• Creator
    Topic

blog blog blog

by josh.hoskins ·

blog root

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Well, guess it’s time I get this thing started.

by josh.hoskins ·

In reply to blog blog blog

Well, guess it’s time I get this thing started.

Woot!! First Post

by josh.hoskins ·

I win!!!!

Network Eagle Good Monitoring Great Price

by josh.hoskins ·

Several years ago, my
      company was beginning to rapidly expand our customer base, and the need for
      server monitoring became readily apparent. While a simple ping checker had
      sufficed till that point, more and more we were seeing need for a multitude of
      checks. We needed information on things such as NT Services, applications, and disk
      space. While the need was apparent, the
      budget was lacking. There are many network monitoring suits out there, but most
      of them were greatly cost prohibitive. Reviewing these products was not even an
      option as the cost was much more than my budget could bear.

The Job

I had begun investigating
      open source solutions, but the fact that many of them required a *nix install
      was prohibitive, as a box dedicated to this was out of the question. Also, our
      support staff is almost entirely Windows centric so the support of another O.S.
      could become a support nightmare.

The Tool

Then one day I came across
      Network Eagle (http://network-eagle.com/).
      While I was initially skeptical, this did prove to be the tool I?d been looking
      for.

A quick run down of it?s
      features include:

• Ping Check
      • FTP Site Check
      • HTTP Site Check
      • Database Checks
      • Application/Process Check
      • Disk Space Checks
      • Event Log Checks
      • NT Service Checks
      • Custom Scripts and External Commands Checks

Putting Network Eagle to the test

Click here (http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-1035-6038660.html)
      to see our gallery of Network Eagle screenshots.

Network Eagle comes as a
      small (less than 4MB) install executable. You are given a free 30-day trial, so I
      downloaded and installed it. The installation was simplicity itself, just click
      the executable and follow the prompts. The slowest part is configuring all of
      your checks after the application is installed. You must configure each check
      manually, though you have the ability to copy checks and then modify them,
      which greatly reduces the amount of time to set up. The bar on the left side of
      the screen allows you to pick what type of check you want to create. Once in
      the check creation screen you have several tabs on the left that guide you
      through setting up the check. From within this screen you set the system the
      check runs on, needed security credentials to run the check, the type of alerts
      you want this alert to send, and the schedule the check runs on. Most of the
      tabs are identical between checks, with only the Settings tab being check dependant.

Two things from this system
      really stood out to me. One is that all of the checks from the system run
      agentless. That is to say there is no software installed on the target systems.
      For environments that love to run there systems as textbook as possible this is
      great. The other thing that impressed me was the number of different types of
      alerts available. You have the standards of sending an e-mail, logging to
      syslog or event viewer, or executing a command, along with restarting a
      computer, changing a NT service status, playing a sound alert, or even connecting
      to a MS SQL instance and running SQL commands.

Right tool for the job?

I have had Network Eagle
      deployed in production for nearly 3 years now, and it has stood up more than
      admirably. On many occasions the database alerts have allowed us to proactively
      prevent issues before users were impacted, and the process monitoring has let
      our order entry applications run without the need for constant user checking. This
      has been a great product for us. We now actually have two instances of it
      deployed, one on our internal network and one on our external. This has been a
      great application for us, and definitely the right tool for the job.

Write your own review

If you’ve found the perfect tool for the job, we want to hear about it. Send us an e-mail describing the product and the job you’re using it for. If we feature the product in The Right Tool for the Job? blog, you’ll earn a little cash and be featured across the TechRepublic Web site and in our newsletters.

by lizny ·

In reply to Network Eagle Good Monitoring Great Price

Network Eagle is not the only agentless tool out there. We use adrem NetCrunch to monitor our IP network (approx 450 nodes). Just one license is enough (no additional per node charges), as it is licensed per monitoring workstation. Netcrunch’s network maps stand out among others, and it is quite versatile with notification methods in case of problems. I like the fact that you can monitor over 60 network services and I even defined my own ones to be monitored. Sometimes I log in from home via web browser to check some info, which is a big help  – a travel a lot anyway… I got my 30-day trial version at Interop last year, but I think they also have it on their website http://www.adremsoft.com 

by lizny ·

Network Eagle is not the only agentless tool out there. We use Netcrunch to monitor our IP network (approx 450 nodes). Just one license is enough (no additional per node charges), as it is licensed per monitoring workstation. Netcrunch’s network maps stand out among others, and it is quite versatile with notification methods in case of problems. I like the fact that you can monitor over 60 network services and I even defined my own ones to be monitored. Sometimes I log in from home via web browser to check some info, which is a big help  – a travel a lot anyway… I got my 30-day trial version at Interop last year, but I think they also have it on their website http://www.adremsoft.com 

by josh.hoskins ·

Net Crunch looks very nice, but again one of the main reasons I choose Network Eagle was the price.  The Value Edition of Net Crunch is 10X the cost of Network Eagle.

by Bill Detwiler ·

LizNY,

Netcrunch sounds like an interesting tool. Let me know if you’re interested in writing a review of Netcrunch for The Right Tool for the Job? feature. You can send me a private message using my profile link below.

by mvpatrick ·

I use IPSentry to monitor systems via IP. And it allows checking of services, disk space, etc. And notification features like email, paging, etc. All for $99. And there are many add-ons available too. Really a great product.

http://www.ipsentry.net/

I just wanted to mention another great monitoring tool.

Sending Mail through SQL without SQL Mail

by josh.hoskins ·

The Job

When the decision was made at my company to move our primary
      MS SQL environment to a fault tolerant cluster, we came across one thing that
      was missing; SQL Mail was not supported on SQL clusters. With this began the search for a
      replacement. We began looking at many
      different products to fill this need. We
      had determined that we needed a product that could be called and used easily
      from code, that could have dynamically written syntax, was affordable, and we
      could have support on.

The Tool

After much testing and dismissing we came across
      XP_SMTPSendMail80 from Thorpe Software. We downloaded the free trial version, and
      began testing in our development environment.

The installation of this software was very easy. You download a dll, and then place the dll
      anywhere on your SQL Server. At this
      point you create an extended stored procedure from their DLL. Once this is completed you are ready to begin
      using the procedure.

Putting XP_SMTPSendMail80 to the test

Being a stored procedure you have a great deal of freedom in
      not just calling it, but in embedding it within pre-existing code and
      jobs. Our developers and I were
      instantly wowed with not just the features available, but their ease of use. Here is a link to screenshots of some syntax examples. Some of the features are:

• Send multiple attachments using wildcards.
      • Use any SMTP server
      • Able to provide
        authentication to SMTP Server
      • Sends mail to non-standard SMTP ports.
      • Small (73k) and fast dll.
      • Uses Windows sockets, so requires no
        additional components on the server and can be used from any version of
        Windows.
      • Execute queries and send results as
        attachments, or in the body of the message.
      • Format result sets as HTML tables in the
        body of the mail.
      • Send the results from multiple queries
        from a local or a remote server.
      • Send mail to multiple recipients in one
        call with cc or bcc.

The learning curve for this product was very mild, as
      everything from sending attachments to formatting html emails only took minor
      adjustments from the standard calling of the Extended Stored Procedure. Adding it to scheduled job was as easy as
      adding a step, and using the programs very simple syntax to send an email for
      job success or failure.

Right tool for the job?

XP_SmtpSendmail80 has been our enterprise wide standard for
      SQL e-mails for over 4 years now, and everyone from the developers to myself
      are still in love with this little tool that could. We are constantly finding new ways to use
      that we hadn?t thought of before. Every
      time a new idea has been thrown around, XP_SmtpSendmail80 has always been up to
      the challenge. On the few occasions we
      have needed it, the support from Thorpe
      Software
      has been top notch. With
      new versions and bug fixes being released on a regular basis this appears to be
      one tool that is able to stand the test of time.

Write your own review

If you’ve found the perfect tool for the job, we want to hear about it. Send us an e-mail describing the product and the job you’re using it for. If we feature the product in The Right Tool for the Job? blog, you’ll earn a little cash and be featured across the TechRepublic Web site and in our newsletters.

GFI MailSecurity provides strong e-mail anti-virus for the right price

by josh.hoskins ·

When it was time to migrate our production Exchange environment to a fault tolerant cluster, one issue that became apparent was that our current anti-virus product was not compatible with clusters. Along with the fact that no one was really happy with our current product or its vendor we decided that this was the perfect time to look for a new solution. Check out the GFI MailSecurity gallery to see the tool in action.

The Job

The new mail anti-virus application had to meet the following criteria:

• It must either be cluster compatible, or able to run on a front end mail
      • It must feature a very regularly updated virus database, or preferably multiple databases
      • It must be affordable
      • It must be able to block attachment types
      • The configuration needs to be simple, or at least less complex than registry editing.
      • It must be reliable and responsive enough to process large volumes of mail.

The Tool

After evaluating several products we finally decided on MailSecurity from GFI Software. This product featured everything we were looking for.

• It supported cluster installations as well as front end installations.
      • It comes with two anti-virus engines (BitDefender and Norman) with the option of purchasing licensing for McAfee (you can now also purchase licensing for Kaspersky for a total of 4 possible engines).
      • It automatically comments out html scripts in emails.
      • It features fully configurable attachment blocking, including the ability to block all Microsoft Office files which includes macros.
      • It has an executable scanner that tests all executable file types to see if they are potentially malicious, even if they are not identified as a virus.
      • It is configurable by user, so that if a certain user need to be excluded from certain checks (such as Office documents containing macros) they can be without affecting everyone.
      • You can block emails based on certain words or phrases in the subject or body of the message.

GFI also offers a free fully functional 30 day evaluation, along with support it really seemed that this was a product we really needed to test. I also must point out the fact that NASA uses GFI products. While normally I find this sort of information useless, I must admit that the NASA factor definitely scored major geek points with out I.T. staff.

Putting MailSecurity to the Test

We installed MailSecurity on a front end relay server, before we even migrated to the cluster. After working through the configuration options and setting up our main server to forward outgoing mail to it, we set back to let MailSecurity do its job. We watched it churn though large amounts of mail quickly, and we were impressed by the stability the product showed while doing it. We were also greatly impressed with GFI?s support. They have a live support option, that allows you to hold an IM session with a support tech who can easily walk you through most issues and answer any questions you have. Having the evaluation installed on the front end, made our migration much easier. After deciding to purchase MailSecurity all we had to do was add the license code to have it fully functional. This allowed us to migrate to the mail cluster while leaving MailSecurity running, and queuing all incoming mail for delivery as soon as the new cluster was up. Check out the GFI MailSecurity gallery to see the tool in action.

The Right Tool for the Job?

We have been running MailSecurity for more than 3 years at this point. It has seen us through many virus storms, but none made it through the wall of protection MailSecurity gives us. We have grown through several versions of MailSecurity. The current release features a web interface for configuration and to access your quarantine. MailSecurity has provided us with a level of assurance over our mail system that we didn?t even know was possible. We have yet to have a single virus break through our mail system. This has proved to be one of the best products in our company.

Write your own review

GFI MailEssentials Anti-Spam for the masses

by josh.hoskins ·

Spam

Spam. Everyone hates it. Some have begun using it as curse word. Since the first unsolicited commercial email
      in 1978 to the first time a usenet post was called spam in 1993 it has been one
      of the most hated things to ever rear it?s on the internet. It is one of the few things everyone in the
      office can agree on. When we began the
      migration of our Exchange system to a fault tolerant cluster, we realized this
      was our opportunity to do something about it.

The Job

One
      of our primary requirements for the new anti-spam system was that it would need
      to be able to plug in directly to the new Exchange environment we were
      creating. We also needed something that
      would allow us the flexibility to accommodate our diverse internal clientele,
      along with providing the best overall protection we could get. We also needed the product to be able to
      integrate with our email anti-virus application. Did I mention cost was a factor also??

The Tool

Since
      we were currently in the processes of evaluating (and being impressed with)
      GFI?s MailSecurity as a replacement for our current email anti-virus
      application, it seemed a no brainer that we should give their anti-spam
      application MailEssentials a try. Being
      from the vendor of MailSecurity we knew that the interoperability would be
      there, along with the fit we were looking for our new environment. The feature list for MailEssentials looked
      like a compiled list of nearly every anti-spam tool on the market.

?       
      Bayesian Filtering

?       
      Tuning of Bayesian via public folders

?       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

?       
      SURBL Checking (In mail URL checking)

?       
      Message Header checking

?       
      Directory Harvest prevention

?       
      Sender Policy Framework support

?       
      User Editable White & Black lists

?       
      Fake NDR?s for messages marked as spam

?       
      Automatic tagging of new senders

?       
      Phishing URI blacklist checks

?       
      Block messages of certain languages

?       
      User settable Anti-Spam module properties

Along
      with those hefty anti-spam features, MailEssentials also includes several other
      mail management utilities:

?       
      POP mail downloader

?       
      Archiving of all messages to SQL Server

?       
      Auto-Replies

?       
      Automatic disclaimers attached to outgoing mails

?       
      Allow certain messages to be copied to users based
      on sender or recipient email address.

?       
      A List Server for maintaining mail lists

?       
      Customizable reports of mail activity

All
      of these combined to make MailEssentials our leading contender for our new
      anti-spam solution. View images of MailEssentials configuration here.

Putting MailEssentials to the Test

We
      downloaded the fully functional trial of MailEssentials, and installed it on
      the mail gateway we had already set up for the testing of MailSecurity. The installation went flawless, and only
      required IIS services to be restarted, and not a full reboot. Immediately after installation we began
      seeing messages passing through the GFI Monitor. We had set all messages tagged as Spam to be
      delivered to a public folder. Once we
      began monitoring this folder, we noticed that there were some false positives
      being generated. Some minor tweaking of
      the checks, including whitelisting certain domains, corrected these
      problems. We also had issues with our
      sales force, but we were able to whitelist their addresses so that all mail
      sent to them would not be checked.

We
      went production with MailEssentials within 3 weeks of our initial testing. Since that time it has become a tool we come
      to depend on. It excels not just in spam
      detection (giving us a 99.999% rate of no false positives), but the many of the
      other tools have been used in differing situations. The auto-reply?s have become a godsend for
      orders emailed to us. The mail
      monitoring tool has helped us resolve some tricky issues with vendors who were
      telling multiple employees different things.
      The mail monitoring tool allowed us to send all mail sent by that vendor
      to not just the person addressed to, but to all people involved in the
      transaction. Also, the mail archiving
      tool, while not currently in production, was the impetus for us to purchase GFI
      MailArchiver, but that?s another tool, for another day.

Write your own review

MailEssentials Anti-Spam and More!

by josh.hoskins ·

Spam.  Everyone hates it.  Some have begun using it as curse word.  Since the first unsolicited commercial email
      of the most hated things to ever rear it?s on the internet.  It is one of the few things everyone in the
      office can agree on.  When we began the

The Job

One
      creating.  We also needed something that
      along with providing the best overall protection we could get.  We also needed the product to be able to
      integrate with our email anti-virus application.  Did I mention cost was a factor also??

The Tool

Since
      application MailEssentials a try.  Being
      there, along with the fit we were looking for our new environment.  The feature list for MailEssentials looked

?       
      Bayesian Filtering

?       

?       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

?       

?       
      Message Header checking

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

Along

?       
      POP mail downloader

?       

?       
      Auto-Replies

?       

?       

?       

?       

All
      anti-spam solution.  View images of
      MailEssentials configuration here.

We
      the mail gateway we had already set up for the testing of MailSecurity.  The installation went flawless, and only
      required IIS services to be restarted, and not a full reboot.  Immediately after installation we began
      seeing messages passing through the GFI Monitor.  We had set all messages tagged as Spam to be
      delivered to a public folder.  Once we
      being generated.  Some minor tweaking of
      problems.  We also had issues with our

We
      went production with MailEssentials within 3 weeks of our initial testing.  Since that time it has become a tool we come
      to depend on.  It excels not just in spam
      other tools have been used in differing situations.  The auto-reply?s have become a godsend for
      orders emailed to us.  The mail
      transaction.  Also, the mail archiving

Anti-Spam through GFI MailEssentials

by josh.hoskins ·

GFI MailEssentials

Spam.  Everyone hates it.  Some
      have begun using it as curse word.  Since
      the first unsolicited commercial email
      in 1978 to the first time a usenet post was called spam in 1993 it has
      been one
      of the most hated things to ever rear it?s on the internet.  It is one of the few things everyone in the
      migration of our Exchange system to a fault tolerant cluster, we
      realized this

The Job

One
      of our primary requirements for the new anti-spam system was that it
      would need
      would allow us the flexibility to accommodate our diverse internal
      clientele,
      along with providing the best overall protection we could get.  We also needed the product to be able to
      integrate with our email anti-virus application.  Did
      I mention cost was a factor also??

The Tool

Since
      we were currently in the processes of evaluating (and being impressed
      with)
      from the vendor of MailSecurity we knew that the interoperability would
      be
      there, along with the fit we were looking for our new environment.  The feature list for MailEssentials looked

·       
      Bayesian Filtering

·       
      Tuning of Bayesian via
      public folders

·       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

·       
      SURBL Checking (In mail
      URL checking)

·       
      Message Header checking

·       
      Directory Harvest
      prevention

·       
      Sender Policy Framework
      support

·       
      User Editable White
      & Black lists

·       
      Fake NDR?s for messages
      marked as spam

·       
      Automatic tagging of new
      senders

·       
      Phishing URI blacklist
      checks

·       
      Block messages of
      certain languages

·       
      User settable Anti-Spam
      module properties

Along
      with those hefty anti-spam features, MailEssentials also includes
      several other

·       
      POP mail downloader

·       
      Archiving of all
      messages to SQL Server

·       
      Auto-Replies

·       
      Automatic disclaimers
      attached to outgoing mails

·       
      Allow certain messages
      to be copied to users based

·       
      A List Server for
      maintaining mail lists

·       
      Customizable reports of
      mail activity

All
      of these combined to make MailEssentials our leading contender for our
      new

We
      downloaded the fully functional trial of MailEssentials, and installed
      it on
      the mail gateway we had already set up for the testing of MailSecurity.  The installation went flawless, and only
      required IIS services to be restarted, and not a full reboot.  Immediately after installation we began
      seeing messages passing through the GFI Monitor.  We
      had set all messages tagged as Spam to be
      began monitoring this folder, we noticed that there were some false
      positives
      sales force, but we were able to whitelist their addresses so that all
      mail

We
      went production with MailEssentials within 3 weeks of our initial
      testing.  Since that time it has become a
      tool we come
      detection (giving us a 99.999% rate of no false positives), but the
      many of the
      other tools have been used in differing situations. 
      The auto-reply?s have become a godsend for
      monitoring tool has helped us resolve some tricky issues with vendors
      who were
      The mail monitoring tool allowed us to send all mail sent by
      that vendor
      tool, while not currently in production, was the impetus for us to
      purchase GFI

test

by josh.hoskins ·

GFI MailEssentials

been one
      realized this

The Job

One
      would need
      clientele,
      I mention cost was a factor also??

The Tool

Since
      with)
      be

·       
      Bayesian Filtering

·       
      Tuning of Bayesian via
      public folders

·       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

·       
      SURBL Checking (In mail
      URL checking)

·       
      Message Header checking

·       
      Directory Harvest
      prevention

·       
      Sender Policy Framework
      support

·       
      User Editable White
      & Black lists

·       
      Fake NDR?s for messages
      marked as spam

·       
      Automatic tagging of new
      senders

·       
      Phishing URI blacklist
      checks

·       
      Block messages of
      certain languages

·       
      User settable Anti-Spam
      module properties

Along
      several other

·       
      POP mail downloader

·       
      Archiving of all
      messages to SQL Server

·       
      Auto-Replies

·       
      Automatic disclaimers

·       
      Allow certain messages

·       
      A List Server for
      maintaining mail lists

·       
      Customizable reports of
      mail activity

All
      new

We
      it on
      positives
      mail

We
      tool we come
      many of the
      The auto-reply?s have become a godsend for
      who were
      that vendor
      purchase GFI

This is only a test

by josh.hoskins ·

This is not the post you are looking for…

ME

by josh.hoskins ·

Spam.  Everyone hates it.  Some have begun using it as curse word.  Since the first unsolicited commercial email

The Job

One
      integrate with our email anti-virus application.  Did I mention cost was a factor also??

The Tool

Since

?       
      Bayesian Filtering

?       

?       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

?       

?       
      Message Header checking

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

Along

?       
      POP mail downloader

?       

?       
      Auto-Replies

?       

?       

?       

?       

All

We
      seeing messages passing through the GFI Monitor.  We had set all messages tagged as Spam to be

We
      went production with MailEssentials within 3 weeks of our initial testing.  Since that time it has become a tool we come
      other tools have been used in differing situations.  The auto-reply?s have become a godsend for

MailEssentials Anti-Spam

by josh.hoskins ·

been one
      of the most hated things to ever rear it’s on the internet.  It is one of the few things everyone in the
      realized this

The Job

One
      would need
      clientele,
      I mention cost was a factor also……

The Tool

Since
      with)
      GFI’s MailSecurity as a replacement for our current email anti-virus
      be

·       
      Bayesian Filtering

·       
      Tuning of Bayesian via
      public folders

·       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

·       
      SURBL Checking (In mail
      URL checking)

·       
      Message Header checking

·       
      Directory Harvest
      prevention

·       
      Sender Policy Framework
      support

·       
      User Editable White
      & Black lists

·       
      Fake NDR’s for messages
      marked as spam

·       
      Automatic tagging of new
      senders

·       
      Phishing URI blacklist
      checks

·       
      Block messages of
      certain languages

·       
      User settable Anti-Spam
      module properties

Along
      several other

·       
      POP mail downloader

·       
      Archiving of all
      messages to SQL Server

·       
      Auto-Replies

·       
      Automatic disclaimers

·       
      Allow certain messages

·       
      A List Server for
      maintaining mail lists

·       
      Customizable reports of
      mail activity

All
      new

We
      it on
      positives
      mail

We
      tool we come
      many of the
      The auto-reply’s have become a godsend for
      who were
      that vendor
      purchase GFI
      MailArchiver, but that’s another tool, for another day.

blah

by josh.hoskins ·

The Job

One

The Tool

Since

?       
      Bayesian Filtering

?       

?       
      DNS Blacklist Checking

?       

?       
      Message Header checking

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

?       

Along

?       
      POP mail downloader

?       

?       
      Auto-Replies

?       

?       

?       

?       

All

We

We

MailEssentials Anti-Spam with features galore!

by josh.hoskins ·

Spam. Everyone hates it. Some have begun using it as curse word. Since the first unsolicited commercial email in 1978 to the first time a usenet post was called spam in 1993 it has been one of the most hated things to ever rear it?s on the internet. It is one of the few things everyone in the office can agree on. When we began the migration of our Exchange system to a fault tolerant cluster, we realized this was our opportunity to do something about it.

The Job

One of our primary requirements for the new anti-spam system was that it would need to be able to plug in directly to the new Exchange environment we were creating. We also needed something that would allow us the flexibility to accommodate our diverse internal clientele, along with providing the best overall protection we could get. We also needed the product to be able to integrate with our email anti-virus application. Did I mention cost was a factor also??

The Tool

Since we were currently in the processes of evaluating (and being impressed with) GFI?s MailSecurity as a replacement for our current email anti-virus application, it seemed a no brainer that we should give their anti-spam application MailEssentials a try. Being from the vendor of MailSecurity we knew that the interoperability would be there, along with the fit we were looking for our new environment. The feature list for MailEssentials looked like a compiled list of nearly every anti-spam tool on the market.

• Bayesian Filtering
      • Tuning of Bayesian via public folders
      • DNS Blacklist Checking
      • SURBL Checking (In mail URL checking)
      • Message Header checking
      • Directory Harvest prevention
      • Sender Policy Framework support
      • User Editable White & Black lists
      • Fake NDR?s for messages marked as spam
      • Automatic tagging of new senders
      • Phishing URI blacklist checks
      • Block messages of certain languages
      • User settable Anti-Spam module properties

Along with those hefty anti-spam features, MailEssentials also includes several other mail management utilities:

• POP mail downloader
      • Archiving of all messages to SQL Server
      • Auto-Replies
      • Automatic disclaimers attached to outgoing mails
      • Allow certain messages to be copied to users based on sender or recipient email address.
      • A List Server for maintaining mail lists
      • Customizable reports of mail activity

All of these combined to make MailEssentials our leading contender for our new anti-spam solution. View images of MailEssentials configuration here.

We downloaded the fully functional trial of MailEssentials, and installed it on the mail gateway we had already set up for the testing of MailSecurity. The installation went flawless, and only required IIS services to be restarted, and not a full reboot. Immediately after installation we began seeing messages passing through the GFI Monitor. We had set all messages tagged as Spam to be delivered to a public folder. Once we began monitoring this folder, we noticed that there were some false positives being generated. Some minor tweaking of the checks, including whitelisting certain domains, corrected these problems. We also had issues with our sales force, but we were able to whitelist their addresses so that all mail sent to them would not be checked.

We went production with MailEssentials within 3 weeks of our initial testing. Since that time it has become a tool we come to depend on. It excels not just in spam detection (giving us a 99.999% rate of no false positives), but the many of the other tools have been used in differing situations. The auto-reply?s have become a godsend for orders emailed to us. The mail monitoring tool has helped us resolve some tricky issues with vendors who were telling multiple employees different things. The mail monitoring tool allowed us to send all mail sent by that vendor to not just the person addressed to, but to all people involved in the transaction. Also, the mail archiving tool, while not currently in production, was the impetus for us to purchase GFI MailArchiver, but that?s another tool, for another day.

Write your own review

If you’ve found the perfect tool for the job, we want to hear about it. Send us an e-mail
      describing the product and the job you’re using it for. If we feature
      the product in The Right Tool for the Job? blog, you’ll earn a little
      cash and be featured across the TechRepublic Web site and in our
      newsletters.

by regulus ·

In reply to MailEssentials Anti-Spam with features galore!

Where is the ‘Printable version’ please???

by pmshah9 ·

In reply to MailEssentials Anti-Spam with features galore!

I have a DSL connection furnished by my ISP which happens to be a DHCP client. Very often I find that my one off messages are being rejected since the sender mail host ip address is different from my isp furnished ip address, I use local smtp server for assured delivery reports. To eliminate spam to a large degree I find this ip checking system to be the most effective. I am still looking for a mail server software that will let me accept or reject mail based on this ip address verification. If someone has found one would appreciate putting it up on this blog for other people.

Storage Savings through PST Compaction

by josh.hoskins ·

People love their email. Most are so attached to it that they can’t bear to part with it. While this is not a big deal on their home pc’s, in a corporate environment this attachment can quickly become a huge issue. While most email systems allow you a great leeway in management of mailbox sizes, they don’t manage users who pull their mail out of the system and save it locally or on a network share. Microsoft Outlook makes this easier with the ease of creating PST files for mail backups, mounting them in your mailbox, and dragging and dropping mail into them to get rid of those annoying “Over Mailbox Size Limit” emails.

The Job

When analyzing our storage on our network user home drive. We found that over 25% of our total storage was dedicated to PST files. We realized that unless something was done our entire user volume would quickly be overrun by PST’s. As this was high performance SAN attached storage there is also a premium placed on this storage. We quickly began looking at efforts to work with our users to help them letter better mail management practices. Unfortunately we were met with an unwilling user base, and lack of (non-IT) management support to back it up. We then turned our attention to looking at third party tools. While many of them were full of features they were also full of price. Not only that many of them were much more intensive than what we needed. After much searching we finally found PSTCompactor from Xemplify IT.

The Tool

PSTCompactor was originally overlooked due to the cost and feature set of its enterprise edition. Upon a second inspection though we saw that they also offered a Professional version that was scaled down for the enterprise edition, but still featured all of the tools we were looking for. This product would automatically compact PST’s, clear out specific folders, and most importantly zip all attachments. This is along with a goodly set of management tools, being highly configurable, totally automatic, and a wonderfully low price point of $299 per processing server. The great thing about this is that one server can scan multiple UNC locations. It also boasted an average savings of 38% of total PST size. View pictures of PST Compactor here.

Putting PSTComapctor to the Test

We installed PSTCompactor onto our test server. WE then created a configuration file to scan a certain directory on the I.T. group drive. We then placed backup copies of several PST’s into this directory. We set what we decided would most likely be our default options, then let ‘er rip. The run time was greater than expected, but the results were right in line with what was expected. We had a 35% reduction in the size of our test PST’s. After confirming that there were no issues with the PST’s, we decided to schedule a roll it into production the following weekend. Our initial run took much longer than expected. Scanning our full group and user drives took slightly over 20 hours. We also encountered one slight issue with certain directories reporting errors. This was due to these folders being named exclusively with Chinese characters which would be translated as illegal folder names. After reporting this issue to Xemplify’s support and sending them some log files, they quickly turned around a patch for the software to correct this. I was greatly impressed with their professionalism and quick response.

Right tool for the job?

The entire I.T. staff eagerly awaited the report on Monday morning of the first running of PSTCompactor. I quickly exported the report to PDF, and printed out several copies. Our initial running of PSTCompactor had resulted in a reduction of more than 48% of our total PST size. Our SAN Administrator wept openly. The initial euphoria was quickly tempered as we awaited a potential onslaught of user issues. The hours crept by and none were noted.PSTComapctor has proved to be an invaluable addition to our repertoire of I.T. tools. While we have not seen the continued mass growth reduction we saw over the first one, we continually see reductions (mostly due to new mail and PST’s). Also, we have noted that the growth rate of storage on our user home drive has been reduced dramatically. The amount of storage initially saved was valued at 4 times as much as the cost of PSTCompactor itself. This has been a great tool for us, that has saved I.T. a lot of headaches and our users many hours of forced mail management.

Write your own review

If you’ve found the perfect tool for the job, we want to hear about it. Send us an e-mail
      newsletters.

Mail Archival and Retention on the cheap and easy

by josh.hoskins ·

“I deleted an email I needed; can you get it back for me?” What email admin has not heard those words? If you use Exchange deleted item retention, you have a few days (or weeks depending) on your settings, but what if the email is 2 months old, or 6 months, or 2 years? You can always restore your old email stores, but this can be time consuming and have sketchy availability due to your backup retention periods.

The Job

Having had one to many restores and one to many important mails lost due to user mistakes, a search was begun to find a solution that could help us prevent both of these from happening. We began a long search for a quality mail archival solution that wouldn’t break the bank. We quickly realized we had a couple of issue that quickly caused our search to become extremely narrowed. Corporate policy states that if all possible we cannot add anything that will add hooks directly into any mission critical application (such as SQL or Exchange), and our budget for this was small, which was fine if not for the fact that most of the solutions we found were more than 5 digits (not counting decimals)!

The Tool

We eventually found a product, which was in beta at the time, which would seemingly fit our needs. MailArchiver from GFI seemed exactly like the solution we were looking for. It used exchange journaling to collect all mail, and then polled from a MS SQL database to pull the all of the mail journaled into a database archive. MailArchiver then creates a web interface for users to view their email. They can go the website, and using NT integrated authentication go directly to a customized page showing all of their mail (by conversation). If you enable full text search in your SQL Server users can also search through all of their messages using fields such as sender, date received, subject, or words within the body of the message. The only issue we had was with the amount of storage the database would consume (the journaled mailbox is cleaned out when messages are archived to the database). Luckily GFI announced even before the beta was finished that the next version of MailArchiver (due in only a few months) would ship with multiple database support. This would allow your storage to be spread among multiple storage areas or even multiple database servers. Also added was better printing ability for emails, along with the ability to save the mails as .eml files, and to forward a whole conversation thread (or individual messages) back to their mailbox. View pictures of MailArchiver in action here.

Putting MailArchiver to the Test

We rolled MailArchiver as soon as it was released from beta. The only issue we had was that we used an older server (2 X Xeon 550 MHz), and we found that as the user load increased these processors were not up to the challenge. After upgrading to a more modern server things went much smoother. While there was a good deal of user training needed, this was due not due to the MailArchiver interface (which is very intuitive), but in re-educating users in the use of their email. With MailArchiver in place users no longer needed to have long term storage of their email in either their mailbox or in personal folders. While the re-education was difficult the simplicity of the tool made it much easier. Along with the fact that users could now access their mails from any workstation with no additions to Outlook (like adding PST’s) the conversion began gaining acceptance and became the defacto standard at our company.

Right tool for the job?

While already having a large MS SQL database infrastructure made our implementation easier, GFI MailArchiver is relatively painless even for those with a previous infrastructure. It has greatly reduced the storage in use in both our mail system and in our file storage for PST’s. Also, we no longer hear the “I deleted an email I needed, can you get it back for me?” question. Now people through out the company know that can just point their browser to the website do a quick search and have full access to their entire email history.

Write your own review

newsletters.

Mail Archival and Retention on the cheap and easy

by dougscrm9 ·

In reply to Mail Archival and Retention on the cheap and easy

I recently installed GFI MailArchiver at a small client running SBS 2003 Premium – its working very nicely. Makes Exchange admin much easier because users now delete their mail and use the archive to look up old mail.

The Best Tools are Often the Simplest

by josh.hoskins ·

*nix
      admins love cron jobs. The power to schedule tasks you would
      normally have to run manually is great indeed. Unfortunately, many
      Windows admins don’t do the same, even though the tools to do this
      are included in Windows. This is perhaps due to the fact that the
      tool to do this included in the older N.T. versions of Windows server
      (the A.T. scheduler) was difficult to use and often were not
      reliable. Beginning with Windows 2000 though a new scheduling tool
      was included.

The
      Job

Our mail gateway is an I.I.S. 6 SMTP
      relay, running on Windows 2003 standard edition. While this server
      has proven to be fairly reliable, there are several things I have
      found that I must do manually on it. I have had to empty the bad
      mail folder sporadically, as it would not automatically empty and
      could take up a large amount of disk space. The server would also be
      up for long periods of time without a reboot, but occasionally I
      would have an issue with mail delivery due to I.P. address changes,
      and I would either have to reboot the server, or just clear the
      D.N.S. cache. Also on occasion there were reasons to either restart
      the SMTP service or even reboot the whole server. While individually
      none of these were major efforts to do, they would usually get put
      off until there was a problem due to the fact that it was very easy
      to forget to do something when there is so much else going on.

The
      Tool

After rushing to clean out the bad
      mail folder when the hard drive filled up again, I decided something
      needed to be done. It was time to become proactive instead of
      reactive to these issues. While going over the tasks needed to be
      done, it occurred to me that I could do all of these tasks from the
      command prompt. While Windows has long pushed their G.U.I. Tools,
      those of us who remember using D.O.S. as their primary operating
      system can bring our old skills back to the forefront to do many
      things from the command prompt (Microsoft is listening though to
      those of us who prefer command line. Currently Windows Power Shell
      is in beta, and promises most of the functionality of *nix command
      shells. You can download it here.). I also knew that you can create a simple batch file by
      taking the commands you wish to run, copying them to notepad, and
      saving the file with the .BAT extension. This would create an
      executable file that you could then run. The thought of teaming
      batch files with the Task Scheduler utility seemed to be a match made
      in heaven. While I had some misgivings about the Task Scheduler, I
      figured it was well worth a shot as it would not only be free, but if
      it worked there would be a wealth of other issues on other systems I
      could use it for. You can view an image gallery of sample batch files and the Task Scheduler here.

Putting
      Batch Files and Task Scheduler to the Test

Initially I wrote the batch files to
      clear the bad mail directory, restart the SMTP service, and clear the
      D.N.S. cache. While none of these needed to be done on a daily
      basis, the Task Scheduler utility made it quite easy to schedule a
      separate weekly instances of each of these. The only difficult
      process was determining the necessary switches to use to fully
      automate the scripts. Luckily using the /? parameter on most
      commands in the command prompt will return a help file that will show
      all of the available switches. After the verifying that the initial
      runnings were successful, it was very easy to ?set it and forget
      it?.

Right
      Tool for the Job?

After seeing that everything was
      running smoothly, it was easy to find new uses to this tool set. One
      of the first was the ending of the third shift reboots. Windows
      Server 2003 contains the shutdown command which allows you to
      shutdown and reboot the system from the command prompt. This command
      is also available in Windows XP, and it allows to shut down a remote
      system. This allows you to reboot systems from a script contained on
      your workstation, without even adding anything to the server. There
      is also a version of this tool in the Windows 2000 resource kit for
      older systems. The use of Batch Files and the Task Scheduler has now
      become a standard practice at my company. This has proven to most
      definitely be The Right Tool for the Job.  You can download several of the scripts we use here.

Write your own review

newsletters.

Talkin? about Virtualization

by josh.hoskins ·

“We have to many servers”, one of my admins
      grumbled to me.  It was true.  Our server room was overflowing.  We had an individual server dedicated to
      nearly every function that was performed within our company.  Not only that, but we had a number of older 7U
      servers, that were low powered by today?s standards, but were still being used
      for many critical functions.

The Job

After much discussion, it was decided that a server
      consolidation effort was going to be required. 
      While there were many functions that could be moved from slower
      individual servers, to a few newer, more powerful servers that would not be
      enough.  Due to the fact that many people
      through out our company were used to having “their own” server
      resistance was high for change.  We
      needed a way to allow people to continue to have “their server” while
      drastically reducing our server count.   The best way to accomplish this it seemed was
      with server virtualization.

The Tool

There are several server virtualization packages
      available.  QEMU, VMWare, XEN, and Microsoft
      Virtual Server R2 seemed to be the leading players.  While looking at available packages VMWare
      was ruled out to the excessive cost.  This
      has since changed with the beta release of VMWare server, but this was
      not available at the time.  QEMU was ruled out due to many in our IT staff
      having heard of it being slower than the other virtualization engines, so it
      came down to XEN
      and Microsoft
      Virtual Server R2
      .  Cost was negligible
      between the open source XEN and the Microsoft product, as Microsoft Virtual
      Server Enterprise edition was only priced at a couple of hundred dollars, well
      within our range of affordability (it has since become free).  We decided to use the Microsoft solution owing
      largely to the fact that the R2 release of Virtual Server supported fault
      tolerant clustering using Microsoft clustering. 
      Microsoft clustering is something our IT staff has a large amount of experience
      with, and our user base has come to expect the high levels of availability it
      affords us. 

Putting Virtual
      Server R2 to the Test

The initial install of Microsoft Virtual Server R2 was
      extremely simple.  Installing a virtual
      server was almost as easy as that. 
      Microsoft has done a good job in making this process as painless as
      possible.  We ran up several test servers
      in our development environment, and began to play with the product.  We were impressed by the speed of the virtual
      servers, the ease of ?upgrading? components such as adding RAM or network
      adapters to the virtualized system, and the ease of migrating virtualized
      systems from one virtual server host server to another.  Unfortunately, not all was smooth
      sailing.  The fail over clustering
      support, while functional, is rather cumbersome and time consuming to configure
      (you can download the clustering document here).  Also, the P2V (physical to virtual) migration
      tools were also very difficult to use, and required the use of another
      Microsoft Automated Deployment Services; a product that we did not have deployed.

Right Tool for the
      Job?

We have been very happy with Microsoft Virtual Server
      R2.  While the road has not always been
      the easiest, due to the current state of clustering and P2V migration, we have
      been extremely happy with the product. 
      Currently we have 15 virtual system deployed into production among 2
      virtual server hosts.  We run a variety
      of services from these boxes, including our Exchange Front End server, our accounting
      and payroll servers, and our SharePoint Services environment.  Users for the most part have not even noticed
      the changeover from physical to virtual, though there have been some
      complements about faster performance on some of the servers.  This is due to the hard drives of the virtual
      systems being on high performance SAN storage, and the host servers being much
      faster than their previous physical servers. 
      This consolidation has reduced a total of 42U worth of rack space down
      into 8U, this is a huge saving in our cramped data center.    Microsoft
      Virtual Server R2 has definitely been the Right Tool for the Job!

Talkin? ’bout Virtualization

by josh.hoskins ·

“We have to many servers”, one of my admins grumbled to me. It was true. Our server room was overflowing. We had an individual server dedicated to nearly every function that was performed within our company. Not only that, but we had a number of older 7U servers, that were low powered by today?s standards, but were still being used for many critical functions.

The Job

After much discussion, it was decided that a server consolidation effort was going to be required. While there were many functions that could be moved from slower individual servers, to a few newer, more powerful servers that would not be enough. Due to the fact that many people through out our company were used to having “their own” server resistance was high for change. We needed a way to allow people to continue to have “their server” while drastically reducing our server count. The best way to accomplish this it seemed was with server virtualization.

The Tool

There are several server virtualization packages available. QEMU, VMWare, XEN, and Microsoft Virtual Server R2 seemed to be the leading players. While looking at available packages VMWare was ruled out to the excessive cost. This has since changed with the beta release of VMWare server, but this was not available at the time. QEMU was ruled out due to many in our IT staff having heard of it being slower than the other virtualization engines, so it came down to XEN and Microsoft Virtual Server R2. Cost was negligible between the open source XEN and the Microsoft product, as Microsoft Virtual Server Enterprise edition was only priced at a couple of hundred dollars, well within our range of affordability (it has since become free). We decided to use the Microsoft solution owing largely to the fact that the R2 release of Virtual Server supported fault tolerant clustering using Microsoft clustering. Microsoft clustering is something our IT staff has a large amount of experience with, and our user base has come to expect the high levels of availability it affords us.

Putting Virtual Server R2 to the Test

The initial install of Microsoft Virtual Server R2 was extremely simple. Installing a virtual server was almost as easy as that. Microsoft has done a good job in making this process as painless as possible. We ran up several test servers in our development environment, and began to play with the product. We were impressed by the speed of the virtual servers, the ease of ?upgrading? components such as adding RAM or network adapters to the virtualized system, and the ease of migrating virtualized systems from one virtual server host server to another. Unfortunately, not all was smooth sailing. The fail over clustering support, while functional, is rather cumbersome and time consuming to configure (you can download the clustering document here). Also, the P2V (physical to virtual) migration tools were also very difficult to use, and required the use of another Microsoft Automated Deployment Services; a product that we did not have deployed.  You can view an image gallery of virtual server here.

Right Tool for the Job?

We have been very happy with Microsoft Virtual Server R2. While the road has not always been the easiest, due to the current state of clustering and P2V migration, we have been extremely happy with the product. Currently we have 15 virtual system deployed into production among 2 virtual server hosts. We run a variety of services from these boxes, including our Exchange Front End server, our accounting and payroll servers, and our SharePoint Services environment. Users for the most part have not even noticed the changeover from physical to virtual, though there have been some complements about faster performance on some of the servers. This is due to the hard drives of the virtual systems being on high performance SAN storage, and the host servers being much faster than their previous physical servers. This consolidation has reduced a total of 42U worth of rack space down into 8U, this is a huge saving in our cramped data center. Microsoft Virtual Server R2 has definitely been the Right Tool for the Job!

Write your own review

newsletters.

Harnessing big power for small solutions

by josh.hoskins ·

Our homebrew
      helpdesk system had been up for a long time, but as the company grew it was
      beginning to show its age. While using
      a Microsoft Access database as the backend had been fine for 50 users, it was
      not really working out for 300 users. A
      solution needed to be found to remedy the speed and usability issues we were
      having, and fast!

The Job

Our
      initial thought was to look for a more mature helpdesk package to
      implement. Unfortunately, budgetary
      constraints took the wind out of those sails.
      While a search began on looking at open source tools, we also began
      looking at our current helpdesk to see what could be done to help remedy the
      situation. Our helpdesk is a fairly
      simple web based design, using active server pages, back ended to a M.S. Access
      database. After looking into how the
      system operated, we realized that the A.S.P. pages all used a D.S.N. connection
      to communicate with the database. Since
      it used a D.S.N. we realized that we could point the D.S.N. to another data
      source, and as long as the data structures were the same, we shouldn?t experience
      any major problems.

The Tool

We decided that we could migrate the
      Access database to another system. Our
      choices were fairly limited however; by the fact our budget for this product
      was $0. Luckily the obvious solution for
      this problem became quickly apparent. We
      already had a large MS SQL backend structure in place. While we could not (for procedural reasons)
      create a new SQL database in any of our production environments, we could use
      the Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) to house our database. We already had licenses for the MS SQL tool
      set due to our backend, so we decided to use Microsoft Data Transformation
      Services to migrate our Access database to MSDE.

Putting DTS to the Test

There was initially some fear among
      our I.T. department, who had never used D.T.S., that it would be a very
      complicated procedure. Luckily, nothing
      was further from the truth. The wizards
      Microsoft provided (accessed through SQL Enterprise Manager) made the job of
      moving our Access database to MSDE a snap.
      The whole procedure took less than 30 minutes to complete. View screenshots of the conversion process here.  Once the database was moved and the D.S.N.
      changed, we fired up the helpdesk website to test for any problems. There were of course a few (we had expected
      this), and the developer we had with us
      was able to straighten them out quickly.  

Right Tool for the Job?

One of the first things we noticed was that the
      helpdesk pages loaded MUCH faster with the MSDE backend. Not only was it faster than the speeds we
      had become accustomed to under our current load, but it was faster than the
      helpdesk had been even originally. Also,
      the search though our knowledge base was extremely fast. Searches that took greater than 10 minutes
      before were now taking seconds. We did
      have a rash of calls over the next several days from users who thought the
      system was not accepting their tickets it was responding so fast (on ticket
      acceptance it redirects them to the main page).
      Everyone was very happy with this system. Currently we have been on our MSDE system for
      2 years. In that time the database size
      has grown, but we are nowhere near the 2 GB limit of MSDE. Since seeing how easy was to do this, many
      members of our I.T. staff have been using a combination of MSDE and Microsoft
      D.T.S. to migrate many different applications.
      We have migrated everything from other Access databases to Excel
      spreadsheets to MSDE. Our users have
      generally loved the speed increases, and our developers have become exceptionally
      quick at coming up with front ends for these solutions. A combination of MSDE and D.T.S. has definitely
      proved to be the Right Tool for the Job.

Write your own review

newsletters.

Powerful Scheduling for Windows Admins

by josh.hoskins ·

A while back I put up a post detailing how I regularly used
      batch files and the Windows Task Scheduler to automate jobs. Not long after posting this another member of
      TechRepublic sent me an e-mail letting me know about another tool that was
      available that added a lot of power to what I was doing. In the spirit of adventure, I went and
      grabbed a download of VisualCron by neteject.com to give it a go around the block.

The Job

Using batch files and Windows Task Scheduler we already have
      a fairly comfortable and reliable task scheduling system in place. Not really knowing where we were going with
      VisualCron made determining where to test it a bit more difficult, as we did
      not want to disturb any of the processes we already had in place. Finally after looking at what was available
      in VisualCron, we found once place it could make a huge difference. We have several files that must be manually downloaded
      from suppliers. These files are then
      placed in individual sub-directories where they are scooped up by a database
      server and from there moved to several databases. We have had a problem recently of certain
      files not getting downloaded
      in a timely manner. This is difficult to
      monitor due to the irregularity of the files being generated. Many files are generated daily, but some of
      them are monthly or bi-monthly. We
      needed to find a way to easily monitor the download of files.

The Tool

The tools available in VisualCron gave us a lot of leeway in
      the manner in which we wanted to do this.
      We decided to set up separate monitors in VisualCron to watch for each
      specific file creation. On file creation
      VisualCron then ran a T-SQL command to add a line to a monitoring database we
      created. This database would daily
      calculate which files should have been downloaded versus which files were
      downloaded. It will then generate a
      reminder email (using xp_smtpsendmail80)
      to the person(s) responsible for downloading specific files if these files were
      not downloaded on their due date. The
      file trigger and SQL task within VisualCron seemed to be perfect for this. View some of the available options in
      VisualCron here.

Putting VisualCron to
      the Test

The setup of the VisualCron monitors was slightly more difficult
      that expected. This was understandable
      though due to the massive power difference I was using. It was very quickly apparent that this tool
      was magnitude of power greater than the solution I was currently using. That being said we were looking to do
      something very specific. After locating
      and setting up the exact monitors I would be using it was simply a matter of repeating
      the steps for each individual subdirectory and modifying run times and T-SQL
      commands to match each alert. The setup
      went smoothly (the SQL backend work already being completed), and we were ready
      to test.

Right Tool for the
      Job?

The testing went nearly perfect. The only glitch we had, was the test server
      VisualCron was running on failed after 2 weeks, and we all realized the need of
      backing up jobs. After setting
      VisualCron back up in a production environment and recreating our jobs it has
      been flawless. We have been using
      VisualCron for a little while now, and have added several more monitors with
      it, and are continually amazed by the power this little tool offers. Every time we think we have tapped this tool
      for all it?s worth, it is constantly proving itself up for even more. While it has not replaced the old stand by of
      batch files and Task Scheduler (if it ain?t broke ? and free ? don?t fix it),
      it is taking on the brunt of new work coming down the pike. VisualCron is constantly proving to us, that it
      is the Right Tool for the Job.

Write your own review

newsletters.

by apotheon ·

In reply to Powerful Scheduling for Windows Admins

I’ve referenced this TRB(log) post in ITLOG.

Thanks for drawing my attention to VisualCron, in any case. It’s nice to know how the state of the art for unix functionality emulation in Windows is moving forward.

by wdewey ·

In reply to Powerful Scheduling for Windows Admins

Event triggers seem like a very powerful tool and something that I haven’t seen before.

Does this run on Linux machines also?  I have always use the command line to configure cron.

Bill

Data Recorvery for those special times

by josh.hoskins ·

Are you sure you backed up your data? It seems like an easy enough question, but
      how many times have you asked a user this only to have them come back, and ask
      for a critically important file a few days later? It?s happened quite a few times where I work.
      Unfortunately, we have generally have a
      very quick turnaround time on systems, so by the time the question is asked,
      the system generally has been reformatted and returned to a different user.

The Job

We had a definite need for a data recoverability strategy. While user education can account for a lot of
      improvement in this area, we still had a need for additional data recovery. While we initially implemented a moratorium
      before a system could be re-imaged, this was not effective as the quick turnaround
      time insures that we are not constantly in need of purchasing new systems. We looked into data recovery services, but
      they were price prohibitive. Finally we
      found a software package that seemed like it would fit our needs.

The Tool

At first glance the tool Zero Assumption Recovery (ZAR) really
      seemed to be exactly what we needed.
      This tool will allow you to recover deleted data from within Windows (NT,
      2000, XP, 2003). Windows will need to be
      able see the disk in Disk Management, but it does not need to be mounted as a
      drive. ZAR can work off of raw volumes,
      so even if windows insists that it needs to format the disk to read it ZAR can
      still recover data from the device. It
      can read data from disks that are (or were) formatted FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS. It can also recover data from ext2 partitions
      and digital cameras, though this is limited.
      You can find a list of supported cameras here. Also, it can read from and even repair RAID 0
      and RAID 5 arrays.

Putting Zero
      Assumption Recovery to the Test

Our first chance to use ZAR was on a PC that had been re-formatted
      but had not yet been re-imaged. A user
      came to us in tears saying that a spreadsheet she had been working on for 3
      weeks was saved on her local box, and she had forgotten to back it up. We told her we would attempt to recover it,
      but we could not promise anything. We
      took the hard drive and placed it in another working PC. Windows 2000 Pro booted up, and saw the hard
      drive, but could not mount it due to the lack of formatting. We installed and started ZAR, and pointed it
      to the drive. It had no problem seeing
      the drive, and immediately began working on scanning it. As this was a 60 GB drive it took quite a
      while for the scan to complete, but when it was finished it presented the
      entire drive in a typical Windows Explorer fashion. Placing a check next to a file or folder
      marked it for recovery. We recovered
      this users My Documents folder to her U: drive.
      Not only was the spreadsheet was looking for on their, but several other
      documents she had forgotten to back up.  See ZAR in action here.

Right Tool for the
      Job?

ZAR is not a tool we use everyday. Luckily whenever we have needed it, it has
      never failed to step up and perform like a champ. On a few occasions we have even used it on
      servers with failed RAID arrays to reconstruct the data contained on them, and
      it has never let us down. ZAR will
      become a wonderful tool in your network toolbox, and it most assuredly is the
      Right Tool for the Job.

Write your own review

newsletters.

by rupesh.krishna ·

In reply to Data Recorvery for those special times

Can it recover the data which was currupted by blackmal virus
        This virus has currupted all the msoffice files irrespective of the file size all these files became 1 kb
        when we try to open these files ” data error (47 0F 94 93 F4 K5) ” this is the only messege we were able to see
        can the data be recovered using this tool

by fungus-among-us ·

I recently purchased this software (about 2 weeks ago). A week later I got to officially “use it” on a hard drive that was stuck in the Windows XP boot loop. Aparently the computer owner shut off his PC during a Media Player Codec download. After this hard boot (cause he didn’t want the codec), his PC got stuck in the “this program was not properly shut down/started – please select a startup method” loop. Before he heard about my services, he took his PC to one of my competetors, who spent 2 weeks trying to recover important data and tax files. After that tech gave up, the owner heard about my services through a co-worker of his. I was contacted and told him, I’d see what I could recover, but also used a disclaimer that nothing was guaranteed. Not sure what the other tech did or didn’t do. ZAR to the rescue!!! Removed the Drive from his system, connected it to an external drive case, and plugged it into my main rig. ZAR saw the drive in question, even though Windows did not. (As long as the drive can been seen by the BIOS – if you connect it directly to the mobo, you’re good to go). ZAR found 42GB worth of data on a 40GB drive (???!!!!???), I was able to recover about 8GB worth of mp3s, turbotax files, floorplan files and the “My Documents” folder. No need to recover application files or folders, but I did notice alot of his MP3 files were unrecoverable. The ZAR application paid for itself on it’s first use! It is now an essential part of my toolbox!

by josh.hoskins ·

I don’t know if it can recover files from the virus, but you can download a free trial from their website and try.  The trial will let you recover 4 files.  If it works, you can then just purchase a license code from the site.

by robbi_ia ·

I never imagined that I would need to use this software so soon after reading this review.  Last week, one of our remote offices called to say that their computer was stuck in a reboot loop. This is a computer that is not connected to the internet or our network, so I was unable to remotely access it.  I decided to bring it into the shop, copy their files off the drive and reimage the drive.  I slaved their drive into another machine, and Windows informed me the drive was not formatted.  Then I remembered the review of ZAR, so I downloaded the trial, and it worked like a champ.  I paid for a full version and was able to recover nearly all of their files, and especially the most urgent, a database.  (of course, they had backup procedures, but had not been following them!)  I’ve already passed the review along with my own along to a few friends in the business.  

Virtualization Pains

by josh.hoskins ·

Virtualization
      is rapidly becoming a major force in I.T. With Microsoft’s release
      of Virtual Server R2 Enterprise Edition for free (available
      here
      ) and VMWare releasing VMWare Server (formally GSX Server)
      for free (available here)
      actualization has been a hot topic in many shops. It came as no
      surprise that virtualization wave hit my own company. When the
      choice to use Microsoft’s product was made, we found the
      virtulization process itself was fairly simple (see Right Tool
      article here).
      The next step was to look at migrating our real server to our new
      virtualzied environment.

The
      Job

We needed to find a way to migrate
      our real servers to virtual. Some of these were simple, as it was as
      simple as installing a new server and migrating the function. A few
      back end DNS changes and users were none the wiser. Unfortunately,
      we could not do this with all of our servers. We wanted a way to
      move our current environments to virtual’s with only a minimum of
      user downtime. The best way to do this was with imaging software.

The
      Tool

We decided to use the Virtual
      Server Migration Toolkit from Microsoft (available here).
      This tool managed to make it high on our list due mainly to the
      price (free). This tool makes use of another Microsoft tool,
      Automated Deployment Services, to take an image of a physical server,
      create the new virtual server, and then deploy the image to the
      virtual server. From the initial information we read this did not
      seem to be the best of the imaging tools, but it did meet our main
      requirement, price. Using the V.S.M.T. was not an easy intuitive
      process. This mostly command line tool required a good deal of
      effort to set up, and make work. It also required us to create
      another server to run the Automated Deployment Services and the
      V.S.M.T. Itself. While these could have been run from one of our
      Virtual Server servers, company policy prevents us from installing
      un-needed services on production servers.

Putting
      the Virtual Server Migration Toolkit to the Test

Using the V.S.M.T. consists of
      several steps. The first step (after properly preparing your
      physical server) is to gather your hardware information with the
      gatherhw tool. This is a simple command line tool that generates an
      XML file containing pertinent information regarding the physical
      system. You will then use the hwvalidate switch of the vmscript to
      validate the XML file created in the previous step. This will tell
      you if there are any needed patches are incompatibilities in your
      physical system. After correcting any issues, you will then use the
      vmscript command again to create a series of scripts to perform the
      final parts of the migration. One of the great powers of the
      V.S.M.T. lies in this. The scripts created are simple batch files,
      so you are free to edit them as you wish. This gives a LOT of power
      to you as the administrator in creating and customizing your virtual
      machines, though you must be careful as you can also cause yourself
      many problems if you edit settings you are unsure about. The next
      step you will perform is the capture of the virtual machine. You
      will have already created a script to do this
      (%sourcemachinename%_createvm.cmd). Running this step will create
      all of the necessary jobs in A.D.S. to take the image of the physical
      computer. Once this is done, you will need to reboot your physical
      server, and set it up for PXE boot. Once you have taken your image,
      you will then create your virtual machine with another script
      (%sourcemachinename%_createvm.cmd). This will create your virtual
      machine on the target Virtual Server, and place the proper boot
      floppy image in the systems floppy drive. You will then run the
      %sourcemachinename%_deployvm.cmd script to push your image to the
      newly created virtual machine. As with the image capture step, this
      script creates all the necessary jobs within ADS to do this. After
      this you will need to install the Virtual Machine Additions to your
      newly virtualized server, along with installing any necessary drivers
      for the new hardware. Your new system will be identical to your old
      system. You can even set the system to clone the MAC address of your
      old system if that is needed. You can view a walkthrough of the process here.

Right
      Tool for the Job?

Without a doubt the Virtual Server
      Migration Toolkit is a difficult tool to work with, but after a few
      uses though the difficulty of the tool really seemed to fade away.
      Also, this tool does give you a lot of power in the migration
      processes. With the use of ADS and the created scripts you are in
      full control of the migration from. By the time we had migrated our
      first 10 servers using this tool seemed as easy as copying a file,
      and it never failed to the job we set it out to do. After the
      initial learning curve was reached, the Virtual Server Migration
      Toolkit really proved itself to be the Right Tool for the Job.

Write your own review

newsletters.

Virtualization Pains

by lostpaddler ·

In reply to Virtualization Pains

This is one of the most useful articles I’ve found on TechRepublic.  Thanks for a great tip!

All purpose network scanner for free.

by josh.hoskins ·

The Job

Do you know what is going on on your network? Do you really know? Are you sure?
      Well if you are anything like us, you like to think you fairly good idea
      of what’s going on, but you could always know more. Unfortunately, budget constraints (a sad sad
      factor of my life) limited the tools I could use. Initial searching came up somewhat lacking as
      most of the tools available were for *Nix operation systems. Luckily once again diligent searching (and
      Google) led me to another freeware tool, NetBrute by rawlogic software. NetBrute is an all purpose scanner that runs
      on Windows based systems.

The Tool

NetBrute is an all purpose security scanner. It contains three different scanners. The first scanner is named NetBrute. It is a Windows share scanner. It will scan an individual computer or a
      range of IP address for shares. You can
      specify whether it will scan for disk shares, print shares, or both. Once the scan is run, the right pane will
      display results by IP address (it will only show systems that have shares, it
      will not display systems with no results).
      You can the drill down on each IP address to see what is shared. The
      second tool is a port scanner. One of
      the nicer features of this port scanner is that it comes with a list of commonly
      used ports. You can use this list to
      scan a computer (or a range of IP?s) for this list of ports, a specific port,
      or all IP ports. You can also create a separate
      text file with specific ports in it. You
      can then use this list as the ports it will scan. On a side note, I will recommend convincing
      your firewall guy to turn on verbose logging, and then scan all ports of the
      firewall, multiple times. The resulting
      panic is hilarious. The last of the
      tools is called WebBrute. This is a
      brute force password attack designed to be run against web sites. While this tool can be used for many
      nefarious purposes, it is highly useful in testing the security of your
      password secured websites. You can
      easily download username and password files from the internet, run them through
      WebBrute, and see if any of your accounts are found. This is a great way of testing if your
      security policies are sufficient, and to see where you are lacking. See NetBrute in action here.

Putting NetBrute to
      the Test

We began using to NetBrute to look for open shares on our
      network. After running the check on our
      DHCP range we found several users who were sharing music, and one who had an
      open share containing nothing but pirated software. We took care of this issue immediately. After this we were all impressed with how
      easy NetBrute had been to use and how effective it had been. We
      then began an attack (during 3rd shift) against our web mail system,
      looking for easily cracked username and password combinations. This revealed some holes in our password policy
      that were not aware of. The Port Scan
      utility quickly became a favorite, as we used it immediately on finding a rouge
      IP address on our network. This has been
      able to assist in not only tracking down the rouge box, but also quickly determining
      the threat level of the box.

Right Tool for the
      Job?

Most of the I.T. department in my company has been using
      NetBrute for several years now. It has
      proven itself over and over again. While
      it is possible to find other tools that may perform the individual functions
      better, the overall package of NetBrute cannot be beat. Also, most of its competitors run on *nix
      based operating systems, so for those of us in Windows world this is a great
      package to have available. It really is
      the Right Tool for the Job.

Write your own review

newsletters.

by pkr9 ·

In reply to All purpose network scanner for free.

Strange,

Netbrute is listed as spyware at several websites:
        www3.ca.com (Computer associates)
        http://www.spywaredb.com
        http://www.pestpatrol.com

and a lot of other sites.

Tool or spyware ?? Friend or foe ??

by tech_monkey ·

Considering what this tool and many others perform and whose point of view, it could be considered spyware. Would you want the average user running a port scanner, sniffer etc.. on your network ? Tool in the hands of a tech., threat in the hands of the average user.

by josh.hoskins ·

I understand why some would classify this tool as spyware, but I disagree.  This tool being installed on a system does no damage nor have any negative effects.  The use of this tool though can be used as a hacking tool, but I don’t see how the potential to do to damage (with the corresponding intent) equates to a negative product.  Especially in one that has positive uses.

by vnn0003atpvt ·

Download for free??? Where’s the link???? Your title is misleading. Furthermore, the link I discovered on my own is broke to rawlogic.com (the alleged owner of this tool). The last update I could find on this file was 2003 from any download links such as PC World, etc. Just too may questions here about the company, updates, up-to-date?, etc. to be comfortable using it (assuming I could find a place to download it) for security purposes for any corporate environment. I think I’ll stick with Nessus, Nmap, etc. as proven tools.

by ni70 ·

You can download NetBrute from PC World Downloads .

Viewing 23 reply threads