with that one. Again it appeared aimed at a new or basic user, however both products are in BETA and should only be in use by experienced users or developers so who would have benefited from the video.

by Bill Detwiler ·

In reply to How-to videos: Yes or No?

Thanks for the feedback.

I definintely understand your desire to save content in HTML or PDF. In fact, the content for the Disable Office clipboard video is available as part of our 10 Windows registry hacks for Microsoft Office download.

The Video on disabling Windows XP services was in response to a TechRepublic member asking for this information after reading our Windows XP services that can be disabled download.

The last video was designed as a showcase of features that Vista and IE 7 will offer–similar to our very popular Vista photo galleries: 
        and 

Screenshots: Vista rates your PC

Most users should opt for convertible tablets over slate-style machines

by Bill Detwiler ·

HP Compaq’s TC1100/TR1105 is a light-weight tablet PC that
      offers portability and performance. Yet after using the unit for several
      months, I believe only those who need a slate-style tablet will be truly happy
      with this unit. When used as a pure slate (sans keyboard and docking station as
      shown here), the TC1100/TR1105 is an ultra-portable, ultra-convenient computer.
      Unfortunately, it’s slate-focused design also makes the unit cumbersome at times
      and necessitates the purchase of the optional docking station. Depending on the
      configuration and accessories you purchase, the TC1100/TR1105 costs around
      $2,000. I also think the detachable keyboard ($149) and tablet PC docking
      station ($299) are must-have accessories.

TC1100/TR1105

See more images of the TC1100/TR1105 in this photo gallery.

My test unit came with a 1.0 GHz Pentium M processor, 512 MB
      of RAM, 40 GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go video card, 10.4″ TFT
      display, detachable keyboard, and integrated Ethernet and Wi-Fi networking
      adapters. The docking station came with an optional DVD/CD-RW drive.

Unpacking the test unit, I had my first tablet PC epiphany–these things are useless with out the stylus. The test machine had arrived with a keyboard, docking station, leather carrying case, but no stylus. I tried to use the machine without the accompanying input device, but my best efforts proved fruitless. Once HP sent a replacement stylus, I began using the TC1100/TR1105 with renewed enthusiasm.

Over a period of several months, I used the TC1100/TR1105 as the average
      business user would. I created and edited documents using Microsoft Word,
      Excel, and PowerPoint. I composed and send e-mail with Microsoft Outlook. I
      browsed the Internet and used online applications with Firefox and Internet
      Explorer. I took meeting notes with Microsoft OneNote and gave PowerPoint
      presentation. I even played solitaire and worked a few crossword puzzles.

While putting the TC1100/TR1105 through my real-world tests, I made the following important realizations that anyone contemplating a tablet PC purchase should carefully consider:

1. Unless you will primarily use the tablet in slate-only mode, don’t buy a slate-focused tablet like the TC1100/TR1105. Instead, buy a convertible tablet–one that works like a traditional laptop but also has a swivel screen and functions as a tablet. Slates are perfect for meetings. Their ultra-portable nature make them perfect for taking handwritten notes, browsing the Internet, or giving presentations. Slates also excel where portability is key–nurses and doctors could easily carry them on rounds. Anything beyond these mobility-oriented tasks, and you need either the keyboard or the docking station–see Number 2.
      2. It is impractical to regularly compose documents of more then 50 words using the stylus. Although I was pleasantly surprised by Windows XP Tablet PC Edition’s ability to successfully recognized my handwriting, the keyboard remains a more efficient text entry tool.
      3. The unit’s lack of a built-in DVD/CD drive is a significant inconvenience. For several years, I used a Compaq M300 laptop–ultra-portable with an optical drive in the docking station. I understand HP Compaq’s desire to keep the TC1100/TR1105’s size and weight in check by not including a DVD/CD drive, but I find the hazards outweigh the benefits–software installs are a chore (if not impossible), you can’t watch DVDs while traveling, and you can’t share large files by burning them to a DVD or CD. There are ways around these complaints, but in my opinion an integrated optical drive is a must.
      4. Carry an extra stylus when traveling without the keyboard. Unlike PDAs with touch-sensitive screens, tablet PCs won’t let you use a regular writing instrument or your finger as an input device.

I like the TC1100/TR1105, I only recommend the unit for environments where its slate-based features shine. Users who continuously move and only perform limited text entry are perfect places for the TC1100/TR1105. Otherwise, consider a convertible notebook that functions as both a tablet and traditional laptop.

Most users should opt for convertible tablets over slate-style machines

by scwelles ·

In reply to Most users should opt for convertible tablets over slate-style machines

{I forwarded this article to a friend at work who has one of these, to get his comments.  Here they are.}

Generally I agree.  A convertible style is more appropriate if you want your tablet to double as a conventional laptop.
        A convertible is heavier and is not as light and portable.  I bought my TC1100 because I wanted the lightest weight and portability more than another laptop.  I already had 2 laptops when I bought the TC1100.  The TC1100 is a hybrid and will act as a small laptop when you attach the keyboard.  I seldom use it that way.

Not good for documents over 50 words?  I have written many multipage documents.  You have to spend some time getting used to doing it.  I also always use my palm in graffiti mode which most people don’t seem to do.  Whether you spend the effort to really learn how to use the stylus well to write with seems to be a personal thing.  If this reviewer is limited to 50 words then he did not make the effort required to change habits.  I touch type very well and I can also go at a similar rate using the stylus.

The reviewer thinks a disc drive is necessary?  I have a portable external disc drive for my TC1100 and the only time I use it is to install new programs or to burn an occasional disc.  If the reviewer spent less time watching movies and more time developing stylus skills then his attitude would be different.  Watching a movie on a laptop or portable is not appealing to me.  I will read a book before resorting to watching a movie on a small screen.  I use an LCD on the wall with 7.1 Dolby to watch movies.

Combating spyware in the enterprise

by Bill Detwiler ·

I just posted a new Rootcast on combating spyware in the enterprise. During this 15-minute interview, Debra Shinder, technology consultant and security expert, discusses the increasing threat spyware poses to the enterprise. Mrs. Shinder explains the differences between spyware and viruses and outlines the different spyware types. She also answers TechRepublic members’ questions about fighting spyware?covering topics from Windows Defender to third-party spyware solutions. As a former police officer and author of Scene of the Cybercrime: Computer Forensics Handbook, Debra Shinder brings a unique perspective to the spyware discussion that I think IT pros and end users alike will find useful.

You can listen to the podcast online or download the MP3 file and listen to it later. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Worst tech of 2006 (so far)

by Bill Detwiler ·

From Sony’s Walkman Bean to Intel’s voice-activated remote control, this gallery showcases the tech mistakes, mishaps, and misadventures 2006 has so far produced.

For example, here’s the worst product demo: Intel’s voice-activated remote control

As this video
      shows, Intel’s Don McDonald had quite a bit of trouble getting his
      company’s voice-activated remote control prototype to listen to him
      during an Intel Developers Forum demo.

Intel voice-activated remote

Don’t be lazy: Communicate with your end users

by Bill Detwiler ·

I need to update our servers. I have 20 PCs to deploy. My
      boss wants me to deploy a new VPN. I have to prepare for Windows Vista.

Stop with the excuses! I’ve never worked on a help desk that
      wasn’t overworked, overstressed and underpaid. But that doesn’t mean you can
      ignore the customer–your end users.

Too often, IT organizations fail to adequately communicate
      with their end users. This lack of interaction can lead to confusion,
      suspicion, and even conflict. You can often avoid customer dissatisfaction and
      resentment by effectively and regularly communicating effectively and regularly
      with your end users.

In this 5-minute podcast, I explain why there is no substitute
      for good communication and offer a little advice for using three common
      communication methods: e-mail, voice mail, and face-to-face contacts.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Don’t be lazy: Communicate with your end users

I find it interesting that a discussion on adequate communication is only available in one relatively new format.  It’s probably interesting material, but I won’t find out.  Just because we’re all geeks doesn’t mean we all know what to do with a podcast.  I wonder if that contributed to the complete lack of response.

Don

by el guapo ·

Stop with the podcasting already!  You can get your point across as effectively (perhaps even better) just by listing the article in the blog. There’s no need to launch another app just to hear you speak! 

by Bill Detwiler ·

Palmetto,

Did you have trouble playing or downloading the podcast? We’re experimenting with several new content formats on TechRepublic (screencasts and podcasts) and are trying to educate our users about their existence and when necessary their use. Please let me know how we could make the process easier for you.

Check out these outher podcasts:
        Combating spyware in the enterprise
        10+ tools every support tech should have in their repair kit
        Hack Windows XP with insider tips and tricks from Preston Gralla

Don

by Bill Detwiler ·

El Guapo,

Thanks for the feedback. Podcasts are an alternative format that we’re experimenting with. We’ve found that some members prefer to read our content online, while others want to download the content for later viewing. Podcasts are our attempt to give people a third option–listening to the content on their portable MP3 player or PC. For example the podcast, 10+ tools every support tech should have in their repair kit, is also available as a PDF download.

We’re also using podcasts to offer Q&A sessions with prominent IT
        professionals, technology researchers, and IT book authors.

by charliespencer ·

Bill, we don’t purchase speakers for the computers where I work.  (We haven’t found a business application that requires any sound reproduction capabilites beyond those built into business level systems, and regard external speakers as unnecessary expenses.)  Even with the volume cranked up, I can’t hear what you said.  The portions that were loud enough to hear were unfortunately distorted.

I have a pair of cheap speakers at the house, but I have no idea how long it would take to download the file over my 56K dial-up.  I’ve never tried to download a podcast (or .MP3 or any other multimedia file) so I don’t know how long it takes or what file format is used.  I’ve just assumed (yeah, I know) t would take longer than it was worth.  Perhaps I’ll try it when I get home tonight.

The podcast opened in Windows Media Player, an application I don’t know how to use effectively.  The graphic in the center of the windows was very annoying and distracting.  Yes, I could open the help file and learn how to use it, but I’m not willing to do that for one article when there are other items on TR I can read instead.  Besides, I can’t find the Menu bar.  (Why does MS condition us to an interface feature and then scrap it?  Interface skins “inhale strongly”.)

Finally, I’ll confess to just preferring text to audio.  I can easily locate a paragraph if I want to reread it.  I can print the text and show it to someone else or take it to lunch.  I can read it at my own speed, not the speed of the speaker.

by justin james ·

I wrote a whole blog post (Podcasting Only? No Thanks!) in response to the great comments in this thread. Thanks to all, particularly Palmetto, for the idea.

J.Ja

by oneamazingwriter ·

Bill-

I enjoyed hearing your voice. Adding a very human element to TR was a great idea. What you said about voice mail proved true as I was listening. You made excellent points. I noticed that 106 people before me downloaded your podcast, so I hope a few of those will reply here to you.

Your resident end user,

Beth

Don

by Bill Detwiler ·

TechRepublic is about content choice (not exclusion)

I originally posted this comment on J.Ja’s blog, but am reposting it here as it pertains to this discussion.

During my almost 6 years with TechRepublic I’ve learned that our members (our customers) want content delivered in multiple formats. Some members prefer to read articles online, others want to download our PDF documents, and many prefer our newsletters. Taking a more active role, many members create content by participating in our Discussion forums and Technical Q&A. TechRepublic has always and continues to provide choices.

We offer online articles on Windows hacks, policy and form downloads, interactive discussions on IT management and all matters of geekology. When possible and appropriate, we even offer the same content in multiple formats–check out the download Security through visibility: Revealing the secrets of open source security and the article version. My podcast 10+ tools every support tech should have in their repair kit is also available as a PDF download. We know our members pick and choose the content formats they find most helpful–we encourage that choice.

As the Internet evolves and content formats expand, TechRepublic will strive to offer content in those new formats. Text is still the dominant Internet format, but high-speed connections are increasing the prevalence and user desire for new formats, such as RSS feeds, podcasts, photo galleries, and video. In a July 2005 News.com article, the Diffusion Group predicted that the U.S. podcast audience will climb to 56 million by 2010 and that three-quarters of all people who own portable digital music players will listen to podcasts. As an online media company, CNET and TechRepublic cannot and should not ignore this trend. Does this mean we will abandon our text-based content? Of course not. We will continue to offer content formats that our members tell us they want.

As someone who wants to produce great content that our members find helpful, I welcome content suggestions and constructive criticism. I may not always agree, but I will always listen and act when appropriate. I take offense however, to J.Ja’s statement that by offering an additional content format I am making TechRepublic more difficult to use for our members with disabilities. Now that we offer streaming and downloadable podcasts, those with impaired vision can choose to listen to our content or read it with a screen reader. Those with hearing impairments can still access our online and downloadable text-based content. Again, we often offer content in multiple formats and allow the customer to choose.

by justin james ·

Bill, I am sorry if I came off a bit harshly, but the reason why I wrote what I wrote is because the information in your podcast is simple not available in a non-audio format. There is no transcript or even a “bullet point summary.” That means that people who are unable to listen to the podcast are excluded from this information. This include: hearing impaired people, people on the phone, people in busy/noisy environments, people in public places, people without speakers/headphones, people on slow connections (not excluded, but not very usable), people who prefer text, and many more. It is important to note that if this article had been written, but also offered as a podcast, no one would have said a thing. Those who do not use podcasts would have still been able to consume the information you present.

I do applaud the idea of giving people new ways of consuming the information on TechRepublic. Every available path helps, and gives users the freedom to choose how they want to get the information they need and want. But to offer content exclusively as a podcast is a mistake on many levels. And that is what I argue against.

There is a good deal of content on TechRepublic, ZDNet, and many other CNET properties that I simply do not access because it is offered exclusively as a podcast. As shown in the above comments, I am not the only one.

In your response, you quote the number “56 million podcast users by 2010”. There are over one billion Internet users today. This is an audience with a guaranteed ability to consume plain text HTML. Even using that “56 million users by 2010” number, and pretending that the number of Internet users does not go up one bit between now and 2010, podcast users will be a mere 5.6% of the current Internet population by 2010. Furthermore, what percentage of those users will be able to understand spoken English? English written as plain HTML can be translated into other languages automatically; a reader with poor English comprehension skills will be able to read the English at their own pace, instead of trying to follow spoken words, and so on and so on.

I also think it is important to weigh the cost of a podcast versus the value of a podcast. A podcast requires equipment, editing skills, software, etc. to create that plain HTML does not. Audio eats up more bandwidth than text any day of the week. Audio requires significantly more disk space. Audio requires a higher level of system requirements on the user’s parts (not an issue with current machines, but what about people targeted by those $100 laptops that will be coming out soon?).

Again, if the podcast is replicated/duplicated in a text format, or offers a value that simply cannot exist in text format, I see no reason to have a podcast as the only method of accessing content. But to make it the exclusive method of getting certain content, to reach an audience that in 4 years will be 5% of today’s audience? I think that is a bad idea.

J.Ja

Don

by Bill Detwiler ·

The basis for this podcast came from my August 2000 TechRepublic article, Talking Shop: Keep your end users informed by using some simple communication.

Because the article is not a verbatim transcript of the podcast and it’s difficult to describe long URLs within a podcast, I did not mention the original article/download in the podcast–as I did in my podcast 10+ tools every support tech should have in their repair kit.

Don

by charliespencer ·

At the risk of pouring gas on a fire I didn’t intend to start, I’d like to point out that links are another advantage of HTML-based articles over podcasts, as are graphics. I’m not opposed to podcasts, I just wondered why the article was only available in one medium. Thanks for posting a link to the original article.

I found the podcast loaded at a satifactory rate over my home dial-up connection. I’d never tried one because I’d heard the horror stories about downloading media files over a dial-up line. I didn’t anticipate the podcast starting to play BEFORE the download finished. There was only a few seconds delay between clicking on the icon and the sound starting. Once it started playing, I expect the sound to pause frequently while the file was updated, but I was also surprised that the file (what
        file extension?) continued to download (where is it stored? How can I replay it?) without
        disrupting the playback. Even with a cheap pair of speakers, your remarks were easily understood.

The podcast played in QuickTime player. I don’t know how to sort between the various media players, but from what I’ve read I’m not the only one with that problem. QuickTime didn’t distract me with a graphic of an electric colon, but I don’t have enough experience with either QuickTime or WMP to express an educated preference. What little I’ve read seems to indicate that there’s no reason to prefer one over the other since many files are only available for one or the other. We ban QuickTime at work because it hijacks file associations, causing problems with our Cold Fusion-based document retrieval system and requiring extensive work in the Registry to break the associations.

Don’t get me wrong. The technological barriers I anticipated did not turn out to be an issue, but I still prefer reading over listening and would like to see at least one text-based alternative to future pod-casts. This could be an online article or a PDF download.

Also, I just read your blog entry from earlier in the month, asking about content distribution via movie.  I noticed only a single response to the idea, and it wasn’t exactly favorable.  I’d like to see TR staffers to float new ideas as Discussions, not Blog entries, simply because the Discussions seem to get more feedback.

$499 / $599 for a Playstation 3: No way!

by Bill Detwiler ·

Sony has announced that their next generation gaming system, the Playstation 3, will cost either $499 (for a 20GB hard drive) or $599 (for a 60GB hard drive). Sony plans to launch US sales Nov. 17–six days after the Japanese launch. According to News.com “Sony is committed to shipping 4 million PS3s by Dec. 31 and another 2 million by March 31, 2007.” Sony is banking on people paying a premium above Microsoft’s Xbox 360 (priced at $399 and $299) for the PS3’s Blue-ray DVD technology.

Personally, I’ll pass on Sony’s new platform, and I think many average gamers and families will too. At $600 dollars, the PS3 is for serious Sony fanboys only. You can buy a mid-range PC for $600, and I think many people will make this comparison. Sorry Sony, I think the PS3 is way over priced for mass consumption.

by curtis.mulcahy ·

In reply to $499 / $599 for a Playstation 3: No way!

The only reason I own a PS2 is for Grand Turismo, but there is no way I am going to pay that kind of money to play 3 or 4 games I really like. Most games get released to both the Xbox and Playstation anyway, I think I would rather buy 2 Xbox’s.

by leonard j rivera sr. ·

Very sad indeed. Been a Sony gamer on PS1 and PS2, looks like they no longer need my business at 600 bux a pop. They should at least take this lesson from Microsoft, lose money on the console to gain a better foot hold on marklet share and make your money on the game licensing.

I like the XBox 360 (close friends have it) but I couldn’t justify that cost for a gaming system either. My son has the first X-Box and it works just fine. Let’s see what Nintendo brings to the table, I may finally buy from nintendo after all these years.

Bummer though, loved the playstations up to now. Guess I’ll stick with my roots and be a PC Gamer for life.

by Mark W. Kaelin ·

I’m not a console gamer — my last console was an Intellivision (Thank you George Plimpton) — but I have to agree with Bill. You can get a good solid PC for $600 dollars and since many games will be released on PC, Xbox 360 and PSP3 I don’t see any reason to buy it.

While Sony wants to control the world with proprietary storage solutions like Blue-Ray and Betamax and all the rest, they can never seem to understand that the market will determine the storage technology based largely on how much it costs, not on how much it may promise for the future.

I’m saving my next generation game player Pavlov salivation for HD capable video cards on the PC. I’m thinking I may treat myself to a new game PC for Christmas this year — It will be about three years since my previous purchase at that point. Three years is my self-imposed life span for a gaming PC. Yeah, I know, I’m a crazy game geek, what can I say.

by robert.mahoney ·

After reading that headline, I’m not all that surprised. I think when the first PS2 came out it was around $399. But now at $499 or even $599? There is no WAY I can justify that to myself. Realistically, by the time you grab the system (which will probably need another $100 just on another controller or other peripherals) then another $80 for the game (because of the system is expensive, the games gotta cost more too) now you’re lookin at $1000 easy on opening day! Plus taxes? Hahahaha – WOW. Microsoft must be belly laughing right now at that one.

Throw in the fact their system is less priced, has produced some really good games (PGR3 anyone?) and with the pending heavy weights of Gears Of War and Halo 3 coming…you’ll have no problems finding PS3’s on store shelves this Christmas. ‘Cuz ain’t nobody but the super rich are gonna buy them!

Ridiculous…and I had full intention of purchasing it. Now you can forget it! Not till the price drops.

by mike.jennings ·

500 to 600 dollars and you’re pretty much marketing to a small audience. I don’t see myself paying that kind of money for a game console. I’m more partial to PC gaming myself, but it seems lately that PC games have lost their originality and are just Xbox and Playstation converts.

by michael.laborde ·

I know people who will buy it just to get a full-function Blu-Ray player for $500 instead of $800-1000.  They’ll never play a game on it.

by ben mack ·

Sony have gone out f their way to make me distrust them. All I wanted to do was listen to a cd while reading emails when the sony cd installed a rootkit into my computer that made it crash frequently. They are way too anti-customer for me.
               There is NO WAY I will give them a single dollar for anything.
        Ben.

by georgeou ·

“You can buy a mid-range PC for $600”

Actually, you can BUILD a high-end PC for $600.

As I understand it, Sony is going to lose $300 per unit on the PS3.  That’s gotta be a record.  If they pull it off, it will allow them to maintain their leadership and give BlueRay some life.  If they don’t, they’re going to lose a boat load of money and lose their shirt.  I don’t know what the outcome is and a lot depends on timing and execution.  But if I had to put money on Sony, I would be hard pressed to.

by justin james ·

I have bought numerous cars for the price of a premium PS3 (then again, I know people who bought cars for $30, and I once swapped a car for $50 in parts for another car). My point is, I weigh the usefulness and enjoyment against other items. There is no way a game console can deliver $600 worth of fun and use to me. I have an XBox, I watch a DVD on it once every few once, and fire up a game once every three or four months. Let’s not forget that the new generation of consoles ($299 – $599 in price) require at least $1,000 worth of television to look great. My XBox is hooked up to an $80 TV. It looks like a Super Nintendo in terms of graphics, and sounds like a Colecovision. As one poster already pointed out, add in the cost of a second controller, a game or two, and maybe a few other doodads, plus factor in getting a great TV to take maximum advantage of the system, and you’re looking at an investment equal to the cost of a semester’s tuition at a community college. Ouch! Not for me. I like video games, but not that much.

J.Ja

by worsley_ngw ·

It really doesn’t matter what many think The PS3 is more than just a game console it has a blu-raydisc player which holds up to 200 Gigs theorectically which can hold a computer on it and it has one of the best processor in world in it. you also forget that for 500 dollars you get more for the money than if you buy a Xbox 360 for 400 which you have to buy a harddrive $100 then a intercoller $40 dollars and what everyone should know is that microsoft is king of glitches then you have to buy xbox live just to get online with the PS3 its free completly free they will gain money oh yeah for the 600 dollar one you get 60 gigs of hard drive more than some computers it. Acutally is a computer it is well worth the money. 6 usb removable hardrive so you can hook it right up to your computer. You have to study your electronics before you pass judgement.

by clobberintime ·

In response to WorsleyNGW. The $400 Xbox 360 comes with the Hard Drive included. As far as the second controller for $40, well that will aplly to the PS3 too. No companies sell systems with more than 1 controller anymore. I am a proud first-generation owner of both Playstations as well as the Xbox. Guess what? The launch hardware for ALL of them were pretty infamous for being glitchy. That’s the risk you take with being an early adopter.You also don’t have to buy Xbox Live to get online with the 360, just to PLAY online. You can get all the demos, trailers, and downloadable content, as well as the excellent Xbox Live Arcade, for free. It really does help to study your electronics before you pass judgement. Hopefully next time you will. My $.02 about the price is, I just don’t feel that $600 is justifiable for a High-Definition DVD format that is NOT clearly established to be the industry standard. I’m not going to risk that much cash to take the chance of getting stuck with another Betamax player. The actual system itself is not that much more powerful than the 360. Certainly not $200 worth. I’m going to enjoy my 360, and probably get the Wii instead.. I’ll buy the PS3 once it drops in price by $200 or $300

by damu22 ·

yea for real, i think sony out did themselves. I’m a ps fan but for
        that price, i think im going to be an xbox fan, and the price of the
        games will be about $60. With the economy as unstable as it is in the
        U.S., i dont think many people will buy the ps3, because its not like
        people are making more money than they used to when ps2 came out. Sorry
        sony but im going to wait till 2009 before i buy your used video game, and
        best believe a lot of people will invest their money on bootleg games.

by aldugan ·

Yes, that is very expensive and will turn off a lot of people… but the fact remains they’ll still sell out… just look at what the xbox 360’s were selling for, people had no problem at all shelling out $1000+ for a product with a MSRP of $400!

by wingedmonkey ·

You bet I am going to buy one, maybe two or more! I will resell them on Ebay and use the profits to buy my kids a Nintendo Wii, take the wife out to dinner, maybe a river cruise and get a new computer chair for myself, in leather.

This plan is based on the PS2?s that resold an average of $2,500 on EBay and the 360 that was an average of $1,500 during their first two weeks of release. Of course, if they flood the market the way they did with the PSP, I will be so?.NOT happy

Disco-era computers bring back memories

by Bill Detwiler ·

During the disco days of the 1970s, personal computers moved out of the electronic hobbyist’s garage or basement and into the office, classroom, and family den. I posted a gallery that showcases several 1970-era machines from Steven Stengel’s vintage computer collection. Steven has graciously allowed us to republish his photos and descriptions. Here’s one of my favorites.

Dinosaur Sightings: Computers from the 1970s
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6073983.html

MSAI 8080

Built by IMS Associates, Inc. of San Leandro, California, the IMSAI 8080 is one of the first consumer computers available.

MSAI 8080

I never worked on one of these babies–still a bit before my time. Some of my first computer memories are of the Apple II’s my school used. I spent many hours making a the Turtule move around the screen by entering mathematical equations using the Logo programming language.

Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 public released

by Bill Detwiler ·

Microsoft has just released the 2007 Microsoft Office system
      Beta 2 to the general public. This is the first chance the general public has
      had to test and evaluate the next version of Microsoft Office. According to
      Microsoft the Beta 2 release ?contains all the functionality of the regular
      release, but is not the final product?.

To get the public Beta 2 release, visit the following page
      on Microsoft?s site:
      http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/getthebeta.mspx

You can download Beta 2 or request a DVD be sent to you
      through the mail. Once you select your delivery method, you?ll be asked to
      enter you Windows Live ID and password. If you have a Hotmail address, MSN
      e-mail address, or Microsoft Passport, you already have a Windows Live ID and
      can enter one of these here.

Next, you?ll be asked to complete a brief, but annoying, online
      survey about yourself and your company. Once you finally get past the survey,
      you be asked to choose the 2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2 applications you
      want to download. You can choose from the following:

• Microsoft
        Office Professional Plus 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Groove 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office SharePoint Designer 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office OneNote 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager
      • Microsoft
        Office Project 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Visio 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Groove Server 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office SharePoint Server 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Project Server 2007
      • Microsoft
        Windows SharePoint Services

Once you make your selection(s), Microsoft?s Web site will give
      you product keys for your chosen products (print this page) and then prompt you
      to download and install SmartSource for Microsoft Office, which will manage the
      download process. After several ?Server busy? errors and countless page refreshes,
      I was finally able to download and install SmartSource.

Unfortunately, my quest for the Office 2007 Beta 2 abruptly
      ground to a halt. I started the SmartSource manager and was prompted for my
      e-mail address. I entered the same e-mail address I used when requesting the Beta
      2 download and after several agonizing minutes, SmartSource presented the
      following error message:

?ERROR!
      Unable to obtain the user profile for the given user?

I tried repeatedly to enter a valid e-mail address, but to
      no avail. I also tried to find a customer support contact, but unfortunately the
      SmartSource help FAQ on Microsoft?s Web site said the following:

?Customer support representatives from License Technologies
      Group, Inc can be reached to answer any SmartSource related question using the
      information specified on the About Section of SmartSource. (Select help in the
      upper left hand corner, then about from the list of options)?

I guess they never planned failure with someone logon as
      there is no ?About Section? on the SmartSource Login page.

As of this posting, I?m still trying to get me hands on the Office
      2007 Beta 2. It?s possible that the SmartSource system is just being
      overwhelmed and the problem will disappear once the traffic dies down. I just
      hope Office 2007 works better than the download process.

I?ll post an update as soon as I have the application
      installed. If anyone else has experienced this same problem or successfully downloaded
      Beta 2 using Microsoft?s site, please let me know.

Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 public release

by Bill Detwiler ·

Microsoft has just released the 2007 Microsoft Office system
      Beta 2 to the general public. This is the first chance the general public has
      had to test and evaluate the next version of Microsoft Office. According to
      Microsoft the Beta 2 release ?contains all the functionality of the regular
      release, but is not the final product?.

To get the public Beta 2 release, visit the following page
      on Microsoft?s site:
      http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/getthebeta.mspx

You can download Beta 2 or request a DVD be sent to you
      through the mail. Once you select your delivery method, you?ll be asked to
      enter you Windows Live ID and password. If you have a Hotmail address, MSN
      e-mail address, or Microsoft Passport, you already have a Windows Live ID and
      can enter one of these here.

Next, you?ll be asked to complete a brief, but annoying, online
      survey about yourself and your company. Once you finally get past the survey,
      you be asked to choose the 2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2 applications you
      want to download. You can choose from the following:

• Microsoft
        Office Professional Plus 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Groove 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office SharePoint Designer 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office OneNote 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager
      • Microsoft
        Office Project 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Visio 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Groove Server 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office SharePoint Server 2007
      • Microsoft
        Office Project Server 2007
      • Microsoft
        Windows SharePoint Services

Once you make your selection(s), Microsoft?s Web site will give
      you product keys for your chosen products (print this page) and then prompt you
      to download and install SmartSource for Microsoft Office, which will manage the
      download process. After several ?Server busy? errors and countless page refreshes,
      I was finally able to download and install SmartSource.

Unfortunately, my quest for the Office 2007 Beta 2 abruptly
      ground to a halt. I started the SmartSource manager and was prompted for my
      e-mail address. I entered the same e-mail address I used when requesting the Beta
      2 download and after several agonizing minutes, SmartSource presented the
      following error message:

?ERROR!
      Unable to obtain the user profile for the given user?

I tried repeatedly to enter a valid e-mail address, but to
      no avail. I also tried to find a customer support contact, but unfortunately the
      SmartSource help FAQ on Microsoft?s Web site said the following:

?Customer support representatives from License Technologies
      Group, Inc can be reached to answer any SmartSource related question using the
      information specified on the About Section of SmartSource. (Select help in the
      upper left hand corner, then about from the list of options)?

I guess they never planned failure with someone logon as
      there is no ?About Section? on the SmartSource Login page.

As of this posting, I?m still trying to get me hands on the Office
      2007 Beta 2. It?s possible that the SmartSource system is just being
      overwhelmed and the problem will disappear once the traffic dies down. I just
      hope Office 2007 works better than the download process.

I?ll post an update as soon as I have the application
      installed. If anyone else has experienced this same problem or successfully downloaded
      Beta 2 using Microsoft?s site, please let me know.

Office 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots

by Bill Detwiler ·

On May 23, 2006, Microsoft released the 2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2 to the general public. This is the first chance the general public has had to test and evaluate the next version of Microsoft Office. According to Microsoft the Beta 2 release “contains all the functionality of the regular release, but is not the final product”. Regardless, this is the first time many have seen Microsoft’s revamped productivity suite.
      We’ve posted a series of very-detailed galleries on Office 2007 Beta 2. The first gallery, Office 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots, is a compilation of select images from the other galleries, which focus on individual programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook).

Office 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076938.html

Office 2007 Beta 2 Installation Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076750.html

Office 2007 Diagnostics creenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076817.html

Word 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076763.html

Excel 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076415.html

PowerPoint 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076836.html

Access 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076317.html

Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Screenshots
      http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877-6076361.html

Take the pain out of IT compliance

by Bill Detwiler ·

Complying with government regulations, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act
      (SOX) and Health Insurance Portability and the Accountability Act
      (HIPAA), has been a daunting task for IT departments, soaking up huge
      amounts of time and resources.

I recorded a great podcast with IT
      consultant Jeff Davis on this subject. During the 16-minute podcast, he and I examine how IT departments are coping with
      this monumental task and discuss ways to lessen the pain. Jeff shares
      his real-world experience helping companies meet their compliance
      requirements and we explore a new compliance-focused IT role?IS
      Compliance Analyst.

You can listen to the podcast online or download the MP3 file from our Rootcast page:
      http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/rootcast/?p=14

Tech Ed 2006

by Bill Detwiler ·

Microsoft?s Tech Ed 2006 gets underway this Sunday, June 11,
      2006, at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC) in Boston, MA. I?ll
      be among the thousands of IT professionals, vendors, and media personnel
      attending the conference. With the recent public release betas for Office 2007,
      Windows Vista, and Windows Longhorn Server, I?m expecting this year?s Ted Ed to
      be a particularly informative event.

As I attend the keynote, briefing sessions, labs, and roam
      the exhibit hall, I?ll be filing daily blog reports, photo galleries, and
      possibly a few podcasts, on my experiences, observations, and any breaking
      technology news. If you there are particular technologies, events or vendors
      you would like me to write about, please make a request via my blog. 

Here?s a brief rundown on my conference schedule so far: 

Sunday

• Travel to Boston and check in to the Omni Parker House
        hotel?I assume this is where all press are staying as it was the only hotel
        option available when I registered
      • Check in at Tech Ed registration at the BCEC
      • Attend the press reception at 5:30
      • Attend the keynote at 7:00 – Join Ray Ozzie, Microsoft Chief
        Technology Officer, Bob Muglia, MS Senior VP, Server & Tools Business, and
        Chris Capossela, Corporate VP, IW PMG, will be sharing their vision for IT.

I don?t really understand the logic behind a Sunday keynote.
      I assume Microsoft wanted to give attendees more time to attend the
      presentations, labs, briefings, and exhibit hall, but a 2-hour keynote after
      traveling all day is not something I look forward to. It also seems strange
      that Microsoft won?t have a major release announcement to make during the show.
      Having already released the public betas for Office 2007, Windows Vista and
      Windows Longhorn Server at WinHec in May. Perhaps Ozzie still has a surprise up
      his sleeve. I can only wait and see.

Monday

• OFC201 – The 2007 Microsoft Office System: Clients –
        Overview and What’s New

I?ve been working with the Office 2007 Beta 2 for about two
      weeks and it shows a lot of promise, but I want to hear Microsoft explain why
      organizations and consumers should switch. As it stands now, I don?t think
      there is a compelling reason to deploy Office 2007 immediately after release.
      The changes to the GUI and new XML document format are significant changes that
      IT departments will have to prepare for.

• CLI304 – Deploying Windows Vista: Everything You Need in One
        Hour

Windows Vista is substantial shift from previous Windows
      versions and deployment will be a significant undertaking for IT departments.
      This sessions promises to tell me everything I need to know about Vista
      deployment in 1 hour?we?ll see.

Tuesday

• MGTTLC01 – Overview of Systems Management Server (version 4)

Having used SMS to monitor and manage a large IT network, I
      know it?s power and am very interested in seeing what version 4 will offer.

• OFC311 – Introducing New Tools for Migrating to the 2007
        Microsoft Office System: Document Analysis and Migration

Office 2007 will support existing Office documents, but the
      new XML file structure offers several advantages to the current format–smaller
      file size, easy of corruption recovery, better integration with external
      sources. As organizations deploy Office 2007 these will need to consider
      document migration and compatibility.

Wednesday

• SVR219 – Ten Reasons to Prepare for Windows Server Code
        Named “Longhorn”

With Windows Server Longhorn in public beta, is now the time
      to prepare? We?ll have to wait and see.

• SEC406 – Is That Application Really Safe?

Are your third party, or even internal, applications safe?
      During this presentation, Jesper Johansson, who I?ve interviewed for
      TechRepublic, shares some red flags that IT organizations should look out for
      when testing application security.

• CLI314 – Image Engineering: Creating Your Perfect Windows
        Vista Desktop

I know very IT shops that don?t image their machines. But, building
      an efficient, reliable image can be a challenge. I?m interested to know if
      Windows Vista will simplify or complicate the process.

Along with the sessions mentioned here, I?ll also be roaming
      the exhibit hall, meeting with vendors, publishers, industry experts, speakers,
      and attending IT pros. Again, if you have a particular technology, vendor, or
      topic you would like to see me cover, please post a comment to this blog. I can?t
      promise that I can meet everyone?s request but I will try. And if you?re
      attending Tech Ed 2006, don?t hesitate to look me up. I?d love to hear the
      experiences and impressions of TechRepublic members.

See you at Tech Ed 2006!

Ozzie touts services at Tech Ed 2006

by Bill Detwiler ·

Click here for photos from the Tech Ed 2006 Keynote.

During the Tech Ed 2006 keynote, Ray Ozzie, Microsoft Chief
      Technology Officer, outlined Microsoft?s vision for IT?services. Ozzie walked
      keynote attendees through the major ?technology disruptions? of the past 20
      years. These ?disruptions?, or significant changes, include the development of
      the 32-bit processor and PC revolution, the client/server revolution, and the
      evolution of the Web. According to Ozzie, the next major technology change will
      be the ?services disruption?.

Ozzie said Microsoft is taking a ?pragmatic approach? to
      this coming disruption by seeking to provide organizations ?architectural
      flexibility?. Microsoft will offer a seamless client-server-service approach?where
      services compliment, not replace, existing applications by offering integrated
      connections to the Web. Ozzie termed this new connection ?Client-server-service
      synergy?.

After Bob Muglia, Microsoft Senior VP, Server & Tools
      Business, Chris Capossela, Microsoft Corporate VP, IW PMG, and a host of other
      Microsoft personnel then walked through an hour and 30 minutes worth of slides and demonstrations showcasing everything from Windows Compute Cluster Server to Windows Vista and Office 2007.

Tech Ed 2006: Goodie Bag falls short of expectations

by Bill Detwiler ·

Click here for a detailed photo of the Tech Ed 2006 goodie bag and its contents.

I always enjoy digging through the Tech Ed attendee bag. Microsoft usually packs the bag with some useful software. This year however, I was rather disappointed. Besides the usual marketing slicks, promotional CDs and DVDs, and magazines, the bag contained the following software:

• Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (Beta 2) Technical Resource DVD – This DVD doesn’t actually contain SharePoint, just marketing material and a link to Microsoft’s Web site to download the software.
      • Microsoft Windows 64-bit Resource DVD – Again, this DVD contains only promotion material, not the actual software.
      • Windows Server Longhorn Beta 2 – Nice, but this was released last month
      • Windows Vista Beta 2 – Released last month
      • Microsoft Office System Beta 2 – Released last month
      • Visual Studio 2005 Professional 90-Day Trial Edition

Tech Ed 2006: Expo Hall Reception

by Bill Detwiler ·

On Monday, Microsoft hosted a reception for Tech Ed 2006 attendees in the Expo Hall. In this gallery, I’ll walk you through the event.

Tech ed 2006 expo reception

Tech Ed 2006: Show Floor

by Bill Detwiler ·

Over 10,000 IT professionals, descended on Boston for a week of presentations, seminars, training sessions, hands on labs, and social networking opportunities. Microsoft Tech Ed 2006 is a showcase for the latest technologies from Microsoft, its partners, and even competitors. In this gallery, I’ll take you down to the show floor.

Tech ed 2006 expo floor

Tech Ed 2006: Show Floor

by jturner1 ·

In reply to Tech Ed 2006: Show Floor

Thanks Bill,

I didn’t get the chance to go to TechEd 2006 at least i get to see what i missed, alas no free swag for me, maybe next year.

jerritt

Tech Ed 2006: Windows Vista Hands-on Labs – slow and buggy

by Bill Detwiler ·

While attending Microsoft Tech Ed 2006 last week, I worked through several Hands-on Labs at Tech Ed 2006. Located in each of the exhibition hall’s Technical Learning Centers, the Hands-on Labs
      gave Tech Ed 2006 attendees a chance to play with a variety of
      Microsoft products. I decided to try the Windows Vista labs.

Tech ed 2006: windows vista hands-on lab

You can see more photos of my Hands-on Lab experience in this gallery:
      http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-0.html?galleryId=1134

Each lab station had a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and lab
      manual. The labs appeared to run on Microsoft Virtual PC and used a custom GUI
      interface developed by HynesITe, Inc. Unfortunately, my lab experience was less
      than perfect. Before I started the first exercise, a lab worker approached me
      and suggested that once the lab started I turn off Windows Vista’s Search
      feature. Apparently the new Windows Search feature doesn’t play nicely with
      Microsoft Virtual PC. Instead of indexing the virtual machine’s C: drive,
      Windows Search tries to index the machine’s real C: drive. This made the labs
      run extremely slow, to the point they were unusable.

I started the first lab and walked through the process
      shutting down Windows Search. This took approximately 10 minutes. Once the
      lab started I also had trouble accessing the virtual machines. What appeared on
      my screen didn’t perfectly match the lab manual and it took me several minutes
      to make sure I was logged on to the appropriate machine with the correct
      account. After at least 15 minutes of frustration, I was finally ready to work
      through the lab.

I chose a lab designed to showcase Vista’s new management
      features and walked through the lab?s step-by-step instructions, which were easy
      to follow. Despite having disabled Windows Search, the machine still ran much slower
      than I expected. When I asked the person sitting next to me if their machine
      was running slow, he told me it wasn?t. I?m not sure if my sluggish machine was
      an isolated issue or not, but it made the lab extremely tedious. If the speed
      wasn?t enough to deal with, I also received a few error messages while working
      with the Windows Vista MMC. After three labs, I gave up and head on to my next
      Breakout Session.

Other attendees have told me that they love the Hands-on
      Labs and didn?t have any problems. My problems may have been isolated events. Yet,
      with so much to see and do at Tech Ed, I didn?t have time to wait for the labs
      and was disappointed I couldn?t try more of them.

Tech Ed 2006: Windows Vista Hands-on Labs – slow and buggy

by steven warren ·

In reply to Tech Ed 2006: Windows Vista Hands-on Labs – slow and buggy

I have to disagree with you here. I thought they were plenty fast for what they were. Virtual Server and Virtual PC is still using emulation. With that being said, it will be some what slower but the labs were really helpful for me. It was great meeting you at Teched.

SnagIt 8: Powerful yet user-friendly screen capture utility

by Bill Detwiler ·

The Job

As an online writer and editor, I?m constantly capturing screenshots for the stories, blogs, downloads, and galleries I publish. But as a knowledge worker, I also use screen captures internally?to illustrate a computer or site problem for CNET?s IT department, to create useful process documentation for TechRepublic?s editorial team, to enhance the visual appeal of my training presentations. It?s true that a picture can be worth a 1,000 words, and a tool that can save you from having to write those 1,000 words has great value.

The Tool

Over the years, I?ve used a variety of tools and techniques for capturing computer screen output, but TechSmith’s SnagIt has been the most useful and versatile.

SnagIt 8 will capture just about anything your computer screen can display. The application?s many capture modes allow you to capture the entire screen, a specific rectangular region of the screen, an individual window, a menu or cascading menus from Windows applications, short, AVI videos of desktop activity, text, Web page elements, an application?s printer output, and more. SnagIt 8 also comes with a powerful editor with which you can easily manipulate and enhance your captured material and an image browser, which let?s you view images and perform batch processes, like resizing and renaming. When your ready to share or store a SnagIt 8 capture, you can send the item to the a printer, save it to the Windows Clipboard, save it as a file (23 formats), send to and external program, and more. You can find a complete list of SnagIt features here.

Before sharing or storing captured images, you?ll likely want to edit or enhance them. Using the SnagIt Editor, you can quickly and easily add text, arrows, highlighting, callouts, and a host of other informative elements. This is perhaps the functionality I find most helpful and the biggest time saver. As I said earlier, a screen capture can save you from having to write the 1,000 words a picture is often worth, but only if the image effectively conveys the intended meaning. SnagIt 8?s editor let?s you add that meaning.

For example, TechRepublic recently deployed a new, and greatly improved I think, gallery page–you can see an example here. I have suggested that our developers expand and contract the image description text to fill the column to the right of the image. I used the image you see below to illustrate my suggestion.

SnagIt 8

I captured just the screen region which I wanted the added a double-ended arrow and text to clearly illustrate my idea?this image has been resized to fit the blog column. The image leaves little room for misinterpretation. As of this posting, they?re still working on my suggestion. The SnagIt Editor also allows you add interesting effects such Torn Edges, Spotlight and Magnify, watermarks, and so forth.

You can see more of SnagIt 8 in this screenshot gallery?taken with SnagIt 8.

Right tool for the job?

Definitely. If you don?t believe me, download a fully-functional, 30-day free trial and give SnagIt 8 a test drive. If you decided SnagIt is the right tool for you and your organization, you can purchase SnagIt directly from TechSmith or from one of a reseller. A single-user license will set you back $39.95. Buying a 5-user license for $149.75 will save you 25 percent off the full price, at $199.50 a 10-user license saves
      you 50 percent and a 25-user license saves you 60 percent at $395.00.

Write your own review

If you’ve found the perfect tool for the job, we want to hear about it. Send us an e-mail describing the product and the job you’re using it for. If we feature the product in The Right Tool for the Job? blog, you’ll earn a little cash and be featured across the TechRepublic Web site and in our newsletters.

by it cowgirl ·

In reply to SnagIt 8: Powerful yet user-friendly screen capture utility

I could never understand why anyone would want to purchase another program, when you can use screen shots, which is what I have always used. Now I can see the value in this program.

Thanks for review!

by skyemacm ·

In reply to SnagIt 8: Powerful yet user-friendly screen capture utility

I have been using SnagIt for years.  This tool is far better then Windows screen shot function.  I can outline just the area I want to capture eliminating the unwanted.  This function alone of SnagIt has been fantastic for creating software training programs.  It is a great little tool.  I must admit I have not upgraded to version 8 yet, but will be shortly.

Microsoft Private Folder could mean headaches for IT pros and end-users

by Bill Detwiler ·

Microsoft?s Private Folder 1.0 lets users store files in an
      encrypted, password-protected folder.

“Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 is a useful tool for you
      to protect your private data when your friends, colleagues, kids or other
      people share your PC or account. With this tool, you will get one password
      protected folder called ‘My Private Folder’ in your account to save your
      personal files,” Microsoft said on its Web site.

To use Private Folder 1.0, users must be running Windows
      XP Home Edition, Professional Edition or Media Center Edition with SP2. Users
      must also run their machines through Microsoft?s antipiracy system the Windows
      Genuine Advantage program (WGA).

But is such an easily installed, unrecoverable,
      password-protect folder a benefit or hazard? As an former college professor of
      mine said, “it depends”.

Private Folder 1.0 isn?t Microsoft?s first encryption offering.
      Windows
      Encrypting File System (EFS)
      gives Windows 2000 and Windows XP users the
      ability to secure folders on NTFS volumes. This can be a handy tool for the
      advanced Windows user, but the average user can have trouble configuring and
      effectively using EFS. Third-party encryption applications are also available,
      but uses may not know how to find them or still have difficultly configuring
      them. For novice users, Private Folder 1.0 seems like a good option?until
      he/she forgets the password.

Microsoft private folder 1.0

My first problem with Private Folder 1.0 is its lack of a
      recovery mechanism. Unlike EFS? Encrypted Recovery
      Agent (ERA), Microsoft Private Folder provides no mechanism to retrieve
      encrypted data if the password is lost or forgotten.

My second problem is more a policy concern. Organizational
      users shouldn?t be encrypting corporate or institutional data without express
      permission. And they shouldn?t use a method with no recovery mechanism?see my
      first problem. What happens with the user leaves the organization and forgets
      to share their password or forgets their password and has placed critical files
      in the private folder?

For a more complete description and detailed look at Private
      Folder 1.0, check out this
      comprehensive screenshot gallery
      . It has over 30 images that show the
      installation process, Private Folder in action, and what happens with you
      uninstall the application.

Overall, I like the idea of Microsoft Private Folder 1.0,
      but think the implementation needs work. Microsoft would go along way toward easing
      my, and I believe many other IT pros, concerns by adding recovery and/or
      administration mechanisms.

by milal9 ·

In reply to Microsoft Private Folder could mean headaches for IT pros and end-users

Microsoft’s Private Folder seems to have the basic foundation for software that protects sensitive files. However, significant flaws do exist. As it was already mentioned, the inability to recover files if a password has been lost or forgotten is a serious concern. A file protection application should also have the capability to disable access to protected files from a remote computer, giving the owner of the files complete control over the protected information. Such a function would make this type of software useful not only to desktop users, but to mobile employees and individuals that deal with laptops as well… Recall the laptop theft epidemic in recent months? http://www.essentialsecurity.com/FAQ.htm#3.8.9

by rscheits ·

In reply to Microsoft Private Folder could mean headaches for IT pros and end-users

I see you point, but if I am encrypting data
        that is confidential to me then I do not want any other way of access the data
        except for providing the correct key. 
        All those password recovery methods I feel lead to backdoors, and abuse
        possibly.  If you are the only one who
        can decrypt the data with your key, then I feel it is safe, even if Microsoft’s
        server itself was hacked your data is still encrypted, or if Microsoft
        themselves could not have any prying eyes over your data.  If you want password recovery, devise a plan
        outside the scope of Microsoft’s Private Folder 1.0 application.

by carlsondale ·

Seems strange to me if you really want strong passwords not to allow special characters.

In an enterprise environment, I wouldn’t mind the use of Private Folder if Microsoft adds a Group Policy object to enable/disable the use of it, and if they fixed it so it would allow access through Active Directory authentication.

by yanipen ·

I would like to point out a few items.Private forlders are excellent for home use. But, all folders like these must be accessible only to an administrator account. One administrator account, not administrator(s). So that you have the contingency effort for repair, in any event that a mayhem may occur.

Whereas for office use, this is not recommendable, and hence not applicable. There is this policy that states “No expectation of privacy”. The reason for this is that anything and everything is duly owned by the company.

If they are going to push this. There must be a facility to turn it off.

by pazmanpro ·

This is an okay starting effort from Microsoft, but still needs a long way to go. No passwords with special characters and no recovery mechanisms… I can’t trust this with an ordinary user, but for a user with good knowledge and an impecable memory can use it.

PGP desktop has a better offering for securing folders, but at a cost. For free, truecrypt does very well as well, plus recovery mechanisms and strong passwords, although not in the form of a folder, it is very much worth looking at.

by mypl8s4u2 ·

Not to worry, someone out there will find a crack for it and post it.

by ayanchak ·

It seems like the core issue could be easily addressed by giving the admin account the ability to reset the password. In this way, the data could be unlocked if the user forgot his/her password but would not allow the admin to easily ‘spy’ on the contents of a private folder without leaving tracks.

by gis bun ·

Was it just me or I thought Microsoft pulled this off the web site (probably because of the headaches it could cause).

Download all links/images on a Web page with DownThemAll

by Bill Detwiler ·

The Job

I can’t remember how many times I saved an image from a Web page. I’m sure you know the drill. Mouse over the image, right-click, click Save Image As or Save Picture As (depending on your browse), choose and appropriate file location, and click Save. It’s a fairly simple process that takes less than 10 seconds. Now, image you have to repeat the process 10, 20, 50 times. Factor in the repetitive mouse movements, Web page scrolling, and the potential to download the same image twice or mistakenly skip images, and you have a real head- (and hand) ache. I’d been looking for solution for several years, when I finally found soon after I started using Mozilla Firefox.

The Tool

Created by Federico Parodi and Stefano Verna, DownThemAll (or dTa as it is also known) is a Firefox extension that lets you download the links or images contained on a Web page. You can download all links and images, manually choose individual or multiple items, or select links and images through a variety of preset and customizable filters. DownThemAll also contains a download manager and download accelerator that the creators claim “increases speed up to 400%”.

DownThemAll

To use DownThemAll, simply open a Web page in Firefox, click Tools from the toolbar, select DownThemAll from the Tools dropdown menu, and choose either DownThemAll!, dTaOneClick!, or dTa! Manager. I usually open the DownThemAll! main window seen in the image above. Once dTa starts, it automatically analyzes the open Web page and creates a list of links, images, and embedded objects. Rarely do I want to download all images on a Web page-most contain header, button images, clear gif tracking images, and the like.

From the main window, I can quickly select the images or links I want to download, specify the target location, customize the downloaded file’s name, and start the process. The program’s intuitive UI and well configured default settings allow me to make all these choices with only a few mouse clicks. Once download process starts, the dTa! Manager opens and tracks the download progress of each file. You can pause and restart the download process, reorder individual downloads, or cancel the retrieval of some or all files. Once the download process finishes, DownThemAll alerts you with sound and popup. You can then browse to your newly-downloaded files and use them as you please. dTaOneClick! downloads all the links and images of the current Web page using the filters, target location, and file rename settings of the last DownThemAll session.

You can see more of DownThemAll in this screenshot gallery.

Right Tool for the Job?

DownThemAll is one of the best Firefox extensions that I’ve used. And judging from its placement on the list of Top 10 Firefox extensions, I’d say many others agree. DownThemAll is easy to install, use, and works as described. Better yet, it’s free. My only suggestion for the next version of DownThemAll is a way to download the root image from an image gallery. Many photo sharing sites, such as Webshots and Flickr, even TechRepublic’s own Galleries, link thumbnails to larger images. I personally think this design is a great UI experience for browsing a gallery. Unfortunately, the layout also makes downloading the gallery’s individual images difficult. I’ll be sure to let you know if I find another tool that accomplishes this task or DownThemAll adds this feature.

Write your own review

by j sheesley ·

In reply to Download all links/images on a Web page with DownThemAll

Linux has a nice thing like that included in KDE called KGet. It’s a
        program that works with Konqueror to do much the same thing. Makes it
        easier to download RPM packages and updates from sites that are nothing
        but a set of links.

by red_wolf9 ·

Bill, you said “My only suggestion for the next version of
        DownThemAll is a way to download the root image from an image gallery.
        Many photo sharing sites, such as Webshots and Flickr, even TechRepublic’s own Galleries, link thumbnails to larger images”

Try clicking on the links tab at the top of the dTa window and selecting an image extention, I think that’s what your missing.

by lrmartin ·

Is there anything like that for internet explorer?

by jimtheengineer ·

This might be “Download for Dummies” time, but it isn’t obvious how to get dTa. (I’m using Firefox 1.5.0.6 on Windows 2000 Pro v5.0 sp4) The link https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/ has a link “Install now” that displays “Install for ALL 0.9.9.6.3 (Right-click to download)” – I right-click and save in the Firefox directory under “Program Files” in the “Extensions” subdirectory. Now what? Is there a next step that I should take? Restarting Firefox and clicking on Tools doesn’t display dTa. Trying Tools | Extensions also doesn’t show dTa.

If I left-click on the “Install now” link, Firefox displays a line that says, “Software installation is currently disabled. Click Edit Options… to enable it and try again. When I click on that, there isn’t anything I can see about enabling software installation.

The help screens for Firefox don’t seem to address this, except to say that, as long as Javascript is enabled (it is), the download will happen automatically.

Any suggestions?

by bobinvegas9 ·

I, too, am curious about this program; so I went to Firefox?s web site, clicked on the add-ons link, and browsed through numerous pages until I found it. This is what I?ve got, so far. The following URL is the page on which I found the reference to dTa:

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?app=firefox&appfilter=firefox&sort=newest&perpage=10&left=100

You should probably copy the above link and paste it into your browser. It should take you to the review of dTa and provide the following information:

“DownThemAll is absolutely freeware and open-source. No Adware, no Spyware.”

For more information,

http://www.downthemall.net/

Or, I suppose you could skip all of that and just go straight to downthemall’s web site.

I hope that helps. I haven?t gone any further, yet, to see what sort of barriers I?ll have to cross in order to download it and install it; but What-the-heck!

by Bill Detwiler ·

Red_wolf,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’m afraid selecting an image extension from the Links tab won’t download a gallery’s root images from its thumbnails on many sites–Flickr, TechRepublic, and Webshots included. The problem occurs because gallery thumbnails often link to an HTML page instead of an actual image. As far as I know, DownThemAll can’t navigate to a secondary Web page and then pull specific images from that page.

by jimtheengineer ·

To bobinvegas – thank you for the suggestions, but I did find all of those sites for the program before I added my comment. I still don’t know why Firefox is disabling “software installations” or where to enable installations, or even where to look in their help files for any information on that. When Firefox works right, it is great, but…

Anyone else care to comment?

Thanks!

by peon ·

Good afternoon,

I am trying to see the point of this tool. When I use ‘Save As’ in IE 6 or “Save page with images’ in Opera 6 and I usually get the page with all images together with .js, .css and who-knows-what that makes up the page. Higher versions should do the same.

I only use the ‘right-mouse-click’ if I want only an indiviual picture. To get more or all of a site I use Winhttrack, which unfortunately will not work right on those gallery sites since it tends to download a lot of garbage through all the links present on the page, not just the images. There I have to resort to the time-consuming ‘one-pic-at-a-time’ routine.

Greetings,

Peon

Viewing 61 reply threads