Question

• Creator
    Topic

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

by fabiola.c.villena ·

I am working witn an end user who has Office 2003.
    Everytime she tries to use the “save as” option, chooses a networked location to save the file, she gets the following error “ cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.”
    The current file she works on is not read only.
    She’s able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the “Save As” option right from Excel 2003.
    I have not been able to find any applicable solutions to this issue for Excel 2003. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by fabiola.c.villena ·

In reply to Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location.

Clarifications

Dose she have

by zlitocook ·

Permission to save a file on the network? Most networks are set up so that users have limited access to other parts of the network or no access. A administrator would have to give access and asign permissions to a share.

Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location

by fabiola.c.villena ·

In reply to Dose she have

I confirmed with the Server administrators that the user has full rights to the specific directory, subdirectories, and even two levels up in the directory structure on the network.
        She can create, edit and delete other types of files from other software programs such as Notepad and MS Word.
        The problem seems to be isolated to he tries to the use of the “save as” option within Excel 2003. Only on this case she gets the error: “ cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.”

It really sounds as if

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Cannot Save from Excel 2003 to networked location

The User has Restricted rights locally on the workstation that they are using.

They should be set to either Power User or Admin to be able to save to a network drive and it doesn’t matter if the LAN Admin has given them the proper rights to edit/save documents if they don’t have the correct rights locally the rest will not matter.

But if things are as you say that this user can save things in other programs like Word and it’s just Excel that the problem is in I would be looking at a corrupt User Profile being the most likely culprit.

Or there is always the possibility that the Excel document doesn’t want for some reason to save to anywhere but locally. Can it be saved locally and the overwrite the file on the Network Share?

Also if there is another person using that same file it will not be possible to save a change or even the entire file while it is in use at another workstation/s.

Col

Same issue, any solutions?

by this_random_person ·

In reply to Dose she have

I too am having this same issue. With both word and excel only, all other apps can write fine. With word, disabling the automatically create a backup copy (tools, options, save, and then uncheck) solved the issue with word. However, I have yet to find a solution with Excel. As this thread was opened some time ago, I am hoping that there is a solution by now! thanks.

-a

re: Save As Issues

by thumbsup2 ·

In reply to Same issue, any solutions?

I wasn’t involved in the original discussions, so maybe I don’t fully understand the problem. But, based on what I’ve read so far, it appears to be a user problem. If the user is opening the file from a network location, then trying to do a SAVE AS back to the same file name, it won’t let them because the file name exists already and is in use because it’s open. They should be simply clicking SAVE and not SAVE AS.

save as issues

by this_random_person ·

In reply to re: Save As Issues

clicking the save button yields the same results…

same problem here

by ncr ·

I can confirm that I have experinced the same problem.
      User have read/write/delete permission to the networked location, file copy/deletion works fine – however trying to save (save/save as) a EXCEL document to the path return same error as initial poster.

I can see the excel is creating the temp file in the same location (since this is where the file initial is opened from), but at some point it seam like it stocks and a timeout is isued (typically when aprox 95% is done).
      My networked location is on a 1 Gb wan network, and copy the same file to local mashine takes prox 20 sec (20 Mbyte data)

I asume the problem arrise due to timeout – however I havent found a solution, does anyone know how to solve this (runing office 2003,sp1)
      It seam like the problem may have arrised after we switched to a faster MPLS line, but not shhure.

found solution, it seems

by jaybirdfive ·

In reply to same problem here

I was having same problem. Turns out there were two network drives that had the same name and apparently excel was getting confused. ejected one of them and then it worked, no problem.

Have not figured it out yet…

by fabiola.c.villena ·

I’m still hearing back from this user. She’s still experiencing the same symptoms: Tries to use the “save as” option, chooses a networked location to save the file, she gets the following error “ cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.”
      The current file she works on is not read only.
      She’s able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location, and she’s been using this workaround since I initally posted this thread. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the “Save As” option right from Excel 2003.
      I confirmed with the Server administrators that the user has full rights to the specific directory, subdirectories, and even two levels up in the directory structure on the network. She also is set as a Local administrator on the machine she’s using.
      She can create, edit and delete other types of files from other software programs such as Notepad and MS Word.
      The problem seems to be isolated to he tries to the use of the “save as” option within Excel 2003. Only on this case she gets the error mentioned above.
      I still have not been able to find any applicable solutions to this issue for Excel 2003. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Rights Issue?

by teaching information systems ·

What are her rights on the network?

Re: Rights Issue?

by fabiola.c.villena ·

In reply to Rights Issue?

I confirmed with the Server administrators that the user has full rights to the specific directory, subdirectories, and even two levels up in the directory structure on the network. She also is set as a Local administrator on the machine she’s using.

One thing to check

by kjell_andorsen ·

One thing I occasionally see in cases like this is when a Network administrator has given a user full NTFS permissions for a directory, but has left the share permissions at the default “Read only” level. One thing to check is to have her create a word document or some other file and save it to the directory in question.

Re: One thing to check

by fabiola.c.villena ·

In reply to One thing to check

The file in question is not read only.
        She’s able to save the file to her local machine, then copies and pastes it successfully to the desired networked location, and she’s been using this workaround since I initally posted this thread. But, of course, as all end users demand, she wants to be able to use the “Save As” option right from Excel 2003.
        She can create, edit and delete other types of files from other software programs such as Notepad and MS Word 2003.
        The problem seems to be isolated to the use of the “save as” option within Excel 2003. Only on this case she gets the error mentioned above.

Just out of curiosity

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Re: One thing to check

There are not more than 1 person with access to this Excel file are there?

If more than one person at a time is entering data or has the file open what you are describing is exactly what should be happening. As this user is attempting to use Excel as a Network DBase program when it’s actually a desktop application only and can not accept input from different sources. If that’s the case you are using the wrong Product and need to switch to M$ SQL not Excel.

If that’s not the case and as other things in Office are working properly I would give M$ a call to find out what their software is doing as you are only having this problem with 1 application in Office. They may have a known problem and a solution available for Excel.

Col

Excel 2003

by v-sadathulla.sharief ·

In reply to Re: One thing to check

Hi

Can anyone flash some light cannot save a excel file on network “disk full” we tried best to resolve but unforunate nothing working out ..i kindly need to check with M$ or technet…

Same issue even locally and I am the admin

by pete.edelberg ·

It seems that our order forms which we have been using (same VBA code) for over a year stopped working since MS January patches. Has nothing to do with Network shares. Our current workaround is to save the file with a different name first in Windows Explorer, work away on the file and simply click ‘Save’ when done – no problems. I have approached several VBA MVPs on this and they can’t figure it out. Has anyone contacted Microsoft directly or checked Technet?

Experiencing the same thing

by dave.classick ·

I just wrote a macro today that attempts to save to a network drive to which i have full permissions.

Get the same error.

hopefully there is a response posted to this thread.

Same problem but in Excel 2007

by allisenw ·

In reply to Experiencing the same thing

I am having the same problem in Excel 2007. The user is opening up a spreadsheet he uses as a template more or less, doing save as, giving it a different name and it will not allow him to save it. I verified the share is set to Everyone full control and the NTFS persmissions give him and domain admins full control. Just for giggles I propagated his permissions on the folder and subfolders, and that didn’t fix it. He can write, read, rename and everything but cannot save from the Save As box in Excel.

thread is a little old..

by —tk— ·

In reply to Same problem but in Excel 2007

you might want to start a new one… Also I would open the file up… click tools… and click share workbook.

Check Your Firewall Logs

by jim.cooper ·

Same problem here.

Firewall logs show blocked connection attempts from the ‘saving machine’ to port 80 and 88 on the target server.

Did you find a solution? I have same issue.

by floramarie ·

One of my user’s PCs has the same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

Thank you!

Same issue

by nic6666 ·

I have the same issue, trying to save in 97-2003 Workbook (.xls) on two different network location. Having full control right in folder, local admin on my workstation.

I noticed that if i change the filename, i can have it to work. But i still don’t understand the issue. If there is a space in the path and/or filename, it works.

Here are my results :
      untest.xls doesnt work
      untest .xls works (notice the space)

Book1.xls doesnt work
      Book11.xls doesnt work
      Book111.xls doesnt work
      Book1111.xls doesnt work
      Book11111.xls works

untest.xls doesnt work
      untestt.xls doesnt work
      untesttt.xls doesnt work
      untestttt.xls works

Reponse To Answer

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Same issue

A couple of things here.

First it’s probably not a great idea to tag at the end of a 7 year old question and expect much in the way of answers. Start a new question and you’ll get a better response.

Secondly if there is someone else with the same file open when you try to save it then Excel will not be able to save the file no matter what else is happening. It’s one of the things about Excel you can not have more than one person at a time working on the same file and have it savable. 😉

Col

Reponse To Answer

by nic6666 ·

In reply to Same issue

Thanks for your reply. I know i should start a new question but i wanted to talk with someone who had seen the same issue and this post was quite near. (sorry for my english) I posted on a 7year old question and i got a reply in less than 24 hours, thats not bad! 😉

Nobody else has the file open because the file does not exist yet (open excel, new … , save as)

Viewing 10 reply threads