General discussion

Can't connect Win XP to Win 2000 Server

By Peter.Dominke ·
I cannot connect my WIN XP to WIN 2000 Server to share files and printers. I am running WIN XP SP 2 and WIN 2000 SP 4. I also have WIN 98 Clients in my small network which are able to connet to the WIN 2000 Server. From WIN XP I can't see the other systems and vice versa. What do I have to do on my XP machine ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by EdLockett In reply to Can't connect Win XP to ...

Is the XP machine a member of the domain (ie. does it have an account in active directory)? If not, go into system properties, computer name tab, and use the 'change..' button to join the computer to the domain.

Hope this is useful.

Collapse -

by Peter.Dominke In reply to

I am not working in a domain. My small network is setup as a workgroup, therefore I clicked "Workgroup" within those properties and provided a Workgroup name. All other systems in my network have the same setup and the WIN 98 clients are able to connect to the WIN 2000 server and share resources.
Currently I am not using directory services. Do I have to ?

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Can't connect Win XP to ...

No, you don't have to use Active Directory.

Can you ping the active directory server by both its NetBios name and IP address from the XP workstation that is having the issue?

Does the user account on the XP workstation have rights on the folders on the Windows server?

Collapse -

IP ping from XP to WIN 2000: possible, the other way round: not possible. NetBios ping not possible at all. Account for XP on WIN 2000 has been created, like for WIN 98 workstations which are working perfectly including both ping methods in each direction. I have to add that all systems are connected to a WLAN router which is acting as the DHCP server. Again everything works fine at this network, except WIN XP.

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to Can't connect Win XP to ...

Check the Firewall settings of your XP machine. For testing purposes you can turn it off. Also edit your hosts file (Systemroot\system32\drivers\etc) and add the ip Address and name of your server and also of the PC itself (do the same for your hosts file on the server). You can also add the names and addresses of all your PCs.

Collapse -

I already tried to turn off the fire wall, no success. I am wondering how to map IP addresses in the hosts file, when the IP addresses are assigned dynamically by the DHCP Server, in this case the Router. By using an * ? Which would make no sense to me.

Collapse -

Sorry, I didn't know you were using DHCP. It still looks as if your firewall on the XP Machine is on, because you can't ping it (according to your notice to an answer from another user). Maybe we're not talking about the same firewall. Windows XP installs a Firewall when you apply Servicepack 2, and it enables it by default, and by default you aren't allowed to ping this pc. Maybe you have another, third party firewall installed on this PC?

Collapse -

I had the same problem before I did install SP 2. I hoped to solve the problem with SP 2. I am not aeare of that there is another Firewall installed. How can I turn it off ?

Collapse -

The fact that you can't ping your xp box suggests you have a firewall installed. If you have disabled the built in firewall you get with xp sp2, then you probably have another one, like symantec internet security or zonewall, whatever. You should know what is installed. Could you ping your XP system prior to installing sp2?

Collapse -

You did solve my problem, thank you very much. I indeed was the integrity software firewall installed on my workstations. It assigned "internet" instead of "trusted" to my local network, which blocked the NetBios communication. The strange things is: that it behaves different on WIN XP than on WIN 2000.

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next