General discussion

Cannot select text in Word2000

By glstowers ·
Periodically I try to select text in Word2000, and even though I hold the left mouse button down and move the cursor toward the other end of my intended selection set, nothing happens. No text is highlighted. Later after a reboot and a lapse of several hours, everything may work fine. Eventually the problem returns. have not seen a particular pattern, it just happens sporadically.

System is a Dell Optiplex GX1 (pentium) with 256 MB of RAM running Windows 98 ver. 4.10.2222A.

Has anyoneexperienced this and found a solution, or at least a documented bug awaiting a fix?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by MCSE Lee In reply to Cannot select text in Wor ...

I haven't heard of any bugs like this, but a couple things to try... swap out the mouse, reinstall Word2000 (or Office2000, as appropriate), check the system cooling fans to make sure they're working okay, and/or check to make sure all programs and/or services are running.

Collapse -

by glstowers In reply to Cannot select text in Wor ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by squagliana In reply to Cannot select text in Wor ...

Do not use mouse for selections. (I am not a fan of pointing devices {and an old pre-mouse user}and rather than leaving the home keys for the mouse it is easier for me to use the shortcut keys)

Use shortcut keys. Control + shift + right arrow key to select individual words (by word if continually Control + shift + right ) or Control + shift + down arrow to select a whole line of text.
A list of shortcut keys can be found in the help - "shortcut keys for selecting text and graphics".

Collapse -

Collapse -

by IMOfficer In reply to Cannot select text in Wor ...

I had a similar problem. In print layout view, it appeared that the text was not selected when I tried to select text with the mouse at the bottom of the page (not necessarily the bottom of the screen). However, I did find that although the text did not appear to be selected on the screen, it actually was selected (when I hit delete, the text disappeared). So far, it has always been text at the bottom of the page, but it is sporadic. After switching to normal view, I no longer have the problem. I have yet to find a solution. Not sure if this is the same thing as what you experienced, but if it is, you may be able to work around it until a solution is found.

I am running Dell Optiplex GX1 (Pentium III) with 128 MB of RAM and Windows NT 4.0 SP6.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums