General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Changing Default Calendar in Outlook – Workaround Available…

by john ·

This is a reply to a previous poster who cancelled his thread after being told there was no good way to change the default calendar in outlook. The caveat is that this is a brute force way to do it, but it works:

1 – Create a new pst file

2 – Copy the contacts, tasks, inbox, and calendar that you want as defaults to this new file.

2a close outlook

3 – Change the name of the previous pst file

4 – Restart outlook – it will freak out and tell you the file is gone.

5 open your new pst file if it is not already open within outlook

6 close outlook

7 open outlook

Outlook will now face the hard reality that you have a new file and make the items within your new pst its defaults. I’ve been using this method for years through many upgrades and inbox changes and it works like a charm, ugly though it is.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Changing Default Calendar in Outlook – Workaround – Details Please!

by jmg2525 ·

In reply to Changing Default Calendar in Outlook – Workaround Available…

John, this is exactly what I need to do but I am not a tech person and need more details about how and also, is there a way to undo this change if I have a problem? Please see my questions in BOLD below and thank you for your help.
      Jodi
      1 – Create a new pst file – HOW?

2 – Copy the contacts, tasks, inbox, and calendar that you want as defaults to this new file. – WHERE FROM? HOW?

2a close outlook
      3 – Change the name of the previous pst file
      4 – Restart outlook – it will freak out and tell you the file is gone.

5 open your new pst file if it is not already open within outlook

6 close outlook

7 open outlook

Outlook will now face the hard reality that you have a new file and make the items within your new pst its defaults. I’ve been using this method for years through many upgrades and inbox changes and it works like a charm, ugly though it is.

info on creating new PST

by solarwes ·

In reply to Changing Default Calendar in Outlook – Workaround – Details Please!

In Outlook, go to “Import and Export” and then “Export to a file”. Choose “Personal Folder File”. Then select the folders you want as your defaults: your inbox, tasks, contacts, and calendar.

Then change the name of your default PST file (can be found by going to “Tools” -> “Account Settings” and clicking the “Data files” tab). This has to be renamed while Outlook is closed. Then when you restart Outlook, it won’t be able to find it and you can point it to the PST file that you just exported.

Note: Always backup your PST files before attempting something like this, just in case something goes wrong. The default PST file whose name you changed acts as a backup, because it contains everything from your current setup. After creating a new PST, you can import anything you want from this namechanged PST (like the folders that you didn’t want as your defaults).

Default pst file

by anthony.j.foster ·

Can you tell me where the default PST file is stored so I can rename it as outlined in your post

need further clarification

by nancy.fontaine ·

John, I have a similar problem. This post may work for me except when I follow your directions I cannot choose the shared calendar (instead of default) because I do not see the shared calendar. The calendar is user x’s calendar that he shares with user Y. User Y wants to see user S’s calendar instead of her (user Y’s) default calendar so that she can see User X’s calendar on her blackberry not hers. (She does not use her own calendar for anything). Hope this makes sense and you can help me.

Changing default calendar

by mike ·

How is a new pst file created?

John, Can you help me?

by matt1379 ·

John,
      I would love to try what you did but need a little more detail.

Is there a number I can call you at?
      I am unclear what the pst file is and exactly how you did it. I want outlook to look at another calendar from msn. My blackberry will only sync with the default calendar. When you modified the default calendar, did your handheld sync with the new calendar? Was your new calendar a 3rd party calendar?

Changing Default Calendar in OUtlook

by matt1379 ·

In reply to John, Can you help me?

let me know asap. thanks for the advise.

Viewing 4 reply threads