General discussion

Change IP address scheme Win 2003

By jmoody76 ·
I am running a Windows 2003 Small Business Server and am using a 192.168.0.x class c network. I have lots of trouble using vpn because the 192.168.0.x network seems to be very common so I want to change to something else. My first question is what is a good one to use that would be a little less common? Second how do I go about changing my network to using something else? This server runs DNS, Exchange, VPN, and is the DC. I tried moving to a different set of ip addresses on a test network and could not get DNS functioning again so my Active Directory was all screwed up. How can I do this to get everything up and running again? Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Change IP address scheme ...

Well, you have 3 choices for internal IP address schemes that are not Internet routable. The 192.168.0.0 range is probably the most popular, but there can be problems. If you use that range, and the location you are VPNing into also uses that range for their internal machines, then your packets don't leave your network to go to theirs. That's probably what you are experiencing.
You can also use the 172.16.0.0 network, and/or the 10.0.0.0 network range.
I won't go into specifics on why these also work, but those are your choices.
Say you decided to use the 10.0.0.0 range. You would just set every machine on your LAN to be in that range (10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, etc, and you could use a Class A subnet mask of 255.0.0.0), and then make sure your internal DNS reflects these new IP addresses for all machines correctly. Don't forget to check the Reverse Lookup Zone in DNS also. You would need on for this new IP range.
Re-IPing a network is a complex, detailed task, so plan it out first before you do it. But it's not that difficult.
Good luck.

Collapse -

by jmoody76 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jmoody76 In reply to Change IP address scheme ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)