General discussion

Client software for Windows 2000 v4.8

By jtoscano ·
I am supporting a DOS application that is run from a Novell Netware 5 server. This application requires that I have a timeout setting of 30 seconds on all of the captured printer queues. When I installed the Client for NT/2000 v4.8 with SP3 applied I noticed that the timeout settings are disabled. In the properties of the client there is no longer a setting for the timeout setting and even if I add the capture statements to the login script the timeout settings on these Windows 2000 Pro clientsare ignored.
Is there a way to enable the timeout setting in the client and if there isn't how do I get the statements in the login script to execute properly?
Novell has been no help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by erikdr In reply to Client software for Windo ...

Don't think that this is Novells problem.

W2K, just like NT but even more, does have limitations in its DOS emulation. One of them has to do with direct printing to LPT ports (including captured ports) instead of the Windows-style of queue names.
Probably, the Novell capture cannot do the timeout because the W2K emulation (!) of a DOS LPT device is too limited for that.

So sooner or later, some legacy apps DO have to be changed or even replaced when you want to change their underlying platform...

Have fun,

<Erik> - The Netherlands

Collapse -

by mm212 In reply to Client software for Windo ...

In the lines that do the capturing in your login script, add the option ti=30. For example if you have a print queue named printer:
Capture L=1 Q=Printer nb nt nff nnoti ti=30
nb=no banner
nt=no tabs
nff=no form feed
nnoti=no notify
ti=timemout in seconds

Collapse -

by jtoscano In reply to Client software for Windo ...

Poster rated this answer

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums