General discussion

Cisco 6509 vs Alcatel Omnicore 5052

By niqbal ·
I am involve in upgrading of LAN in our organization and its very diffcult for me to choose from Cisco 6509 and Omnicore 5052 core switches for the backbone. Any suggestions.?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by briana In reply to Cisco 6509 vs Alcatel Omn ...

I was curious to some of your findings. I'm also in the process of upgrading our networking hardware & have been looking at the Cisco 6509 chassis as well as Extreme Networks Black Diamond 6808 chassis. thks

Collapse -

by niqbal In reply to Cisco 6509 vs Alcatel Omn ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by beersj In reply to Cisco 6509 vs Alcatel Omn ...

We went through the same exact decision making process several months back. I took a long hard look at the 6509 and the 5052. I sat with Cisco and Alcatel engineers. From a raw throughput point of view - the 5052 wins hands down (in my opinion). You cannot saturate the box - it's engineered to handle any amount of traffic you can throw at it. Now to the next level - software. IOS is a mature product and beats out the OS on the 5052. We are a small-medium sized shop and we can deal with the gradual improvements in the 5052's OS. One nice aspect of the 5052 is that Alcatel is constantly adding new features and is responsive to suggestions. Service between the two is about the same. Alcatel support falls all over itself to help when a call is placed and their follow through is good. The depth of the support is not the same as Cisco, however. Their web site is not as extensive as Cisco's, but again, we aren't a 7x24 shop, so we can live that. We also purchased Alcatel's 6024 stackable switch and are please with it's performance. Overall, we are glad that we went with Alcatel and look forward to a continued relationship with them. If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)