Question

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

By fabiola.c.villena ·
I am working witn an end user who has Office 2003.
Everytime she tries to use the "save as" option, chooses a networked location to save the file, she gets the following error "<filename> cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."
The current file she works on is not read only.
She's able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the "Save As" option right from Excel 2003.
I have not been able to find any applicable solutions to this issue for Excel 2003. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

26 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Dose she have

by zlitocook In reply to Cannot Save from Excel 20 ...

Permission to save a file on the network? Most networks are set up so that users have limited access to other parts of the network or no access. A administrator would have to give access and asign permissions to a share.

Collapse -

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location

by fabiola.c.villena In reply to Dose she have

I confirmed with the Server administrators that the user has full rights to the specific directory, subdirectories, and even two levels up in the directory structure on the network.
She can create, edit and delete other types of files from other software programs such as Notepad and MS Word.
The problem seems to be isolated to he tries to the use of the "save as" option within Excel 2003. Only on this case she gets the error: "<filename> cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."

Collapse -

It really sounds as if

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Cannot Save from Excel 20 ...

The User has Restricted rights locally on the workstation that they are using.

They should be set to either Power User or Admin to be able to save to a network drive and it doesn't matter if the LAN Admin has given them the proper rights to edit/save documents if they don't have the correct rights locally the rest will not matter.

But if things are as you say that this user can save things in other programs like Word and it's just Excel that the problem is in I would be looking at a corrupt User Profile being the most likely culprit.

Or there is always the possibility that the Excel document doesn't want for some reason to save to anywhere but locally. Can it be saved locally and the overwrite the file on the Network Share?

Also if there is another person using that same file it will not be possible to save a change or even the entire file while it is in use at another workstation/s.

Col

Collapse -

Same issue, any solutions?

by this_random_person In reply to Dose she have

I too am having this same issue. With both word and excel only, all other apps can write fine. With word, disabling the automatically create a backup copy (tools, options, save, and then uncheck) solved the issue with word. However, I have yet to find a solution with Excel. As this thread was opened some time ago, I am hoping that there is a solution by now! thanks.

-a

Collapse -

re: Save As Issues

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Same issue, any solutions ...

I wasn't involved in the original discussions, so maybe I don't fully understand the problem. But, based on what I've read so far, it appears to be a user problem. If the user is opening the file from a network location, then trying to do a SAVE AS back to the same file name, it won't let them because the file name exists already and is in use because it's open. They should be simply clicking SAVE and not SAVE AS.

Collapse -

save as issues

by this_random_person In reply to re: Save As Issues

clicking the save button yields the same results...

Collapse -

same problem here

by ncr In reply to Cannot Save from Excel 20 ...

I can confirm that I have experinced the same problem.
User have read/write/delete permission to the networked location, file copy/deletion works fine - however trying to save (save/save as) a EXCEL document to the path return same error as initial poster.

I can see the excel is creating the temp file in the same location (since this is where the file initial is opened from), but at some point it seam like it stocks and a timeout is isued (typically when aprox 95% is done).
My networked location is on a 1 Gb wan network, and copy the same file to local mashine takes prox 20 sec (20 Mbyte data)

I asume the problem arrise due to timeout - however I havent found a solution, does anyone know how to solve this (runing office 2003,sp1)
It seam like the problem may have arrised after we switched to a faster MPLS line, but not shhure.

Collapse -

found solution, it seems

by jaybirdfive In reply to same problem here

I was having same problem. Turns out there were two network drives that had the same name and apparently excel was getting confused. ejected one of them and then it worked, no problem.

Collapse -

Have not figured it out yet...

by fabiola.c.villena In reply to Cannot Save from Excel 20 ...

I'm still hearing back from this user. She's still experiencing the same symptoms: Tries to use the "save as" option, chooses a networked location to save the file, she gets the following error "<filename> cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding."
The current file she works on is not read only.
She's able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location, and she's been using this workaround since I initally posted this thread. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the "Save As" option right from Excel 2003.
I confirmed with the Server administrators that the user has full rights to the specific directory, subdirectories, and even two levels up in the directory structure on the network. She also is set as a Local administrator on the machine she's using.
She can create, edit and delete other types of files from other software programs such as Notepad and MS Word.
The problem seems to be isolated to he tries to the use of the "save as" option within Excel 2003. Only on this case she gets the error mentioned above.
I still have not been able to find any applicable solutions to this issue for Excel 2003. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Collapse -

Rights Issue?

What are her rights on the network?

Back to Networks Forum
26 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next

Hardware Forums