Question

Can NOT Send E-Mails Outlook 2003

By jmkatz ·
Since April 16th (right after a big storm) we (2 computers on the same home network) have not been able to send e-mail from our Outlook 2003 but have been able to receive e-mail. Outlook 2003 was working properly for several years before this happened on two computers at the same time. Our internet connection works in both computers as well.

We get the following error; Task 'mail.comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

When I go into Outlook to the test the system I get the following errors; Send test e-mail message; The specified server was found, but there was no response. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings close this dialog, then click MoreSettings and click on the Advanced tab. And
Find outgoing mail server (SMTP); Outlook could not connect to the outgoing mail server (STMP). The problem could be the server name or port, or your server may not support SSL. Verify your port and SSL settings in the More Settings under the Advanced tab

I have called our ISP provider a number of times and have checked everything possible in both computers; they tell me that I have a software issue. My ISP provides a web based e-mail & we are able to send e-mails from there but not in Outlook.

Our ISP maintains that since the web based mail works I have a software issue, not an issue with their SMTP server. All of the settings in Outlook have been checked along with shutting off the anti-virus software and the appropriate firewalls.

This happened, at the same time, with 2 different computers, that were both working fine prior to this. Can someone please help me? Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

32 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

On both computers go into thee settings and delete them

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Can NOT Send E-Mails Outl ...

Then recreate then and that may fix the problem. It's not uncommon in Outlook to have user corruptions occurring and when they do the fastest way out of the problem is to delete both the incoming & Outgoing Mail Servers and then set them up again.

Col

Collapse -

Or

by mickspring In reply to Can NOT Send E-Mails Outl ...

The above should work, although I had a similar problem today and fixing it was quite easy. Try clicking on Tools, select email accounts, select view or change email accounts and click next. Select your mail account and click on the Change button. On the initial page ensure SPA is unchecked. Click on more settings, select Outgoing Server tab and uncheck SMTP server option. Click on OK and then test account settings. As you said, you checked everything so discard this advice if done. GL.

Collapse -

Same problem

by tuyen In reply to Can NOT Send E-Mails Outl ...

I was able to add on another computer but not my laptop....any clues?

Collapse -

Comcast issue

by briankoski In reply to Same problem

We had same problem here - started about 4 days ago (4/30-5/1). Can Rcv, but not send (SMTP) to smtp.comcast.net. I run Thunderbird, wife has Outlook2003, different firewalls even. I troubleshooted this as far as I can (nothing changed on our end). Does not even get as far as prompting for authentication (netstat says "smtp.comcast.net:smtp SYN_SENT"). Called the useless helpdesk, tried changing port 25 > 587. They mentioned redoing accounts, but hey, 2 different clients and somehow 'we' are corrupted? Seeing how we aren't the only ones, then it is a comcast network problem as far as I can tell.
Don't know what to do at this point, but fwd my mails to my yahoo...

Collapse -

Comcast Problem??

by jmkatz In reply to Comcast issue

I really think it is their problem as well but, I was told by Comcast that since the send works on the web based e-mail they think it's my software. A couple of the so called customer service reps were very nasty to top it off!

Collapse -

Solution

by briankoski In reply to Comcast Problem??

I found this on another forum, it worked for me as well:
Change smtp port to 465, enable SSL. Then when you reconnect, accept the Cert., and re-authenticate (you may have to temporarily disable password-saves until you are re-prompted).
I did this successfully on both Thunderbird and Outlook clients.
I am sure the helpdesk tech had no idea, but it boils down to lying when they claim they made no changes or have no server issues & then blame your software (technically it is a software config issue - but it's not our fault if they don't tell us what they are doing to change it!).

Collapse -

Outlook is Fixed!!!

by jmkatz In reply to Solution

Thank you sooo much! I applied your fix & it worked! Sorry for the delay I was in the hospital but am well now.
I do NOT care for Comcast & I think that what you say is true.

Collapse -

Really Cool Solution

by cyrus In reply to Solution

I was having the same problem in a Vista Business Environment using Outlook 2007. This solution worked perfectly

Collapse -

Excellent

by arthur In reply to Solution

Many thanks Brian. You fixed an issue that only recently has plagued me when traveling overseas. Thank you.

Collapse -

unfortunately, fix not working for me

by parkerjarnigan In reply to Solution

i tried switching to port 465 and enabling SSL, but i still get the error message "unable to send test message. please verify the email address field"

i talked to live customer support for a few minutes after i had already switched from port 25 to port 587. basically, they said the same thing: "webmail works, you have a software problem please contact microsoft."

i think that is really lame, b/c outlook legitimately can't help people configure b/c the settings are ISP-dependent.

so, does anyone have any new ideas on this one? i do think it's odd that I can find the outgoing server, just not send a test message.

Back to Networks Forum
32 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next