General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Can Linux be installed on a Mac?

by dkeith45 ·

I have an old G4 powermac I got in a trade for a PC repair. It’s a decent system for an old timer with OSX Panther 10.3.5, 512mb of ram, a DVD drive and two hard drives. Problem is, Panther is so old at this point that it’s tough to find software that will work on it… and I’ve been unable to upgrade it because I don’t know the Admin password, nor does it’s previous owner, as he got it from a closed down trucking company.

So, I was wondering, is it possible to install a Linux distrib. like Ubuntu on it?

I have no idea, as I’m just this week toying with Linux which I’ve installed on a spare drive for my PC.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Probably,

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Can Linux be installed on a Mac?

but give it a shot. What do you have to lose?

Yellow Dog

by cpubymike ·

it is basically the Fedora port for the PPC arch.

Tale told I hear its good never used it myself

Go to distrowatch.com

http://distrowatch.com/search.php

Click on the PPC box under Achitectures and it should pull up everything.

I would personally recomend Debian if you can get all the drivers working right.

Than once you got it working the way you like you can use a package called remastersys backup to remaster your system into a live cd/dvd that you can reinstall later in case you mess up somehow

Email me if you need deets

You can install any Linux you like

by tig2 ·

I like to keep a Mac partition for grins but you can install any flavor of Linux that floats your boat and it will run beautifully- at least in my experience.

Build a partition and choose your Linux. Works great.

EdUbuntu

by dkeith45 ·

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll look into Yellowdog.

I tried first, to install Ubuntu 9.04, then 9.10 and the CD’s wouldn’t even boot on the Mac, but booted fine on my PC.

Then someone on the Ubuntu forum suggested EdUbuntu 6.06 PPC. It installed perfectly and looks great. It’s a bit old tho, and I can’t upgrade to current versions of many programs such as Firefox.. but, maybe I don’t need to.

Thanks again.

If you’re still using Edubuntu try

by cpubymike ·

In reply to EdUbuntu

downloading .deb packages directly and installing them with gdebi.

On the other hand you should be able to get a source file for Firefox and make && make install with it. If not Firefox you definately can with Iceweasel.

You do want to make sure any debs you get are PPC or no arch.

As far as this goes though Yellow Dog is more actively maintained.
        It may be in your best interest to go that route.

PPC is available for Debian

by j-mart ·

You can download an ISO here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/powerpc/iso-cd/

and take your pick. You only need to download either a net install version, CD-1 Kde-CD1 ot XFace-CD1 and install rest via internet using a mirror.

Many distros have a PPC version so by googling around you should be able to find something to your liking.

PPC is available for Debian

by j-mart ·

You can download an ISO here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/powerpc/iso-cd/

and take your pick. You only need to download either a net install version, CD-1 Kde-CD1 ot XFace-CD1 and install rest via internet using a mirror.

Many distros have a PPC version so by googling around you should be able to find someting to your liking.

Viewing 5 reply threads