Question

• Creator
    Topic

Blue Screen of Death – STOP: 0x0000007E

by vennsoh ·

Hi Guys,

I need some help here.

2 days ago after I closed off my laptop lid, my laptop went into hibernation mode.
    After that, the laptop is having some trouble trying to wake up. I remembered I saw an error message saying something like “Windows has failed to wake up from hibernation”. So I have no other choices but to restart.

Ever since then, I start to get an error.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880070C25C6, 0xFFFFF880009A8B78, 0xFFFFF880009A83D0)

Here I attach a screenshot.
    http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8445/img20120718083504.jpg

I can’t get into Windows. Everytime I try, I will be presented with the blue screen of death.

I tried booting in safe mode but in vain. I will get stucked at Classpnp.sys
    http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3418/img20120718085116.jpg

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 8GB Ram, 2GB Graphics

Thanks,
    Venn.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by vennsoh ·

In reply to Blue Screen of Death – STOP: 0x0000007E

Clarifications

My progress

by vennsoh ·

This is what I have gotten so far.

So this is what I have done:
      1) Boot with Windows 7 CD.

2) When I am in Windows (language selection), I triggered the command prompt by doing Shift + F10. (Good trick!)

3) I realize the drive I am currently running is X: where my usual running drive C: has turned into D: and C: has turned into Recovery.
      Screenshot: http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3638/img20120718125835.jpg

4) That is not a big problem as I can change drive using simple DOS command.

5) The problem came, when I was told I can’t run Chkdsk unless I dismount the drive as the volume is in used by another. All opened handles to this volume would be invalid if I force a dismount.

6) As I am tired of waiting so I force dismount it and let Chkdsk /r runs.

Here I attach a photo of what I am looking at.
      http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5895/img20120718130207.jpg

– – –

Do you guys foresee any future problems?
      What happens later? Do I need to mount the drive back? If yes, how?

I will update you guys my progress.

Thanks,
      Venn.

X: drive

by rob kuhn ·

X: drive is actually a RAM Drive that was created when you booted off the Win 7 DVD.

Some basic quesions so apologies if you’ve already tried them:

1. How much free space do you have on the boot drive? Since you mentioned that the problem happened after hibernation perhaps the hibernation file has consumed too much space on the boot drive thus not allowing the OS to boot.

2. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

3. What happens if you select “Last known good configuation” ?

4. Don’t suppose you created a recovery CD/DVD? If so have you tried it?

Solution.

by vennsoh ·

Alright, it seems that Chkdsk can’t help fix the bad sectors I have on my hard disk.
      I have no choice but to backup my files and reformat it. That’s the best I can do.

Reponse To Answer

by beck.joycem ·

In reply to Solution.

Maybe the hibernation file is corrupted. If you can boot to the Win 7 CD again you might be able to simply delete it. You’ll possibly run into some variation on the theme of not being allowed. Any way you can take the HD out and hook it up to someone else’s ‘pooter in a caddy? Then you could delete the hibernation file, and run a chkdsk.

Failing that, as you say, it’s rebuild time. If you have bad sectors on the drive, you might like to think about a new drive – they don’t tend to heal up spontaneously.

Possibility

by retheesh.r18 ·

Hi, It may be the problem either with the harddrive or with Hard disk controller. please change the SATA cable also. If the Harddisk working properly(as slave) from other PC, take backup quickly.

by machinegun_kelly ·

I’ve fixed that before, I think it was related to AMD64 bit drivers, can’t really remember its been so long, I think I had to reset the laptop by taking battery out and powering on with out the battery and holding down the power button to do the reset, there is a driver fix for AMD64 bit CPU’s that have this problem. I’m surprised you haven’t got more answers out of the 200 web sites you’ve posted your problem on. Since then I’ve never used Hibernation mode and don’t recommend it.

Finding a HDD replacement.

by vennsoh ·

Hi Machinegun Kelly.

Thanks for the reply.
      Sorry for the multiple postings on different forums as I am desperate.

I have formatted my laptop. Did a reinstall. Everything is up and running again.

I got a Dell laptop and I have done a diagnosis using the 32bit Dell Diagnosis Utility tool that comes with my laptop. It seems that my SATA has many bad sectors.

I am thinking of replacing it as I got a feeling the SATA is dying soon. So can I just get any HDD and fix it into my laptop or do I need to make sure the HDD works with my motherboard, etc?

Any pointers in finding a HDD that works?
      If you need any information about my laptop do let me know.

Thanks,
      Venn.

Reponse To Answer

by l_creech ·

In reply to Finding a HDD replacement.

You’ll need to get another SATA 2.5 inch drive. You’ll also want to be comfortable working with very small screws as there are a few to remove and replace during the hard disc swap process. Depending on your needs this could be a good time to get a larger 7200RPM disc or possibly make the move to SSD and see a nice performance boost with less overall data storage, but better battery life.

Depending on your Dell you may have to swap a drive carrier from the original drive to the new drive.

Make sure you have a good backup of your important data, probably best to use your Dell System discs to install Windows on the new drive and not clone potentially corrupt files from the old drive.

Scan with SFC

by jbaker.it ·

1. Boot into Windows Recovery Mode

2. Open command prompt

3. Type:

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows

It should work!

in case it’s useful

by vgraux ·

Hello,
      1) I feel that you’re stuck rebilding a hard disk. AFAIK, that kind of BSoD-loop never gets fixed using software tools (see http://www.fecj.org/extra/UNRECOVERABLE_UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME_BSoD_Windows.htm for a similar problem, on a SSD :/ )

2) try normal diagnostics and solutions, but prepare for the end conclusion : your hard drive (or mobo controller :/ ) is fried so my best advice would be to IMMEDIATELY MAKE A DATA BACKUP, targetting data you can’t afford to lose and the configuration and settings of your most important tools (eg, webserver config, email and ftp clients config etc)
      For this, the linux LiveCD is a good solution

good luck 😉

VGR
      ——————–
      edainworks.com

Viewing 8 reply threads