General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Can thou live on one browser alone?

by excelciors ·

It’s my first time to write so please bear with me. It just struck me after having to reformat my PC that I cannot live on 1 browser alone. I have actually 3 (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), and I’m not using 1 (Internet Explorer). Anybody have the same collection of browsers as I have? Want to suggest your favorite browser?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Actually, I’ve used Firefox, and only Firefox for about six years.

by deadly ernest ·

In reply to Can thou live on one browser alone?

prior to that I used only Avant Browser for several years.

edit = O

does your firefox crash once you’ve loaded around 20 web pages?

by excelciors ·

In reply to Actually, I’ve used Firefox, and only Firefox for about six years.

that’s so far what’s been happening to me. that’s the reason for switching to many browsers. i’m a loyal firefox user once. in essence, each browser has it’s own good and bad side. thanks for the feedback.

No, it doesn’t – funny you should ask that as I asked my son about

by deadly ernest ·

In reply to does your firefox crash once you’ve loaded around 20 web pages?

his system on Saturday.

I run a Linux install, up to last weekend it was Kubuntu 8.04, and is now SimplyMepis 8. With both I use FireFox, currently 3.09 – My current system has 4 GB RAM, the previous one had 2 GB. My son’s system has 4 GB RAM – all are 64 bit P4s.

I regularly have twenty or thirty tabs open at a time, especially when reading TR discussions as I open each post in a separate tab, opening all I want to read in that discussion at once. And sometimes have two, three, or four FireFox windows open. Yesterday, at one point, I had four instances of FF open with a total of fifty-three tabs open – I had to check out of sheer curiosity.

My son uses Win XP Pro 32 bit – and he regularly has ten to fourteen Firefox Windows open, each with between twenty-five to fifty tabs open. The other day I asked and he had eleven windows open and a total of five hundred and sixty-five tabs open between them. he gets involved with a lot of forums and has a window for each forum type, and similar type events.

When doing a lot of research for a story I open another FF window and have numerous tabs open in that, while my initial FF window is still open with all my forum tabs – TR, WB, SOL GG, Renderosity, SOL itself, and any sub thread tabs off them. As I write this I’ve got thirty-two tabs open. Thirty-one after I send and close this one.

I find a couple of good add-ons and FF does everything I want, but then I don’t use RSS or streaming video much, while my son does.

edit = O

good god….

by —tk— ·

In reply to No, it doesn’t – funny you should ask that as I asked my son about

So I guess FF took care of the memory leak they use to have… 🙂

I never saw a memory leak problem, neither did my son (nt)

by deadly ernest ·

In reply to good god….

If thou is I, NO

by thetreverj ·

I have recently became a fan of Chrome….but i have always liked the clean and crisp format of firefox as well….I still have Internet Explorer installed, but only use it in times of extreme stress….(and that is usually by accident) Depending upon the task….such as downloading, or surfing, i will use different browsers for personal preferences.

same goes for me

by excelciors ·

In reply to If thou is I, NO

each browser has his role to play. when i feel like a clean geek, i use chrome. i don’t know, but some sites here in the Philippines do require Internet Explorer to access their site. I guess we still can’t do without them. thanks so much for the reply.

Only until Firefox offends me

by santeewelding ·

Then, I pluck it out.

Why three?

by jdclyde ·

I tried Opera last year but there were just to many pages that wouldn’t load correctly, so I would have to close it and go back with FF anyways.

I have been exclusive with FF (except for trying Opera) for well over two years now and no reason to change now.

What does Chrome give me that FF doesn’t?

And yes, the first thing I do is get all of my users OFF IE as a browser.

the secret behind…

by excelciors ·

In reply to Why three?

good question. each browser has it’s moods and features. i use firefox when i do web programming using xampp at the background (i’m not sure why). i use opera to house all of the community sites that have my saved user & pass (e.g. friendster, facebook, etc.) that way, when i open opera, it loads all of them in 1 browser. and lastly, chrome. i use this to surf the web. it has a clean feel to it. like working on a big table with only your computer and nothing else on it. thanks jdclyde for your feedback.

Look into the FF plugin “morning coffee”

by jdclyde ·

In reply to the secret behind…

You set the pages, and when you launch FF it spawns a tab for each of the sites you want.

I prefer the bookmark toolbar along the top because I don’t like to wait for the multiple pages to load evertime when I don’t go to them everytime.

I might check out chrome, but running FF with adblock has been serving me well.

I must admit

by shellbot ·

that I’m still only using IE..
      haven’t tried any other browser in years..

however, I plan to try out FF this weekend at home and see what I think of it..

What can I say, I’m a creature of habit 🙂

Tried Chrome for about 15 minutes then got rid of it.

by ontheropes ·

I use FF3 quite often. I like the StumbleUpon add-on.
      I really like Opera for speed, especially when browsing long, 500+posts, at TR. Opera is super-fast compared to FF for the same discussion. I do all of my TR browsing with Opera and have no issues with it.
      I only use IE to get MS opdates.

I run Firefox only. Now, excelciors, it’s your turn.

by charliespencer ·

Turning the question around, what do you do with three? What determines which one you use for a particular purpose or site?

Edited – I posed my questions before I read your other answers. I tried Chrome twice but couldn’t see any reason to run a browser that had only a subset of Firefox’s capabilities. I’ve never tried Opera; I have no reason to do so. I’m not sure what you mean by a ‘clean’ look.

I guess I can’t

by jellimonsta ·

I pretty much use IE (for business sites that I must), Opera, FF, Chrome and Safari on my XP system(s). I mostly just use FF for my Ubuntu JJ box at home.

I only keep two extras browsers installed

by slayer_ ·

Avant and Orca. I am not a fan of the FF interface and lack of built in interface options. I don’t like the trial and error of addons either.

My third would be Opera. Though I dislike how Opera handles activeX (Seems to just download them without asking) it loads pages nice and fast and gives you plenty of options for the interface.

On Linux systems I am commited to Opera for the same reasons. Though if Orca ever made a port to Nix, I would use that.

At work I use Avant because I need a trident browser for most of my work. Though my default browser stays as IE7 to prevent funny issues with things like WebEx which misbehaves on tabbed browsers.

FF and IE

by the ‘g-man.’ ·

IE just for the .net applications I need to use at work. FF for all others.

At home just FF.

Ditto

by notsochiguy ·

In reply to FF and IE

I’d like to scrap IE entirely…but they keep bringing in systems that need it.

BLAH!!

Add Chrome…

by ed woychowsky ·

In reply to FF and IE

I like it for watching Hulu.

You mean

by jdclyde ·

In reply to FF and IE

“they” let you go home? :0

Ditto that

by forum surfer ·

In reply to FF and IE

Although MOST of the time ff w/IEtab works for almost anything. I have some cisco log in portals (WCS and WLC) that only seems to work with IE though. Never got it to work with ff but I never tried beyond attempting to use IEtab, either.

Firefox almost exclusively

by nicknielsen ·

The only other browser I use is Internet Exploder, and then only to access the microsoft updates.

I use a variety…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

For work related – I use IE 6/7, FF 2 and 3, Safari and Chrome.

For personal – mainly FF3 though I have found some web site work best with IE, so I’ll switch over.

-Tammy

my browser habits

by jck ·

I use Firefox exclusively at home, unless there is something I can not view on the web without IE…then I reluctantly load it.

IE is the standard at work, but I put IE 3 on the machine at work.

I just don’t trust IE.

Viewing 12 reply threads