Question

Can server 2008R2 replace all my other servers?

By jkfreejam ·
Hi,
My company has 4 locations, one of which is the corp. office. Each location has its own Win NT file/print server and Win NT exchange server. If I were to install the server 2008R2 at the corp. office location, can I get rid of all the other servers at all of the locations and access and use the one server 2008R2 from all locations? I will be upgrading all 60+ PCs to Windows 7 pro.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Well in theory you can

by OH Smeg In reply to Can server 2008R2 replace ...

But it's not going to be cheap and when you have a Internet Outage from any of the Branch Offices they will be unable to do any work.

When you have a Internet Outage at the Head Office the entire company will be unable to work.

All that is required in Theory is to create VPN from each of the branch offices to the Head Office or at least the office where the server is located and distribute from there over the VPN/s.

It will also mean a massive increase in Net Traffic and depending on the available connections may be too slow to be workable. As you'll need Data Transfer from the Server over the VPN in Real Time you may find that it's very expensive and to be perfectly honest its not the best way to proceed.

Col

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums