Question

Cisco 2924 switch is blocking my Windows networking

By william.lamb ·
I'm running a Cisco 2924 switch on my home network which is very reliable and is doing a great job, except for one thing: My Windows machines cannot see each other on the network. I know it's the switch because I can hook two machines up with a crossover cable and they see each other fine.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? I know how to open a console and log in to IOS, but I just don't know where to look for what's causing the problem.

Back when I had a service contract with Cisco, the technician set up a configuration that blocked extraneous traffic between computers, but allowed valid communications. Unfortunately, he missed something and Windows network has never functioned. I would just as soon drop the internal firewall and let machines on my own network communicate with each other freely. Any information about how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

startup-config

by Triathlete1981 In reply to Cisco 2924 switch is bloc ...

erase the startup-config file. maybe there's some vlans or ACLs that the Cisco tech left in there that you don't need anymore.

even if your computers are on the same subnet, if they're connected to switch ports that are set up to only reside on certain subnets, you're screwed.

erasing the startup-config will get rid of all port configurations that may have been set up and return the switch to its original factory default which means allowing all traffic. and since it's only a switch, there's no problem about unwanted traffic. that's handled by your router.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums