General discussion

Cisco 2651 Dual Fast Ethernet Router, 12.4IPb.

By muddin ·
Problem is with my limited Cisco knowledge. Basically I wanted to prepare for my Cisco certifications and do some Networking testing
I have managed to contact the seller and he will send me the output of ?show version? tomorrow.
It is a Cisco 2651 Dual Fast Ethernet Router with
IOS 12.4 IPb.
Memory 64D/32F.

Also it has two Ethernet ports, according to the seller I should be able to connect my ADSL Router to one port and 2600 switch (probably on the Trunking port on the switch) onto the other Ethernet port.

I am not sure either, if I can make the Netgear in bridge mode ( it has everything built in not much management). If I can't go to the Internet still I should be able to do all my preparation locally?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

yep you can hook up your 2600 right to the internet

by CG IT In reply to Cisco 2651 Dual Fast Ethe ...

or you can put it behind an existing router.

The nice part if you have 2 ethernet ports.

Google how to connect your router to the internet. There are various articles on how to do this. No matter whether your hooking it up directly to the internet or hooking it up behind another router, the commands are basically the same.

Here's one from the web site network newbie...

http://networking-newbie.blogspot.com/2008/10/configure-cisco-router-to-work-with.html

Collapse -

With the Cisco 2651 Dual Fast Ethernet Router.

by muddin In reply to yep you can hook up your ...

CG IT thanks for the Networking newbie address.

I have the following hardware
Netgear ADSL DG834PN Router
2950 12 port Switch
2651 Router

Can I configure like this:

Firstly remove DHCP services from the ADSL box and connect it to the 1st Ethernet port of the Router. This first port will get IP from my ISP's DHCP server.Configure NAT for IP translation.

Secondly, Connect the switch(in Trunk port) to the 2nd port of the Router and configure the Router as DHCP server with Scopes etc. All PCs will connect to the other ports of the switch.

Currently my ADSL Router is my DGway in my existing network. Shall I keep the ADSL router as it is as per as IP settings?

Collapse -

When you get the IOS image name

by NetMan1958 In reply to Cisco 2651 Dual Fast Ethe ...

from the "show version" output, post it here and I will show you how to look up it's features on cisco.com. Then you will know what you can do with the router.

Collapse -

I have booked the Router 2651

by muddin In reply to When you get the IOS imag ...

and will pay after you check ("show version" command)and confirm the router's IOS will support the basic commands i.e. DHCP features etc.

Collapse -

show version output

by muddin In reply to When you get the IOS imag ...

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.4(21), RELEASE

SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 10-Jul-08 01:21 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(6r), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 minute

System returned to ROM by reload

System image file is "flash:c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-21.bin"

Cisco 2651 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0.0) with 61772K/3764K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID ???????????????

M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2

2 FastEthernet interfaces

32K bytes of NVRAM.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Collapse -

That looks good

by NetMan1958 In reply to show version output

That will support most if not all features that you will need. To see everything that image supports, go to:
http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp
Click on "Search by Image" and enter the image name (c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-21.bin) and click on "Continue". Then click on the link for your platform.

Collapse -

I will purchase this Router

by muddin In reply to That looks good
Collapse -

Can I not have two VLANs in a Cisco 2950/12prt Switch?

by muddin In reply to That looks good

VLAN 1: 10.65.195.2 255.255.254.0
VLAN 2: 10.65.196.2 255.255.254.0

DGW of my network 10.65.194.1

After creating the VLAN 2 I could not ping to VLAN 1 anymore. Then I realized it was shutdown( in output of "sh run" command). If I "no shutdown" to VALN 1, VLAN 2 gets shutdown automatically. So I can have only one VLAN active?

When initially I tried to create VLAN 2 with the IP 10.65.195.3 it was saying something it's elapsing with VLAN 1, so I did with 10.65.196.2.
Is there any limitation for IP addresses distance between two VLANs?

Collapse -

Management VLAN

by NetMan1958 In reply to Can I not have two VLANs ...

"Note: You can assign the ports of a Layer 2 Catalyst Switch to multiple VLANs, but the switch only supports one active management VLAN interface at a time and other switched virtual interfaces (SVIs) do not up/up because of Layer 2 functionality. Therefore, the switch supports only one active management Layer 3 address. On a Layer 2 Catalyst Switch, you can issue the optional management command under the new SVI in order to automatically shut down VLAN 1 and transfer the IP address to the new VLAN."

See this article for more info:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009478e.shtml

Collapse -

Is my 2950 switch a layer 2 switch?

by muddin In reply to Management VLAN

I like when you cross-reference to OSI levels. Please give me the difference between catalyst and non-catalyst switch?

Ran "show vtp status" to a similar 2950 switch it says

VTP version 2
Maximum VLANs supported locally 64.

Will my Switch support two vlans(ping between vlans etc.). I wanted to just see connectivty of two vlans.

Back to Networks Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums