General discussion

Compaq 4716 proprietary unit-modem troub

By imagepls ·
Compaq 4716 proprietary unit
I am upgrading a compaq 4716 unit to win2k. The old modem was a compaq 336=vsc isa. I replaced it with an intel(R) 536ep v.92. I set it up in dial up & networking but all I get when I attemp to connect is a prolong "opening port" dialog box which ends with a "connection failed because modem was not found" dialog box

Can anyone Help! I am new to this and even newer to the compaq box.

Thanks,
Imagepls

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Compaq 4716 proprietary u ...

Make sure that you have the latest W2K driver from Intels Developer site.

From Control Panel / Modems, remove any listed modems.

Re-boot, and direct the device driver wizzard to use the Intel driver.

Chas

Collapse -

by imagepls In reply to Compaq 4716 proprietary u ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by mrjay67 In reply to Compaq 4716 proprietary u ...

just to add a litle...If you have the latest drivers or once you get them, you may want to remove the drivers(goto device manager and uninstall. May also check add/remove programs after that). Once you remove the drivers, shutdown and remove the card and boot back up with out the modem. This will usually help clear the system of any residual drivers trying to load. Once the drivers are reloaded check to make sure its using the correct comport. Sometimes software using the modem will default to com2 and the modem will be on com3 or com5. Most modems(internal) were designed for com2. Make sure all the old modem drivers are gone or not showing up. You may also need to check your BIOS settings. Its possible that the compaq BIOS is trying to retain original settings and not allowing the new modem to grab the right info. Check settings there and make sure there is nothing stopping the modem there. Modems are sometimes tricky you may just have to try a few times.
If you can simply update drivers like the 1st answer thats great but i have had to jump through hoops on some modems when they dont work the 1st time. Really from the sounds of it, it's either com port issues or the driver.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ron In reply to Compaq 4716 proprietary u ...

Something else to check is reboot in SAFE mode.
Check the Device Manager panel for any duplicate entries (esp. in the modems section).
I've noticed Windows doesnt always report all the devices it thinks are installed in normal mode.
Remove any ofthem that no longer apply to this specific set of hardware. You might try removing the current modem drivers as well. Giving you a fresh driver install on reboot.

Ron Velotta

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)