General discussion

Certificate Services Windows 2003 Enterprise

By milun ·
Trying to install certificate services on win2003 ent edition will not allow me to check Enterprise root CA-greyed out. I ADS is installed..and yes..i am a member of Enterprise Admin group.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Certficate Services W2k3 Enterprise CA

by paulboerefijn In reply to Certificate Services Wind ...

It's an year later, so i don't expect you're waiting for an answer anymore. I had exactly the same problem, i was searching for an week or so, that's long enough to save another some time.

The problem is that you have no Global Catalog server in your Active Directory. Check this with Microsofts KB313994.

To create a new global catalog: 1. On the domain controller where you want the new global catalog, start the Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in. To start the snap-in, click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Sites and Services.
2. In the console tree, double-click Sites, and then double-click sitename.
3. Double-click Servers, click your domain controller, right-click NTDS Settings, and then click Properties.
4. On the General tab, click to select the Global catalog check box to assign the role of global catalog to this server.
5. Restart the domain controller

Collapse -

Enterprise CA problems

by michaeltock In reply to Certficate Services W2k3 ...

You say this solution is to fix the problem of unable to install an Enterprise CA? My problem is the enterprise CA is greyed out. I did look and see if my domain controller was also a global catalog, and it was.

Collapse -

Enterprise CA Problems

by paulboerefijn In reply to Enterprise CA problems

That's correct. After adding an global catalog i could choose for Enterprise CA. Before adding this global catalog i could only choose the two StandAlone CA options.

I wish you success searching an solution.

Collapse -

CA problems

by michaeltock In reply to Enterprise CA Problems

My domain was already a global catalog. By default the first domain created in the forest which is called the forest root domain is a global catalog. I am now wondering why you had to select that manually. Is this the first Domain created in your network structure?

Well your fix did not help, will have to keep on looking.

Collapse -

Catalog Server

by paulboerefijn In reply to CA problems

Your right. It's an old domain, coming from NT 4. After migration to Active Directory the the first AD controller is removed, we forgot to assign a GC to another AD controller. It's only for demonstration purposes, you know, so it's done quick and dirty.

Collapse -

Ca problems

by michaeltock In reply to Catalog Server

So any Idea why after creating my first Domain in my network why the enterprise CA choice is greyed out.

Collapse -

CA Enterprise greyed out

by paulboerefijn In reply to Ca problems

You must be a member of the Enterprise Admins group. Your ADS and GC must be running well and your DNS has to be correctly configured.

Collapse -

check the DNS

by neshon In reply to Ca problems

Check the event viewer and see if you are receiving any error.

Collapse -

@michaeltock, any other problems...?

by rimpac99 In reply to Ca problems

Hey michaeltock, are you sure the only problem you have is with the CA?
This problem is easily resolved. What about the other problems you have raised in other forums? Have you found a solution to them? Let me know if you havent. I have your phone number and I can help you out with them.

Back to IT Employment Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

General Discussion Forums