Question

• Creator
    Topic

Cannot connect to Cisco PIX 501

by george.kyriacou100 ·

Hi all, i have a cisco pix 501 and have none of its configuration or password information, i dont even know its local ip address. How can i connect to the device??

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by george.kyriacou100 ·

In reply to Cannot connect to Cisco PIX 501

Clarifications

How did you acquire this device?

by deepsand ·

I’ve seen cases where a client has leased/purchased a PIX from an ASP, the PIX now needs to be re-configured, finds out that the ASP has been subsumed by a different company, only the original ASP had record of the Access Code, so that their PIX is now little more than a doorstop.

Hence the question as to how you came to have this device.

Taken from office network

by george.kyriacou100 ·

In reply to How did you acquire this device?

it is from my old workplace, we changed IT companies as the old one hacked us off and as we did not get passed over the details (username, password, etc) from the old company, the new company just ripped this one out and put in a new one to save time.

Been there, done that.

by deepsand ·

In reply to Taken from office network

Unfortunately, unless you can get the old IT company to produce the access code, you’re sunk re. reconfiguring it, unless you can find someone whose has expertise in cracking Cisco PIXs; that’s why the new company replaced it with a new unit.

However, you may still be able to use it. If it was originally used as a gateway, odds are that the internal IP address assigned to it is within a fairly narrow range of commonly used addresses.

The 3 blocks reserved for private, i.e. local networks are

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
          172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
          192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Also, IP addresses in the range of 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255 are reserved for Automatic Private IP Addressing.

If you know, or can find out, the range of IP addresses used by the LAN from which this PIX was used, we can deduce the most likely address(es) assigned to it.

Hmmmm

by george.kyriacou100 ·

In reply to Been there, done that.

No way i can get that info from the old company, what if i wa to take out the lithium battery from inside the unit and then replace it, will this reset it??

cisco docs available to try

by oharaphil ·

In reply to Hmmmm

if you follow: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/34.shtml

See if it helps

thanks for your advice

by george.kyriacou100 ·

In reply to cisco docs available to try

I will have to make up a serial cable for the console port, once i have done that i will try it out, thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Cisco recovery docs worked like a charm

by cruzramirezjr ·

In reply to cisco docs available to try

Hey you guys, I stumbled across these posts while researching how to recover/remove unknown passwords from a Cisco PIX 501 that I have. The documentation posted at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/34.shtml worked like a charm.

I followed the instructions step by step, I connected the PIX to a LAN switch via Ethernet0, assigned it a local LAN address, downloaded solarwinds tftp server as well as the corresponding .bin file for my PIX sotware version. I ran the tftp server on the laptop I was using to console to the PIX, specified my laptops LAN IP as the tftp server, everything work without a hitch, I was able to remove all the passwords.

Thanks a lot for the info!

In that case, …

by deepsand ·

In reply to Hmmmm

since the most commonly used IP range for LANs is the 192.168 block, and the most common practice is to assign the gateway the 1st address in the last octet, so that most have an address of 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.2.1, or 192.168.3.1, etc., you might easily find it via a brute force approach

Additionally, if it might be of help to you, I do have a complete image of Cisco’s 2 CD set for the PIX series.

Was the advice you received here helpful?

by deepsand ·

If so, your marking it here accordingly will be of use to others who seek the same or similar assistance.

Thank you.

I have the same problem mentioned

by jl.roduit ·

In reply to Was the advice you received here helpful?

I have the same problem mentioned and i don’t know how to replace the old settings by the old one’s.

This morning i tried to change the IP address of the pix and now impossible to reach the address I configured.

Any solutations ? thx in advance

bin file hangs?

by pcoleman ·

In reply to I have the same problem mentioned

I have gone through all the above steps and all seems to go well until the file transfer is received. The it just sits there with received 110592 bytes on the screen and never starts running the cisco password reset utility. any suggestions?

here,I think

by mr.ozzy ·

connect your pc to router’s lan port
      and select your pc’s ip to obtain ip address
      and check your pc ip address
      e.g..192.168.0.1
      so..ping to 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254
      if there router’s ip ,reply and you can get your router ip address.

just guess my opinion.
      thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads