General discussion

Cisco 1000 Router

By dean ·
I have an old Cisco Router, model 1005. I am just starting to get my feet wet with using routers and thought playing with this might be a good way to start, since it was just sitting on a shelf not getting used.

The person who configured this unit is no longer around so I do not know the password. I have heard there is a way to reset the unit like it is brand new. I have looked on Cisco's homepage and have not found how to do this. I can connect to the rounter threw the console port and the serial port off my PC, just don't know the password.

Also what books are out there that comes highly recommended for a pure beginner on routers.

Thanks,
Dean

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Cisco 1000 Router

Yes, with the Cisco IOS, you have to break into the Configuration Register, change it, then boot the router normally. At that point, there will be no password. You can then set a password to one you will want to use, then set the config register to what it was originally.
Kind of fun to do! You need to be on the Console port (with the rollover cable and a Hyperterminal session running) to do this.
Here is a page with details:
http://tinyurl.com/25ctk

Collapse -

by dean In reply to

Thank you very much, this helped a lot.

Collapse -

by dean In reply to Cisco 1000 Router

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)