id="info"

Question

Change Local Administrator Password on Multiple Machines in a 2003 Domain

By danielt17 ·
I have an issue where a mischievous employee figured out the administrator password of the local workstations. He is pretty much computer illiterate and I am more annoyed and feel security has been undermined than anything else.

This situation has brought up a rather important issue. How to change the administrator passwords on local workstations in a 2003 domain without going to each workstation individually. I heard of 3rd party tools doing this, but I'm not too keen on the idea of installing software that is not really needed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Use net user command

by laman In reply to Change Local Administrato ...

To change the user password using command line option, you can use "net user" command. Please have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149427.

If you combine this with the at command you can run the command on different machines, e.g. at \\<machine name> <time> cmd /c net user Administrator anythingyouwant
e.g. at \\savilljohn 18:00 cmd /c net user Administrator password

The /c after cmd causes the command window to close after the command has been executed. An alternative to the at command would be the soon command:
soon \\<machine name> cmd /c net user Administrator password

For this to work you will need to ensure the Scheduler (Task Scheduler) service is running on the destination machines.

Collapse -

Connect to

by clarkd038 In reply to Change Local Administrato ...

In Xp when you go to Computer-Manage you can go to tools i believe and then connect to, enter the computer and you are in their users, and can change the local admin pwd.

Collapse -

thanks

by danielt17 In reply to Change Local Administrato ...

thank you for your help. much appreciated

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums