General discussion

Cant add computer to WIN/2000 Server PDC

By copatlarge ·
Hello all, I have a new windows 2000 server,and I migrated from Win /nt 4.0 domain. I have two domains 1 and 2, and the migration went well except, I have all my machines in the new domain but it will not let me add any new machines. I have to add it to the old domain first (both domains are trusted) then move it to the new. I am new to win2000 server, please help if you can.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dustyD In reply to Cant add computer to WIN/ ...

I'm a bit out of my territorial waters here, but does your account in the new domain include sufficient rights to add machines?

Collapse -

by copatlarge In reply to

Yes, I am logged on as domain admin with full rights

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Cant add computer to WIN/ ...

Check your Win2K DC security policy:

1. Open the Domain Controller Security Policy management console.
2. Expand the Security Settings/Local Policies and click on the User Rights Assignment folder.
3. In the right hand pane, several lines down, you will see "Add workstations to the domain." Be sure that the user ID you are using has been added to this setting. You can add the entire Domain Admins group if you want all domain admins to have this right, or specify individual users.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by copatlarge In reply to

did that, I still get the error "The network location cannot be reached" , I have checked, and the tcp/ip netbios helper are running on clients and server...

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Cant add computer to WIN/ ...

"Network location cannot be reached" points to a DNS or WINS problem. Are you using Active Directory? Is DNS running on the Win2K server? If so, how is it configured? Have you tested DNS resolution to make sure it's working? Is WINS installed and running on either Win2K and/or NT domain? Are you using DHCP or static IP addressing? If DHCP, is this running on the Win2K server? What is your IP addressing scheme?

Answers will generate either new questions or some real advice ;-)

Collapse -

by SamTheDon In reply to Cant add computer to WIN/ ...

ru able to resolve the domain name,while trying to ping the particular network ip.try this,when u try to join any m/c to new domain,first check domain is avavilable for ping requests to all clients....

if yes then,proceed with the network identification wizard in win2k.when u configure that proceed to add that machine to new domain,or if possible,demote the old domain for other activities.

if the m/c is added restart the m/c,it will work....

Collapse -

by SamTheDon In reply to Cant add computer to WIN/ ...

ru able to resolve the domain name,while trying to ping the particular network ip.try this,when u try to join any m/c to new domain,first check domain is avavilable for ping requests to all clients....

if yes then,proceed with the network identification wizard in win2k.when u configure that proceed to add that machine to new domain,or if possible,demote the old domain for other activities.

if the m/c is added restart the m/c,it will work....

Collapse -

by adembo In reply to Cant add computer to WIN/ ...

You simply need to put the IP of the DC in the domain you want to join as a primary or secondary DNS server on the server you want to have join the domain. If you dont have that IP as a DNS, it only stands to reason that it wouldnt know about it since being in separate domains would prevent the DNS records from being copied across.

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)